WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2014

Options

Replies

• moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hello to All,
    It is Saturday morning and I will soon be heading out to mow and trim my yard. This past week has been great but exhausting. I love spending time with my daughter and grandkids and feel truly blessed to have the week watching them, but I am whipped. I have yard and house work to catch up on, food to prep for lunches and laundry before getting back to work on Monday. I bought a beef roast and plan to make it tomorrow. I love pot roast but don't have it often.
    Today is my twin granddaughters 13 birthday, I can't believe how time ha flown by. They are such sweet, kind, smart and talented young ladies. Both are smart and get good grades, both play soccer. Abby is creative and is a wonderful baker and cake decorator, she also creative in other artsy areas. Although both get good grades Alex is like top in her class. Alex is also a very talented athlete and will be running cross country in the fall. Tonight they are having a party, with boys. I love them so much.
    I need to get out and mow now.

MNMargaret, Glad to hear DSIL had a good day and praying for her recovery.

Carol, Good luck on selling your home.

Hoping everyone has a wonderful day,
    Patty, Cincinnati OH
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,079 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Kim When there is drought I see your need to mulch. With your drought you might have fewer slugs they do like moist cool conditions.In your case I would consider using wood chips. If slugs become a major problem I would change up the mulch. This year I am trying straw on our vegetable garden. My master gardener friend told me to put layers of newspaper or brown bags down first because there still some seeds in the straw. Unfortunately she told me after I put it down.Next year. I will remember to do this. I am also saving our coffee grounds t and egg shells to put around our spinach, beets, and lettuce to deter slugs. I too try NOT to use chemicals only as a last resort when nothing else works and the problem is just too big.

Today I will go on a garden tour to appreciate others very hard work and beautiful results, so tomorrow I will be inspired to care and to enjoy my own garden.

I find I sometimes I add touches to my own garden inspired by the gardens I see. I like doing this because it adds a touch of their garden into mine.

2014 word: contentment
    :heart: MNMargaret
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hi all, long time no see! Busy summer, keeping up with work and the gardens, not much extra time!! Saw this on facebook, thought you'd get a kick out of it. :laugh:

cone.jpg

:smile: jb in Portland
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,125 Member
    Options
    Trying to keep up and got here just in time to see your cartoon JB. I think I should try that. Might improve my posture too!!! ;-}

Lin in Central Iowa
  • kegrip917
    kegrip917 Posts: 14
    Options
    Hello to all - and thank you for the welcoming messages!

Happy to see there is such a strong support system in place here. Forgive me for not addressing everyone by name... it will take some time.

I am feeling inspired this morning, as I am seeing the numbers on the scale heading southward, little by little. I am working hard to overcome my food cravings, and it's not easy. English muffins are the bane of my existence!:sad:

Cooking breakfast for my DH was nearly my undoing this morning. He can have an EM... I cannot, as my low-carb diet does not allow it. It took every ounce of willpower I could muster to refrain from putting a second one in the toaster for myself. Is there such a thing as an Emergency English Muffin Hotline?

I managed to stick to my morning regimen of fresh fruit and a couple of hard-boiled eggs & black coffee. I must remind myself that protein will keep me feeling full & satisfied, and this inspired satiety will prevent me from succumbing to my cravings for carbs - at least for the next 2 weeks or so. After that time, I will be able to slowly introduce them back into my diet, in small amounts. This knowledge, however, has not managed to silence the alarm bells going off in my head; I need reassurance that English muffins will still be in existence when the time comes that I can have them again... In the meantime, I threw the package into the back of the fridge where I can't see it when I open the door. There! That's much better.

I've only just begun going back to the gym. My DH reminds me regularly that we pay for a membership to actually be USED. So I've gone twice this week - yay! Yesterday I managed 40 min. on the recumbent bike at the Y. At the end of my "workout," the cord to my phone (music) caught in the wheel and snapped in two - Aaaargh! Luckily, it happened at the end or I probably would have quit before I started. I purchased a new cord at a drugstore on my way home, vowing to always arrive with it fully charged to avoid such mishaps. Music definitely helps when it comes to exercise.

