Any c25k newbies?

Options

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    When mine missed it one day, I let it run beside me while I sat on the couch and at the end I hit send so it would track on facebook.
    I don't post mine anywhere but I noticed a lot of my workouts weren't getting checked off by the app, so it'd default to the wrong workout when I opened it, which bothered me a little. I must've been closing the app too soon or wrong or something. I fiddled with the 'skip' looking button and figured it out it skipped the workout ahead to the next track or next minute in a long track. So I was able to re-start and skip through the completed workouts to get them checked off, without letting them run their whole time length again.

I use a Droid phone which I don't store music on so I downloaded some free MP3s from Google Play to try with the app and I can't even find them on the phone. My next phone is going to be an iPhone 6, I think.
  • carpetbelly
    carpetbelly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the program for a couple of months. I am still on week one due to my weight and knee pain. I enjoy it but am going at my own pace.

Dont worry, I'm in the same boat...
    I'm still enjoying it :)
    2nd month in and this week just managed to do w1d1 and today w1d2! :D
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the program for a couple of months. I am still on week one due to my weight and knee pain. I enjoy it but am going at my own pace.

Dont worry, I'm in the same boat...
    I'm still enjoying it :)
    2nd month in and this week just managed to do w1d1 and today w1d2! :D

For both of you, I would seriously think about forgetting to try to use c25k to get you to run. I would be inclined to use it as a motivation to go walking and use the run/jog intervals as walking faster. Depending on how it goes just use the app daily. On IOS zen labs do the C210k as a freebie, that would get you walking about an hour a day, in a structured manner. Given the issues you both have, I am impressed you have persevered, I am not sure I would have. Once you have gone through it walking I would have another go at the run/walk intervals. I hope you enjoy whatever programme you continue with.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I finished up the C25K program using the Active app this past weekend. Yay me!

Overall, I am very pleased with having finished but a little disappointed in the results. I'm not certain I could complete a 5k on the run...it'd probably be close, though. On my 30 minute intervals, I was able to run about 2.6 miles, so that's still half a mile shy of 5k, but I could've kept going. It's just a question of how long.

Pace was never a strength for me, either, as I was usually between 11:15-12:30/mile.

I felt like my breathing/cardio was ok. I was breathing hard but not panting.

My biggest issue seemed to be tired legs. Some days they just felt like lead. The first couple of minutes were usually the worst but after that, I'd get into a rhythm and sort of grind it out until the end but I never did lose that heavy legs feeling.

Now that I've finished the program, I'm diving into the Zombie 5k app and seeing if I can't start working on my pace and better endurance.
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Overall, I am very pleased with having finished but a little disappointed in the results. I'm not certain I could complete a 5k on the run...it'd probably be close, though. On my 30 minute intervals, I was able to run about 2.6 miles, so that's still half a mile shy of 5k, but I could've kept going. It's just a question of how long.

Pace was never a strength for me, either, as I was usually between 11:15-12:30/mile.

My biggest issue seemed to be tired legs. Some days they just felt like lead. The first couple of minutes were usually the worst but after that, I'd get into a rhythm and sort of grind it out until the end but I never did lose that heavy legs feeling.

Now that I've finished the program, I'm diving into the Zombie 5k app and seeing if I can't start working on my pace and better endurance.

Congrats!! I know I'm only at week 8 (28 minute runs) and even my kids said wow mom, I'm surprised you survived that run LOL So I can only imagine how tough the 30 minutes will be. I feel also that I will be falling short of the 5k especially since you have the 5 minute warm up in the beginning also. I look forward to finishing because I would like to try the Zombie Run app, but don't want to mix the two together. Let me know how you enjoy it!!
  • hangryrunner
    Options
    Hi guys.
    I did my first C25K run last night and I loved it!
    I have done the programme in the past and was successful, but I stopped running and haven't been out for about 5 months, so slowly building myself back up again.
    Looking forward to my second run tonight, got some new running shoes to try out too, not that I don't have enough pairs already LOL.
  • Kim24S
    Kim24S Posts: 22
    Options
    I started the C210K workout 3 weeks ago. I had to take a week off because of blisters from a weekend hike, and tonight will be my Week 2 Day 3 work out. It is kicking my *kitten* but I love it.
  • ftrobbie
    Options

Well done on finishing, you might want to consider giving yourself more rest between sessions although it also depends on what else you have been doing. Your body gets stronger on the rest days. The run days cause the stimulation for the repair to happen. Good luck with Z5k
  • ftrobbie
    Options

Congrats!! I know I'm only at week 8 (28 minute runs) and even my kids said wow mom, I'm surprised you survived that run LOL So I can only imagine how tough the 30 minutes will be. I feel also that I will be falling short of the 5k especially since you have the 5 minute warm up in the beginning also. I look forward to finishing because I would like to try the Zombie Run app, but don't want to mix the two together. Let me know how you enjoy it!!

I have every faith you will finish it, good luck
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Hi guys.
    I did my first C25K run last night and I loved it!
    I have done the programme in the past and was successful, but I stopped running and haven't been out for about 5 months, so slowly building myself back up again.
    Looking forward to my second run tonight, got some new running shoes to try out too, not that I don't have enough pairs already LOL.

Welcome back, break those shoes in carefully
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    I started the C210K workout 3 weeks ago. I had to take a week off because of blisters from a weekend hike, and tonight will be my Week 2 Day 3 work out. It is kicking my *kitten* but I love it.

You might be better off in the bridge to 10k group where there is a check in thread to report progress, I have found that informative and inspiring about the challenges of slightly longer distances. If I was not on the iPad I'd set up a link, I think it is bridge to 10k. If I get a chance later on I'll add the link
  • madierdorf
    madierdorf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just finished W4D3 I slowed it down a little. Want to have fun with it. I did 1.99 miles in 31 min. .88 walking. I wonder what is everyone else's stats at this point in the training? Any pointers? All opinions and help appreciared:-)
  • motivated2419
    motivated2419 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second day. I love the app. It is so simple to understand.
  • yanastt55
    Options
    Tomorrow is my 3rd day of c25k :) I'm doing the program with a friend and it's actually great. I love it! :)
  • Tiredtummum
    Tiredtummum Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am going out in 1 hour to do day 1 of Wk 3 - I have loved it so far and done it every other day - Today is the first day where my knees are aching at the thought and I could happily just slog in my PJ's but hey - I can do that afterwards! I have to be out walking my dog anyway so now I just put my headphones on and go - 3 min intervals today - gulp! I have never been a runner but think it is a fab programme - great to hear so many positive stories!
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Week 8 Day 2 complete!! Woohoo!!!! So close to the end!!!
  • yanastt55
    Options
    Me and my friend have been doing the c25k program for 1 week.Next time we have to do Week 2 Day 1. We are running on Monday , Wednesday and Friday. The thing is that my friend can't come in Monday and my question is whether we can do the Monday running on Sunday and then continue on Wednesday????????? Thank you .
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    as long as you have at least 1 day's rest in between you will be fine :)
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 7 Run 2 today. Interestingly, I did a 1 mile 'fitness test' run (via Endomondo app) before I started C25K and my time for 1 mile was 14m58s. I repeated the test yesterday and this time my mile time was 11m 59s.

Never thought I'd ever see myself running at this stage in my life (I'm 51)!
  • KaRa482
    KaRa482 Posts: 2
    Options
    I just finished week 2 today had to go slower in the running I'm nursing a hip pain I've had for a couple years now. Anyways doing this has actually helped but today im sore... Anyways my 30 mins on the treadmill only equals out too a mile in a half?! I walk at abt 3mph and run between 4 and 5mph I was just wondering if it's normal at first to only do a mile in abt 18-20 mins.. I just feel like it should be more?!