Any c25k newbies?

Options

Replies

• TinyChestnut
    Options
    I just completed week 1 and can't wait to start week two!
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Just finished week 8, for the third time. Not a newb, but I love that it gets easier every time!
  • geishastitches
    geishastitches Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I recently started. I just completed week 2. Today wasn't that easy. haha It was not MY plan to do this (it was my bf) but I am a week ahead of him and we usually run together. I'll probably repeat this week again (maybe) but I know that I did my 3 days of it.

Did anyone gain the first week? I did. However, I seem to be toning and my weight has started to move. Hope I can stick with it.
  • badcemom
    badcemom Posts: 50
    Options
    That sounds about right. When I started, I walked at 3.8 and ran at 5.0. I would get close to 2 miles. Your distance will increase as your running intervals get longer and if you go faster.

I just finished week 2 today had to go slower in the running I'm nursing a hip pain I've had for a couple years now. Anyways doing this has actually helped but today im sore... Anyways my 30 mins on the treadmill only equals out too a mile in a half?! I walk at abt 3mph and run between 4 and 5mph I was just wondering if it's normal at first to only do a mile in abt 18-20 mins.. I just feel like it should be more?!
  • Walking2Lose
    Walking2Lose Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have not started this yet, but thinking about it. I wanted to read what people are saying about it. I have bad knees so I am not even sure if running is an option for me or not.
  • getrealgirl
    getrealgirl Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Next run up is the "dreaded Week 5 Day 3" 20 minute continuous run. The innocent bystanders at the park where I ran today got an earful of me yelling at myself to get through the last 2 1/2 minutes of today's run. I hope the park is empty day after tomorrow! Would be quite embarrassing for someone to call a medic for me! :embarassed:
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I have not started this yet, but thinking about it. I wanted to read what people are saying about it. I have bad knees so I am not even sure if running is an option for me or not.

I have osteoarthritis in both knees, and have had steroid injections to repair the medial collateral ligament in one of them. I am currently on week 10 of c210k, graduated C25k a couple of weeks ago. So it is possible BUT if your knees hurt you must stop. I am not a medical practitioner but you must listen to your body. If it hurts find something else to do. I do not know what is wrong with your "bad knees" but I would not wreck them more for the sake of saying I could run a little bit before not being able to run at all, ever again. Hope you are pain free and enjoy whatever you decide to do.

Added
    You will have a dilemma soon, buying well fitted running shoes from a running store versus using whatever trainers you have. The running community advise replacing changing running shoes every 400-500 miles as the material that softens the impacts of running becomes less effective at that sort of mileage. Getting those shoes properly fitted may save your bad knees but might be an investment you cannot or will not make for something you may not enjoy. It is not an easy choice to make and depends on personal circumstances. Good luck with whatever course of action you decide to take.
  • nokitchen
    nokitchen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    nokitchen- 341 calories for under 2 miles sounds like too much. Usually roughly 100 calories a mile is about right (more if you're obese, though).
    You know, that almost certainly explains at least part of the difference. The C25K app doesn't even have a guess at my weight, so I'm guessing it's going off some standard chart and probably taking a lighter weight. On the other hand, MapMyWalk apparently hasn't been synching fully with this website so it thought I was 20 pounds heavier than I am. I don't know if that's because it synched earlier or if I changed it myself at some point and forgot about it.

Either way, again I'm just curious. For planning purposes I'm taking "credit" for the lower number and if that means I lose weight a little faster, well I suppose I can live with that outcome. :-)
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Next run up is the "dreaded Week 5 Day 3" 20 minute continuous run. The innocent bystanders at the park where I ran today got an earful of me yelling at myself to get through the last 2 1/2 minutes of today's run. I hope the park is empty day after tomorrow! Would be quite embarrassing for someone to call a medic for me! :embarassed:

If you have completed the rest of the programme you will be fine, remember you can always go slower at the start of the 20 minuter and speed up towards of the end if it is "too easy". Perhaps you should have been talking to yourself from the start to ensure you had the right pace:tongue: Have fun, I am sure you will be successful.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    nokitchen- 341 calories for under 2 miles sounds like too much. Usually roughly 100 calories a mile is about right (more if you're obese, though).
    You know, that almost certainly explains at least part of the difference. The C25K app doesn't even have a guess at my weight, so I'm guessing it's going off some standard chart and probably taking a lighter weight. On the other hand, MapMyWalk apparently hasn't been synching fully with this website so it thought I was 20 pounds heavier than I am. I don't know if that's because it synched earlier or if I changed it myself at some point and forgot about it.