Have a full list of things to do today - mostly errands for my MIL, who is 83 and depends on us for her laundry, grocery shopping, prescriptions, etc. It's a labor of love, I tell ya.

Have a great day, everyone!

Karen
    Connecticut
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: You’re welcome to come for a boat ride. :bigsmile: I’m sorry about your rental, but unsurprised. I think the situation is not unusual for landlords. That is why my daddy always said to avoid investments in rental property. My FIL did have rental property for years and gradually sold it. The last one he sold on a land-sales contract to the tenant, whose family paid it off shortly after he died. My next-door neighbors, who seem otherwise of sound mind, have decided to invest in rental property as a source of retirement income. I have another set of friends who have a number of residential rental properties in three states. They have excellent property management companies looking out for their interests, as does my son. He bought a condo in the town where he was stationed, and then was transferred to another part of the country. He was telling me yesterday how pleased he is with the property management company and that they are worth the fees they charge.:flowerforyou:

Kim and Margaret: Regarding garden mulch: We use bark chips because that is what the homeowners association uses everywhere else. Years ago I used hay mulch in my garden and then spent the next 5 years getting rid of it. :sad: Seedless straw would have been a better choice. The newspapers and/or brown bags would have been a great idea and I’m sorry I didn’t do it.:flowerforyou:

JB: I LOVE the veterinarian diet! Thanks!:heart::laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Karen: It sounds like you are doing very well. Keep up the good work!:flowerforyou:

DS wants to work on his boat and the first part of that will be cleaning up the storage unit to reduce dust. I can help with that part, but I’ll change into grubbier clothes before I do.

Have a great day.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Rental property in Florida is especially challenging. Was licensed and managed about 250 properties at a time for owners while living there years ago. Laws there are very tenant friendly and one slip will cost a poor suspecting owner a small fortune.

But I digress...

Good Morning to all,

Well it's the stroke of noon so "good afternoon". Just got back from out week trip to the farmer's market and we did some trail biking after. A shorter and slower trip with Aaron than when I'm on my own but still nice to be out with him for a while and burn some calories.

Have my cleaning chores to tackle. Think I'll spread them out between today and tomorrow...and maybe a little Monday:smile: so I can enjoy the day. It's supposed to storm over night and I don't think we have a good weather day tomorrow so why not clean on Sunday?

Had my most active week ever in my shop last week. I have orders going out all over the country next week and even one to Canada. Mostly custom label lip balms for weddings but a few custom label candles and lavender eye pillows. I have the opportunity to wrap about 3-4 orders this weekend for shipping on Monday and am going to give it my best shot.

Karen, sounds like you're on the South Beach Phase 1 detox???? It's tough but worth it when you get to Phase 2:drinker:

Off to get our noon feeding ready. Hope everyone has a great day!

xo- Gloria in Metro Detroit
  • kegrip917
    kegrip917 Posts: 14
    Options
    Atkins. 5 lb. Loss over 4 days :bigsmile:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: To complete my thought, I wonder whether you are stuck with this property manager, or whether they can be replaced. If you're stuck with them, surely other owners are also frustrated. Sorry I didn't finish the thought in the first place, but I was called away by a family member.:flowerforyou:

Katla
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It's going to be a scorcher here today, but cooler weather is on it's way.

About shopping with the girls...I'm just ashamed that I didn't think of it sooner. I guess I was afraid of hurting my sons feelings, like I was saying he wasn't providing for his kids, but when I told him I wanted to have a shopping day just with the girls he could not have been happier. I promise you this will happen more often now.

Joyce, most of their clothes have come from yard sales or boxes of clothes passed on from friends whose kids had outgrown them, so getting new things was a treat. When I was growing up, my sister had tons of nice clothes handed down from our cousin, but I didn't want any of them. I had some kind of a mental thing about wearing used clothes and preferred to wear the few I had that were truly mine. I still can't bring myself to buy used clothes unless they still have the tags on them. So I'm happy with a small wardrobe.

