7-Day Cleansing Diet & Miracle Soup Recipe

Options

Replies

• JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Get the same results following a keto diet and eating more. No need to starve yourself.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I did this one back in college - it worked well!

I'm curious what your metric is for "worked well".

:flowerforyou:
  • kkay3182
    kkay3182 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    bumping just for the soup recipe...I couldnt eat just one category of food a day no matter how temporal it is...Maybe thats why I am overweight lol. But I love cabbage and I love souppppppp!! So perfect.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you have to keep repeating this "diet" every so often, it must not work very well. I can't imagine doing this to my body.

Quoted for emphasis
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Vegetables have calories, they don't disappear if made into soup. They just get wetter. And flavoured with onion soup mix. Which also has calories. Not many, but it does.

If you eat 3,500 calories of this soup over your TDEE, you will gain a pound. That would be a lot of soup, but it is possible, so telling people to eat as much as they want is misleading.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

clearly
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    If you have to keep repeating this "diet" every so often, it must not work very well. I can't imagine doing this to my body.

Quoted for emphasis
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I found the following 7-Day Cleansing Diet in my recipe box, and I've had it forever (about 35 years). It sounds a bit weird, but I followed this diet before, and it worked pretty well. Check with your doctor first, and then you can try it if you want. I might try it again, and see how it goes. I loved the T-J Miracle Soup! Yummy... You can just have the soup if you want, and don't worry about the rest of the diet. Take care, Laura :)

SEVEN-DAY CLEANSING DIET--From the Sacred Heart Hospital in Spokane, Washington for overweight heart patients:

I don't see any harm in eating the soup once in a while, but have one other comment. Yes, there is a real Sacred Heart Hospital in Spokane Washington -- I just Googled it. However, there is no way a hospital would tell overweight heart patients to eat this as a diet for a week. My late husband went through open heart surgery at a major cardiac center in Pennsylvania. As part of his recovery, he took a diet and nutrition class that recommended normal food but told him to eliminate salt because it would cause the skin grafts to not last as long. They did recommend a balanced diet with food from all the basic food groups, but fewer calories for weight management. I took the class with him for my knowledge. A hospital would absolutely not recommend this diet -- it's too goofy.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Over the past 15 yrs, I have done this "diet" as a way to "kick off" a better way of eating!! Works like a charm EVERY time...as a matter of fact, it was the Vegetable soup in my diary a few weeks back...did it for 5 days...then take a break for at least 2 wks. My DR gave me permission to do this, but only a few times a year, so I get off a plateau or lose about 5-8lbs and re-start my metabolism! I use all fresh tomatoes, and a lot of fresh herbs. I also use green onions & one big carrot. The 1st day I eat it cold, then after that, I figured out if I pureed it, it basically tastes like an amazing homemade V8...which I love...the only "problem" is that each 8oz only has about 45 calories!! On my protein day, I ate it hot with beans or meat in the soup...I can only do this about 3-4x a year..then I hate the smell.(And seriously wanted to throw it out the window, as previously stated!!) But...I don't like "fad" diets, EXCEPT for a very few times a year, when they help us off the weight and MENTAL Plateau that we all hate! After not seeing the scale move for 3 mos, that's when I did it... Oh, and btw--I have the 3 day Diet on my fridge if you want me to post it!

I don't know whether to laugh or cry every time I see someone endorse something that works EVERY time... which actually proves that it doesn't work because they keep gaining the weight back and keep repeating the cycle. And doctors are such experts in nutrition... NOT.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results.

Seriously, find a sustainable plan that you can live with for the rest of your life, then CHOOSE to DO it. If you are eating the right way for health you will not struggle with hunger or keep gaining the weight back. But the FOOD matters. Yes, it does.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Get the same results following a keto diet and eating more. No need to starve yourself.

I think I love you.....

However, for people that think "keto" is too hard or plan to "do keto" temporarily to lose weight only, then it is a fail just like any other temporary diet. However, Keto is my permanent lifestyle and it's a WIN for me.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

No, apparently it did not. Temporary, rapid weight loss does not prove that it "worked well". Quite the opposite.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I heard this needed a bump

Why do you hate me? I've never been anything but nice to you. :cry:

I know, and she looks like such a nice person in her avi, she's even smiling!!!

Or, I dunno', you could not follow a diet designed for epileptic children and instead simply eat at a moderate calorie deficit. I'm just throwing that out there :flowerforyou:
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    This is nothing but calorie deficit in disguise....even eating eight bananas a day will barely come to 1200 calories.
    I supposed that a couple of decades ago it was called a " diet ", because just saying " eat at a deficit " was probably not fancy enough. And as we all know, any kind of reasonable caloric deficit will help with weight loss, no matter if it's cabbage soup, eight bananas a day or Twinkies.......or maybe even a reasonable, varied diet of our choice and preference....:o).
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options

I think I love you.....

However, for people that think "keto" is too hard or plan to "do keto" temporarily to lose weight only, then it is a fail just like any other temporary diet. However, Keto is my permanent lifestyle and it's a WIN for me.

Does amaze me how people struggle to do it. I think it's great to use now and again I also like to use it to throw my body off from getting to used to one type of fuel. If anything a good Keto diet imo can make you learn a lot about food and calories I never knew Broccoli could be eaten in heaps and as next to no cals in it or carbs and I also feel it's a good basic way to to reintroduce yourself to food if you have struggled in the past.
    Keto also kicks cravings due to eating more fat so in turn you are less hungry.

The more decent options you have at your disposal the better, I like to mix it up from Keto to carbs, Though after Keto it's good to add in carbs slowly or you might get an upset stomach for a few days lol.

These fad diets are just that, They don't show you how to keep the weight off after you have lost it and anyone can lose 10lbs in 14 days once they cut calories as they will drop a shed load of water to begin with.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options

clearly
    Yes, that must be why you're here. You must've put back on the weight you lost after stopping this diet, no?
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    There is a similar soup diet in Aus, popularised by a TV doctor. Recipe and details are here:-

http://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise/factsheets/article/-/6644155/dr-johns-kick-start-diet-plan/

There's no cabbage so you don't get the gas and the overall diet has been modified since I tried it to include a handful of nuts if you want for a snack and an egg in the banana smoothie from day 4 so it actually has some protein these days.

Yes I've tried it. Yes the soup was yummy. Yes some weight came off. Yes I was hungry. Could I stick to the soup bit for two weeks - NO. Did the weight come back - YES - because soup alone as a diet is unsustainable for any length of time.

The bit after the two weeks of soup doesn't look that bad. But the soup seems to have disappeared entirely and the amount of vegetables consumed also dropped dramatically which seems odd unless you are to continue having the soup as a snack when hungry which would make more sense. But after having it every day for two weeks you really wouldn't want to eat more of the stuff anyway.

I found a good article about the original incarnation of the soup diet here -

http://foodwatch.com.au/blog/healthy-weight-loss/item/the-soup-diet-can-you-lose-weight-on-it.html

The author is a nutritionist and explains far better than I could why you shouldn't just eat soup alone but does say that including some vege soup is a good thing. In fact there is a link to another article at the bottom of the page (I can't link to it as it is a PDF) that explains that having soup as a first course before your main helps fill you up and stops you from overeating and helps keep you fuller for longer - that made sense to me.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Ah, the lovely cabbage soup zombie thread... My Love's step-father did this, lost weight, and gained it all back plus some last year.

Now he's doing Medifast.... Anyone want to place bet on how long it will be before he gains it back from starving himself again?
  • mstfitz
    Options
    I'm curious how the soup has no calories. Dry onion soup mix has 80 calories per packet. I'm also curious if the sodium is a problem. It has over 2400 mg. Thanks for posting this.
  • richardhale82
    richardhale82 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Jenn, you're right. It's risky. I'm glad it worked for you though. Diet and eating is 80% of your results.