Either way, again I'm just curious. For planning purposes I'm taking "credit" for the lower number and if that means I lose weight a little faster, well I suppose I can live with that outcome. :-)

I stopped everything synching with MFP, I spent more time correcting entries than putting them in manually in the first place. YMMV, but I found that the Strava/ Endomondo/ Mysports all over cooked the benefits of exercise. They all seemed to be almost double. I have a simplistic method linked to a pedometer which has worked for the last 6 months and until it ceases to be roughly right, I'll keep with it.
  • JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK Posts: 159
    Options

I'm doing the dreaded 20 minute continuous run tomorrow - and am planning to go out at dawn when no one else is around to see (or hear me cursing) :smile:

Good luck with it!
  • tennisgirl444
    tennisgirl444 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Week 4 tomorrow or Tuesday and I'm pretty petrified! Although, I've been scared at the start of every week and I've made it through all the workouts so far :-).
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Being nervous is absolutely fine, you will succeed. I know you said scared, I am reading nervous. Good luck
  • danifarias
    Options
    Just did w1 d1. I thought i was gonna die. Served as a reality shock on how sedentary I am - the first minute of running was complete hell, and in the last one i wasn't running anymore, I was throwing my body around somehow. Wow.
    My hips hurt. :p

1h and a shower later I feel good though. Let's see how this goes. :)
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options

I'm doing the dreaded 20 minute continuous run tomorrow - and am planning to go out at dawn when no one else is around to see (or hear me cursing) :smile:

Good luck with it!

I'm due to do 20 minutes on Tue. I did 2 x 8 minutes today, I never thougt I could run for 8 minutes.

best of luck
  • JCLondonUK
    Options

Good luck with it!

I'm due to do 20 minutes on Tue. I did 2 x 8 minutes today, I never thougt I could run for 8 minutes.

best of luck

I know the feeling - I was amazed that I could do the 8 minutes yesterday without dying :-)
    Good luck on Tuesday. Keep us posted.
  • JCLondonUK
    Options
    Just did w1 d1. I thought i was gonna die. Served as a reality shock on how sedentary I am - the first minute of running was complete hell, and in the last one i wasn't running anymore, I was throwing my body around somehow. Wow.
    My hips hurt. :p

1h and a shower later I feel good though. Let's see how this goes. :)

Keep at it - it does get easier, I promise, and is a real buzz as you see how much better you get.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I switched to Zombies Run 5K app and am on week 3, I think. I didn't feel ready to move on from week 5 of C25k and was tired of repeating. ZR5K is a little different.

I tried it with my knees wrapped today and I think that helped. I think I might try some actual knee braces with lateral support. I just have loose tendons and running is the toughest thing for me.

Good work, everyone!
  • MamaGab92
    MamaGab92 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I had been moving along and had gotten to Week 4 Day 2 and then before I could do day 3, our local annual festival came to town and blocked off the park where I usually run. I didn't like my other options of places to run so I skipped the rest of that week and then between rainy weather and back-to-school busy-ness with my kids, I skipped another week.

Finally last night I went back to the park to start running again. I back-tracked and did Week 3 Day 1 because I'm going to repeat Week 3 again and go from there. (When I had done Week 4 Day 2, I wasn't able to finish the last run. It was just a bit too much to deal with. I knew after a week and a half off I wouldn't be able to just jump back into Week 4 Day 3.)

Anyway, I couldn't believe how easy W3D1 was!! I had a natural rhythm to the run and the breathing was nothing at all. Plus I just naturally went faster than I had before. I was surprised that after taking a break I would jump back into it so easily. I'm excited to get back on track!
  • pmalcolm
    pmalcolm Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi

By way of apps
    Available for both android and ipthones

Good luck, I might be hard at first (at least thats how I felt,) but I think it will be workt