I bought her two dresses for her last birthday at Penneys in the Girls Plus section. But she didn't go with me to try them on. They were nice, but their mom decided she was going to "alter" one of them and she cut it up and ruined it. I hope she doesn't try that with this new one. It's just perfect.

Here is the joke of the day:

:happy:

After Florida coach Steve Spurrior passes away and enters the Pearly Gates, God takes him on a tour. He shows Steve a little 2-bedroom house with a faded UF banner hanging from the front porch. "This is your home, Coach. Most people don't get their own house up here," God exclaims.

Little Steve looks at the house, then turns around and looks at the one sitting on the top of the hill. It's a huge two-story mansion with white marble columns and little patios under all of the windows. LSU flags line both sides of the sidewalk with a huge purple and gold LSU banner hanging between the marble columns.

"Thanks for the home, God, but let me ask you a question. I get this little 2 bedroom house with a faded Florida banner, and Nick Saban gets a mansion with new LSU banners and flags flying all over the place. Why is that?"

God looks at him seriously for a moment and then replies, "That's not Saban’s house, that's mine!!!!!"

:laugh:

Have a great day!

Sylvia
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon!

Delivered a blueberry pie to a friend and had breakfast with the women's yoga group; haven't gone back to yoga since I hurt my back, going to ease back into yoga AFTER camping trip with DD...........can't stand the idea of sleeping on the ground with a back that's already painful.

Michele..........WOW!!! Never knew that saying of my mom's had a second part.............wonder if she did. It must have been a Pennsylvania thing; our heritage is showing!!!! Amazing we both knew such an obscure phrase (in my case, half of it anyway, lol).........I always just thought it was something she came up with; guess not.

Patty..........Happy birthday to your twin granddaughters!!

jb............Loved the cartoon; how's Mariah?

Gloria.................YAY for all those orders, glad your business is booming!

Carol..........Hope there's a bidding war and you make even more profit on your home.

Katla............Love the new picture!

Heather........Sorry to learn about your crummy renters; hope repairs go well.

Margaret..........OMG!!!! Down the disposal????? I almost choked. Guess I now know why my dad both drowned them and disposed of them in sealed glass jars. Didn't know about the color yellow being an attraction. We don't seem to get many here right now. When we first moved here I had the nice sized rose garden of my dreams put in which was a fairly expensive investment. The Japanese beetles invaded and I'd be out there five times a day picking them off
    got absolutely OCD about it!!!!...........moved out of state and rented out the house for a few years..........came back to find the renters had torn all my rose bushes out. So now the goldfinches do the job of tearing my flowers apart..........which I don't mind nearly as much.

Hope you are all having great days!
    Stay strong.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

PS...........Almost forgot..............Ladies, keep an eye out for the moon tonight, it's a super moon, will look huge as it's rising, quite a treat!
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday!

Beth
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,310 Member
    Options
    Oooooh just eaten my guinea fowl risotto with broad beans and arugula. Wow! 475 calories worth of heaven.:bigsmile:
    DH and I always ask each other, "How much would you be happy to pay for this in a gastrpub?" We thought £16.99. (A dollar is 60 pence):laugh:

Katla - I'm not too dissatisfied with my property management, but the property is past its sell by date.:cry: Any money I spend I would not get back.:cry: I bought the apartment with my mum's inheritance so it hurts to lose money on it. I can afford it, just about, but it really hurts my pride. It is an ex local authority property and not in a good area. The monthly fees are ridiculous. It was not a good buy and I am ashamed to admit it. But I am not going to think about it until Monday. :tongue: :ohwell: :huh: :laugh:

I realise in the great scheme of things it is a tiny problem - compared to Jane for example.:flowerforyou: Or anyone who has loved ones suffering. :frown: It is just my perfectionism and control freakery and my laziness and ability to procrastinate. I am coming round to the idea that I need to suck it up and sell it, once I have got a, very expensive, new lease.:sad:

