Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,341 Member
    Options
    Joyce - you are LOVE,:love::flowerforyou: :heart:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add, everyday my sister seems clearer. So I am really hoping it is her medicine that was causing the problem. But if that is so, then now her pain will get much worse and that makes Norma go get medicines out of back supplies she has to take care of it. She never throws away any medicine that has been stopped. As I have said, money speaks to my BIL and throwing away pills means throwing away money

Joyce, Indiana
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies (thank goodness its’ Friday)

It’s been a long work week, especially digging out from being on vacation last week. On top of that we had a pretty major organizational change, so everyone is now trying to figure out who is doing what. I figure it will take a good 30 days for everything to settle down from that. It makes it a bit harder as we are all so geographically separated, so everything takes longer.

Just completed my 3rd Physical Therapy session and my back is feeling pretty good. I have 5 more weeks, so am really anticipating good things.

:smile: Michelle – just got my 10 Minute Solution DVR.
    :smile: Viv – sorry about your fall. Funny, I also wait for the 3rd thing to happen, but glad nothing did in your case.
    :smile: Lcarrollccc1 – I sympathize 100%, I am also 51 and have 30 lbs to my goal weight and my scale is not budging at all. I watch what I eat, usually get 60 minutes of cardio in daily and strength trains 2-3 times a week, use my Fitbit and try to reach :smile: 15k steps each day. Would love to hear any menopause success stories.
    :smile: MNMargaret – disco in the park sounds like fun.
    :smile: Grandmallie – like your facebook quote, very funny.
    :smile: Karen – welcome to the group. In the right hand corner of the comment box there is "Add Smiley", if you click that it will provide you with various emoticons to choose from.

Everyone have a lovely weekend,
    Suzy
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Joyce here is a picture of the Hosta by my patio. I got a new digital camera in anticipation of the garden tour tomorrow, so I am playing with it today and learning how to share my pictures.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,814 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday! Well I have a new great grandson born Wednesday evening. Skylar Jay and he weighs 7-5 and 20 inches long. Lots and lots of dark hair, like his mom did when she was born. DH and I went over to the hospital last evening to welcome him to the family. I have dicided I do not like my pictures even more now that I have lost weight. My face looks so old. Last evening I was really depressed about it. And I let me eating take over. But doing better today and not giving up. Is anyone else finding problems with the way your face looks with losing weight? Sometimes when I look in the mirror I can't believe it is me. I am so upset with myself as this kind of thinking is not good. So going to say a prayer and give it to God and think postive. Thanks once again for listening. I know that I am very Blessed and I need to think about that and let the negtive thoughts go.
    Joyce--prayers to you and family. It is not an easy issue for sure.
    Margaret--Sorry to hear about sister, Sending prayers
    Lestan48--Sorry to hear about your DGD visit. Sounds like she is burning alot of bridges and someday she will be sorry.
    Meg--prayers for your friend. Glad to hear DD's date went well. I am to have blood work done in acouple weeks as have appointment with the doctor first part of August and plan to talk to him about the moods. He did tell me we can ajust the Zoloft as needed. Thanks for caring. Sure hope you enjoy your trip and have a great lunch with the CO group.
    Jane--pray the landlady does her part. I would think she would get right on this as she wants you out for the sale by a certain date. So did they say why they want to do more tests? Saying a prayer.
    Karen--congrates on the new size tops. One Day at a time and we will be there.
    Viv--Sorry to hear about your accidents, glad you are ok.
    Deb--so glad the tornado did not reach you. The weather this year is scary.
    Allison--our little tea cup poodle had to have all but three of teeth pulled and I was concerned he would not be able to eat. But the vet was right and he can eat whatever he wants when he wants. Pray Homer makes the ajustments well. I sure hope you feel better soon. Wednesday night I woke up several times with terrible cramps in my leg. In the side and walking and rubbing did not help. Have not had that happen in awhile.
    Pat--very wise words Thanks for sharing.
    dagonfly--yes you are posting right. Important thing is not to give up and remember this is a journey and we are all in this together.
    Sylvia--sorry to hear about your friends grandbaby, sending prayers.
    Cynthia--the weather this is year is strange. Acouple weeks ago we were driving home and it was flashling like someone was turning on and off a light switch.
    Tina--watching the birds sounds so relaxing. We have several that like to make nests under the porch roof. They get upset if we sit on the swing to long.
    DeeDee--breath
    Well I best get somethings done. Have our CMA meeting tonight and DH wants to spend tomorrow riding the motorcycle somewhere. I work alday Sunday so have to get busy. Take care and enjoy the day.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,341 Member
    Options
    Vicky - I have found, over several weight losses, that sometimes your face takes a while to catch up when you have lost weight. That is, after a while it fills out a bit again.
    Also, if you could be bothered you can do face exercises. I have been dojng a few for 16 months and I feel they are doing me good.
    Also I find a little bit of makeup works wonders, especially blusher if you are pale. Takes years off. Most thin people like actresses wear a lot of makeup to give life and lift to their faces. As we age we can all look a bit 'hangdog'.
    A bit of blusher and makeup and a smile work wonders!
    We will never be 18 again.
    But we will be healthy and the best we can be.
    You have done so well. You are terrific!

Heather in Hampshire UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,793 Member
    Options
    evening chica's~
    honest to goodness, I am trying but I guess not hard enough.. I come home and all I want to do is eat, and I do:explode:
    Homer is recouping nicely he even downed a few baby carrots..
    DH was so funny last night he was taking dog treats and biting them into little pieces for Homer to have :laugh:
    Homer is on antibiotic's for 2 weeks and something else for 3 days , so he should be just fine...
    Karen~ welcome I am in Ct also up in the middle of the state, and Rita , you'll see her pop in and out, is not far from me..
    you will love it here... we have all become wonderful friends and love each other very much.. when we are having a bad day, you come here and get boosted up..and if someone is having a problem and they need to vent we are here for that too..
    I love these ladies alot, even though we are spread across this big old world....

I just got the most beautiful card, from a great friend who happen's to be my DH ex... she and her DD came up to the lake to visit with her grandaughter's and we had the nicest time.. she sent a birthday card... and wrote such a nice note it made me cry
    . just got a call from the dgd step mom,they put the older DGD on birth control . she is 14 and I told you about the sexting thing, Amy wasnt to keen on it,but dad and Jillian said think this should be done...Amy has been under alot of stress,taking care of teenage girls, my stepdaughter(the girls mom) is a nut job and trying to play the girls against the dad and stepmom, These are teen girls, believe me I had one, I feel her pain, told her anything they need to just call us.. I am glad she did.. she lost her mom, so I am a surrogate I guess. glad I could help her out a little.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Karen: The emoticons appear above the writing space when you hit the reply button. The link is blue and says "Add Smiley." I live in Columbia County, Oregon. We have members from all over the world, mostly in the northern hemisphere. We do have a few people from “down under.” The international nature of this group adds a special quality to this group and understanding that women from all over have similar concerns and challenges. I’ve lost 70 pounds in about two years. I know that losing slowly can be frustrating, but the changes in habits and lifestyle are worth the time spent learning to live in a healthy way and to develop better habits.:flowerforyou:

DeeDee: You are missed around here. How long before they’re done renovating?:flowerforyou:

Joyce: You are a good sister. :flowerforyou:

Vicki: I think you are being overly critical of your new appearance. You look lovely, and healthy. :flowerforyou: Heather is right about the face catching up after a bit. At least mine has done some catching up. My arms have been catching up, too, and the skin is fitting better. I still don’t look twenty, and won’t ever look twenty again. DH says I now look fine. “You don’t have a turkey neck or wattles or nothin’.“ :ohwell: High praise.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Alison: I can’t think of a kinder and more generous person than you. I always feel like I need to remind you to take care of yourself, too.:flowerforyou:

I went shopping with DS and found a Christmas present I want to give to DH. I ordered it and paid for it. They’ll let me know when it arrives-likely months from now.

Have a great day.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • Mere144
    Mere144 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hello Lovelies,

I am looking for some motivation and support to stay vibrant and healthy as I stare down 50. I'm not totally sure how the message boards work so I'm diving in here since you all seem like a nice group. My longer term goals are to exercise daily (even if it's just 15 minutes of stretching) and be mindful of my diet by logging my food. I would love to lose 15 pounds - slowing my weight gain would be great too. :wink:

My goals for July are:

1) keep a daily appointment with my body between 8-10 am where I exercise, stretch, or walk for 15 minutes.

2) honestly log my food intake to have a better understanding of current eating habits

I like the accountability of a group. Is there a way to - gulp - :embarassed: give this group access to my log?

Thanks,

Meredith
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I cannot express the amount of joy I felt today! The girls and I dropped off their little brother after swimming and headed over to Joplin for our Girls Day Out. First, we went to the mall and ate at the food court, so everyone could choose what they wanted. Then had ice cream at the DQ right there in the food court. I had a pizza thing from Subway (big mistake, but oh well) We window shopped a little at the mall, since the girls had never been in a mall that big before (and trust me, the Joplin mall is not huge as malls go) and they were mesmerized by all the stores and kiosks. Then we went to Kohls for the big event!

When we walked in the doors they thought they were in Disneyland or something. We spent about two hours looking, trying on stuff, and choosing just what they wanted. My older granddaughter is very short and on the heavy side, so it's very hard to find clothes for her. Today she was wearing women's knit Capri pants that were still so long they drug the floor and a baggy peasant-style top. She looked so uncomfortable and unhappy. Well, we found a summer sun dress in the girls department that is a size 16 and cut pretty full, so I had her try it on. She absolutely LOVED it! It fit her perfectly and was bright colored and she looked so beautiful in it. Her face just lit up when she looked in the mirror. I was just about in tears from seeing her so happy! I didn't care if that dress cost $200, she WAS going home with that dress! We also found her some nice comfy shorts and tops. And they are ones that make her look like a kid and not a dumpy old lady.

Well, in the end, each girl got a sun dress, three tops, two pairs of shorts and one cute little skort. When we went through the checkout the younger girl was watching the screen where it all started adding up. Now, remember that these girls family is very, very poor, and one dollar is more than they can fathom. So after the sale prices and my 30% coupon! the total was $117 for all of it. She said, "Grandma, do you have THAT MUCH?" I laughed and said that was a huge bargain. I showed her where it said our savings were $219. (Plus I got $20 in Kohls Cash). So we had a little conversation about shopping to find the best deals, so it was a learning opportunity too.

I asked the clerk to take the tags off two items, and took Adrienne back to the ladies room and she changed out of her old lady duds and into her new shorts and top. She almost floated out of the store.

All the way home they were talking about their beautiful new dresses and their other new clothes, and what a great day they had. I had a great day too. As soon as I got them home they had to put on their dresses to show their daddy.

Sorry to rattle on, but I'm still so pumped up I can hardly sit still. When I get another coupon we are going to do it again for back to school clothes.

Well, I hope everyone had a great day too.

Sylvia
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!This day just keeps getting better and better.NOT!
    The townhouse we wanted was just rented out tonite.I just want to cry.:cry::cry: :cry:
    hugs jane
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, That story about shopping with the girls and making them so happy is just so wonderful. What lucky girls too!

My marine son started drill instructor school last week. He said it's really hard! I guess about a fourth drop out during the three months...usually from injuries. I'm praying he has a good experience. I have trouble seeing him (in my mind) being a drill instructor, but he tells me it's all acting.

I've read all the posts and am cheering and praying while doing so.

Jane, I'm so sorry!!

Eileen near San Diego
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Sylvia- Your day with the girls sounds awesome!! What a gift you gave to them! It brought tears to my eyes to envision the joy on her face as she saw herself as a pretty girl!! I grew up believing I was very fat and ugly. As an adult I saw a picture of myself at about 16 and didn't believe it was actually me. I was at a very healthy weight and not unattractive. We also grew up without a lot of money and had few clothes, but never felt poor. My mom is the queen of finding bargains and stretching money. Wish I could learn to be more like her.What you did for her will be a big boost to her self-esteem. She is lucky to have you in her life.

Jane- So sorry the townhouse didn't work out. I am praying you will find something just right quickly. Am also praying that your test gives you a clean bill of health.

Deb A in CNY
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Jane, I'm so sorry! I was hoping you would get this one.

Vicki, yes, I think I look a lot older now than before I lost some of my weight. I hate looking at my face in the mirror, but I'm loving looking at the rest of me - but only with clothes on. Without clothes I look like a wrinkled sharpei dog. I hate my saggy skin especially on my neck and my upper arms, but I doubt I'll ever do surgery to fix it.

Katla, was it you who asked about my BP bring low? Yes, that was a big problem, but only the bottom number. The new cardiologist took me off one of my BP meds to see, and the bottom number did come up ten points or so, but the top number came up too, about 30 points. And the day I was so terribly dizzy my BP was pretty good. I really wonder if I had a little virus of something that day. Since then I have felt pretty good. Yesterday and today I felt great.

Here is the joke of the day:

:happy:

A mother carefully explained to her young daughter how children were created. She used the expression “carrying a child” instead of “pregnant,” but the girl seemed satisfied.

Sometime later, a terrible fire broke out in the neighborhood, and the girl stood by watching. Here is how she described the scene to her parents: “There was this big fire, and a fireman ran into the house, and when he came out, he was pregnant.”

:laugh:

Bye, bye!

Sylvia
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Today's weather was lovely but that storm yesterday did a real job on the construction/road work sites around town. When I went to get Gwen's meds I got one filled then was stuck in a traffic jam just sitting over a half hour, then had to go 3 places to find her potassium. Never got the ham and bean soup made; settled for quickie broccoli-cheese soup.

The rain sure helped the blueberries, though, and the blackberries. They were just bursting!!!!!!! Beautiful. Ate my share of blackberries while picking; they are soooooo sweet!!! Will be making pies tonight.

Made boeuf a la mode with mashed potatoes, carrots, and garlic green beans for dinner. It was devoured so I suppose it was good.

janemartin.............So sorry about the townhouse, anything else on the housing horizon? Best of luck with the medical test.

Joyce........Wonderful of you to drive your sister today; hope her pain stays controlled. Glad to hear you think she's getting clearer.

Sylvia..........Sounds like you had a day to remember!!! I'm very happy for both you and your girls! "Rattle on" anytime!!! It was pure joy to read!!

Vicki.........Major congrats on the new little boy!!

Eileen..........Good luck to your son; hope he makes it...........you must be so proud!

Welcome newbies; please feel free to jump in with supportive comments, opinions, ideas on what you read that strikes your fancy..........or just write a little about your own life, goals, dietary regimes, etc...........

Off to make pies!!! Love making them, wish I could eat them!

yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,881 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Hot and humid here today and now clouding up, may have storms tonight. I wish it would stop raining at least for a while. We had hail damage from a storm earlier and need to have a new roof, gutters and the outside of the house painted but it has been too wet for the contractor to do it. We were hoping to put our house on the market this summer but can't do that until the repairs are done.:sad: Went to the wellness center this morning so got my exercise in.

Sylvia - So glad you had a good time with the DGDs and that they appreciated it so much. I'm sure this is something they will always remember. :bigsmile:

Jane - Hang in there. I'm sure just the right place will come along. Good luck with the follow-up mammogram. I went in one time for a follow-up mammo and ultrasound just to find out the first doctor had not bothered to look at my history and was concerned about a nodule on the chest wall that had been there for six years unchanged!:grumble:

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to all with victories. Sue in SD
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Happy I got in 10581 steps yesterday. Logged onto FitBit and was 400 steps short of 10,000 at 5pm so walked round our acre garden. I am shooting for at least 10,000 steps a day now. hard sometimes as i have to do 2 mile walk in rain in afternoon. is winter here now.:sad:
    Decided on Jillian's BFBM for cardio before breakfast of jJannette's muscle oats; Jillian's Hard Bodies shortly and walk after lunch.
    Have put butter chicken in slow cooker and prepped the veg ready to steam for dinner.:happy:
    I log all my food at breakfast time when I have worked out my training.
    YES my granddaughter has certainly burned all her family bridges now. . We helped her 3 years running and lost money all the time. very wise to her now :brokenheart:
    I had 4 days gastro last week and hated not having energy to train.
    My total cals for food is 2500 and I normally eat around 2000. Taught all this by Tom Venuto and Jeannette Jenkins. So YES Susan 10000 calories far to low if you want energy to train.:frown:
    Lesley Tasmania, Australia
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Michele in NC You can certainly use dumb-bells instead of the kettle-bell, I did until I bought one. Bob Harper has 2 kettle-bell DVDs and Jillian Michaels has 1 kettle-bell DVD :happy:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Meredith, I believe some one else has posted the addy to their blog here. I don't know anything about it.

Sylvia I am just sitting here with the biggest smile on my face. That is so sweet of you to take them shopping. My grand daughters have been brought up with wearing used clothes and they think they are brand new. When they get their allowance they love to go to the local Goodwill and shop. When we were kids we got two new outfits a year, our birthday and start of school. My birthday was around Easter and my sister's birthday was around start of school so it worked out for us. We just did what we could and wore hand me downs. I was the third girl, I had a sister who died when she was 20, so my clothes were really used!

Joyce, Indiana
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of water aerobics. Tomorrow I'm planning to do Gin Millers Barbell Blast. This is a new DVD for me and I need to check it out.

Welcome everyone new and everyone returning.

Sylvia - fngers crossed for your friend's grandbaby.

Margaret - it's always a good sign when someone who is sick starts to complain.

Alison - so sorry you are in pain

kayzoola - look at it this way...at least you have well nourished, healthy earwigs!!!

jscoachwife - bump is an acronym for "bring up my Post". Basically, people use that to mark their place and so that the topic will be under their "my topics" list

Gave Lance his insulin tonight. He still doesn't like getting it. But he didn't hiss at me or anything. Afterwards, he even let me really pet him. I'm beginning to think that he's somewhat like PJ. When it was time for PJ to get his insulin, he would seriously seek us out. Tonight I went in the bedroom, Lance wasn't there. But a few minutes later I heard him meowing, he was on the bed, so I gave him the insulin. It's almost as if he was saying "time for insulin"

Tina - when PJ was first diagnosed as being diabetic, I honestly didn't think I would be able to give him the insulin. Now it's no problem. I just can't bring myself to make the cat bleed to get a blood sugar level. That I just can't do.

Yanniejannie - my grandmother used to say "God help those who help themselves....and God pity those who get caught"....lol

katla - thata's interesting about the margarine. I could get a pound, make something for her, then give the rest to another lady who makes pizzelles and uses it for that. How I wish there was something I could do to get rid of this extra skin! It just looks so funny when I'm doing the plank or some other exercise.

Carol in NC - sending good thoughts your way

Karen - let us know if you diet buddy joins, OK. I'm sure she'll love it

kegrip - wish I was a former skinny-minny.

Joyce - woohoo being able to get out of that car! I remember in-laws garage was like that, you had to pull the car in a certain way or you couldn't get out. Good for you having that ice cream

Welcome Skylar Jay!!!

Got an email from Bryan the other day. He asked me to send him his mail as there's a credit card in there. The one he has is expired. Am I a terrible person? He was "too busy" to go to customs and get our Christmas packages, right now I'm feeling like I'm a bit "busy" to go to the post office. Does that make me terrible? He's "too busy" to call us. I'm busy, too.

Got up, gave Lance his insulin, took our aluminum to the Humane Society, dropped off some cat food for them along with coupons, then went to Bi-Lo to get things on sale, then an hour of deep water class, then to CVS to get some candy (I was able to use coupons), then home. See, we riverrocked under the deck. We honestly thought that would help with the drainage. Well...it didn't. If anything, it made it worse. So what we need to do now is today Vince put in another strip of border to try to direct any water to this one drain while I picked out all the rocks in another area where we are considering putting a long drain and connecting that drain to a drainpipe. Afterward, you can guess where I went. Came in and made a keylime pie for Jess and Kris. I don't know what it was, but I couldn't sleep so at 4a.m. I was making stuffed manicotti.

Meredith - wonderful goals, especially keeping the daily appointment

Syulvia - I'm so glad your granddaughter found something that she really loved. Good shopping! You made me so happy just reading your post

Jane - I'm so sorry you didn't get that townhouse. Bummer

Well, Jess should be here soon.

Michele in NC