Any c25k newbies?

Options

Replies

• CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K and am really hoping this will be the time I can learn to enjoy running! I've found all your posts very inspiring. I had been thinking about starting for a while and then ended up signing up for a 5k to support a charity I volunteer for - it's not till November so I have plenty of time. I've been exercising pretty consistently for nearly a year and have lost 35lbs but still have 70lbs to lose. On vacation recently, walking around a hilly city, I realized how much my aerobic fitness needs to improve - carrying the extra weight doesn't help of course.

I'm actually excited to do W1D2 tomorrow! I am running outside (no gym membership) so I feel a bit of an idiot but try to remember that I'm lapping everyone on the couch!
    Signing up for a 5k is great motivation! Take it one day at a time, I know you can rock this!
  • rollinat
    rollinat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    General advice is that no one will be watching you. Most people are too busy thinking about themselves. Some people will wish it was them, some people will be in awe of your effort, most won't notice. Get out and enjoy it, from someone who wanted to hide in the gym. I wish you great success

Thanks! I will do - I'm lucky to live somewhere beautiful (if a bit hilly! ) so it's much nicer being outside!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many inspiring stories! :happy:

I did week 4, workout 1 yesterday and couldn't do the 5 min. runs. I made them 3. I just wasn't feeling it overall, though. I haven't taken a day off and probably should. And it might be time to start repeating weeks, too.
  • rollinat
    rollinat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K and am really hoping this will be the time I can learn to enjoy running! I've found all your posts very inspiring. I had been thinking about starting for a while and then ended up signing up for a 5k to support a charity I volunteer for - it's not till November so I have plenty of time. I've been exercising pretty consistently for nearly a year and have lost 35lbs but still have 70lbs to lose. On vacation recently, walking around a hilly city, I realized how much my aerobic fitness needs to improve - carrying the extra weight doesn't help of course.

I'm actually excited to do W1D2 tomorrow! I am running outside (no gym membership) so I feel a bit of an idiot but try to remember that I'm lapping everyone on the couch!
    Signing up for a 5k is great motivation! Take it one day at a time, I know you can rock this!

Thank you - I really want to get to the end of the program this time and am looking forward to being able to run for more than a minute at a time!
  • CarlaMomOf4
    Options
    General advice is that no one will be watching you. Most people are too busy thinking about themselves. Some people will wish it was them, some people will be in awe of your effort, most won't notice. Get out and enjoy it, from someone who wanted to hide in the gym. I wish you great success

^^ This statement is completely right. Now as a runner when I see others out running it makes me smile inside knowing what they are going through. Before I was a runner I was the one wishing I was those people. Run and be free!
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I noticed there are several different C25K apps. Do any of you have a favorite?
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I noticed there are several different C25K apps. Do any of you have a favorite?

I personally use zenlabs, simply to use and is now fairly bullet proof, oh and it's free. You can pay and go add free.
  • CarlaMomOf4
    Options
    Arg :( Couldn't find Rockmyrun on my market for Android. Booo.

I also use the Zenlabs app, have had no problems with it and it syncs to my music lists. Win/Win :happy:
  • ash_bodash12
    ash_bodash12 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am on day 2 of week 2! Im really enjoying myself so far. I also do it 5-6 days a weeks instead of 3. I feel like its not as hard to move on the the next week, that way I wont have to back track as much. My first 5k is in October, not trying to win, I just want to finish. I am also one of those people who used to hate running, and now I look forward to it everyday, and though I'm tired, I'm a little sad when its over.
  • FitAgain_2014
    Options
    Thanks for the words of encouragement!
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Just restarted, week 2 began today
    Pacing was a huge issue for me
  • unniexoxo
    unniexoxo Posts: 7
    Options
    I just started the other day... I am on day 2, week 1 and plan to do it in a few hours after a little nap. I honestly surprised myself and felt like I could run more, but I didn't want to overdo it on day 1. I use the Ease Into 5k app.
  • MandasFitnessPal
    Options
    I am halfway through week 3 - so far so good.

If you finish your 3 days in less than a week do you recommend moving onto the next week's program or repeating the same week workouts?
  • leahfrederiksen
    leahfrederiksen Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you feel you can then try to move on as soon as you can as it's easier than having a long break then going back into a new week. Make sure you are still having rest days though and are not over-doing it. :-)
  • FredSetToGetFit
    FredSetToGetFit Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I overdid week one and have shin splints now. Loved it though, and can't wait for my leg to heal so I can continue. I never thought I would love running. Always avoided it. :smile:
  • MandasFitnessPal
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.

I currently have a shoulder injury which meant I wasn't doing anything because I didn't know what to do!
    I have been doing the c25k program on Sunday, Monday and Wednesday and then not doing anything for the rest of the week beacause... well... I didn't know what to do!

As you can see, I need clear guidance.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    General advic e is to run every other day. Your body gets stronger on the rest days. You run to stress it, you rest to make it stronger. If you want something to do, low impacts exercises, just walk. Just don't over do it.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    I personally had some success today, W5D3 nailed and then screwed down. I went out for a session this morning, had seen on Strava that there were some segments locally, so decided I would run one of them. I felt so good when 10 mins came up that I made the decision to do both. By the time I had finished I had done 26 minutes, so went another 4 and did the 30mins. I now have a benchmark for the end of series 30 minute run. So despite dreading the twenty minuter, it was a pleasant experience in the end. I continue to wish you all success. Next session Sunday morning.
  • CarlaMomOf4
    Options
    Rain rain go away, I'd like to go on a run today.....

NOT in the pouring rain though ;)
  • VitaminAmy
    VitaminAmy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Really been wanting to start this! Need to find a safe place to run in my area (recently moved so unsure).