The good news is that my three schoolfriends and I have at last managed to settle on a date for a get together.:bigsmile: November 23rd - 25th. Phew! One friend lives in four locations, one in three and one in two and I am always popping off somewhere so it took quite a few emails! ! ! ! :laugh: Thank goodness for email! So we will be The Brighton Belles! ! ! ! :laugh: (that refers to an old tourist train)
    How wonderful to be still in touch with my best friends from 53 years ago!:love:

I had a nap this pm on the sofa so I am a bit revived. I made the Summer Pudding today and it is settling overnight in the fridge before I freeze it. Blackcurrants, raspberries and redcurrants. Lucky DSIL,:love:

Heather in sunny Hampshire UK, waiting for overnight rain.:drinker:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!Was so stressed last night ate a bagel at 11pm.:cry::cry:
    I should be packing,but am in such a funk.
    Getting info on a new mobile home to rent and have an appt to look at a tiny house-the house that fell thru the 1st time is owned by the same people.Not too sure,if I want to get my hopes up.It`s very small.
    I know there`s something out there,just need to find it.
    Have a great day!
    Love you all:heart::heart: :heart: :heart:
    HUGS
    jane
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Yanniejannie, I was just thinking I it was about time to give you all an update about Mariah. My sister sent out a group letter to friends and family this morning, perfect timing!! Here's what she wrote:

"Hello everyone ... It has been a couple of weeks since I last wrote to you about Mariah so wanted to get an update out to you now. She had her three days of inpatient chemo a week ago and did fairly well with it, although she was sick several times as a result.

This past week she and her entire family drove down to Jacksonville, FL, to have her consultation for her proton radiation which will start on July 24th and will continue for six weeks (Monday - Friday). While in Jacksonville, she received an outpatient chemo treatment which has now made her mouth very, very sore. Mouth sores are common side effects of chemo and can be very painful. Such is the case with Mariah right now ... she has a very painful sore throat which makes it difficult for her to eat. Once again, we are thankful for her g-tube (stomach feeding tube) where she can receive the nourishment that she needs to maintain her strength.

She has lost most of her hair now but is still an absolutely adorable sweet girl. Her little face is worth a million words, especially when she feels well enough to smile. :love:

She and Jennifer will leave on July 23rd for Jacksonville and will be staying at the Ronald McDonald House there at the hospital during this period of time. From what I understand, the patients and their families are treated very well at this facility. For that we are also thankful.

We want to thank you all for your continued prayers for Mariah and her family. It means so much to us to know that we are covered in prayer during this very difficult trial. We send our love to each and every one of you ... and thank you for your love and support. Blessings! ~Nancy"

And here's Mariah, just a couple of weeks ago. She sure knows how to smile for the camera!! I'll have to post a photo of her with her new hat on, too. :bigsmile:

mariah3.jpg
  • janemartin02
    Options
    J>B_continued prayers for Mariah.She`s a cutie.
    hugs
    jane
  • janemartin02
    Options
    HI!again,found out we may get another townhouse.it`s next door to the 1 we wanted.We just have to get appliances.
    Fingers crossed.
    thanks hugs jane
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Go Jane!
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hello all the wonderful MFP 'ERS!

I have missed a week while on vacation, so I will catch up on the recents,,,,,,the promised WIFI was not working, and all my gadgets were useless!

However, the world's second best sunsets (after Hawaii) were working!!! The lovely coast of Lake Huron offered a wonderful array of weather, winds, and surf......

Hope everyone had a good week; I understand there was some real flooding in Ontario and certainly in Manitoba.....hope it did not cause anyone real problems.......the promised tornados did not appear.....(too bad "Fordnado" reappeared in Toronto though!)

BJ, SWOntario
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    Hi all: Got up early this morning and went out to the stables. Even then it was so hot and humid that I had some trouble breathing while walking out to the pasture and back. Did not ride as Jule has a crack in her front hoof and the farrier does not come until Monday. May go out to the horse show at the stables tomorrow. Haven't been to a show for a while. DGD comes this week and I will be busy with her. This year I don't have to take time off from work since I am retired now. She lives in the Seattle area and the last time we saw her was at Christmas so looking forward to this.

Jane - Looks like you have some possibilities. Hope you get what you need.

jb - Continued good wishes for Mariah.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD