You know you're from

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Put where you are from and things that are pretty commom or known about where you live or the general area

I'm a midwest girl, pretty much have been my entire life . Currently in Missouri but grew up in Iowa.

1.There's a tornado warning and the whole town is outside watching for it. 
    2.Everyone in your family has been on a "Float trip."
    3.Your idea of a traffic jam is ten cars waiting to pass a tractor on the highway.
    4.You know what's knee-high by the Fourth of July. (It's corn btw, lol)
    5.You know if another Missourian is from eastern, middle or western Missouri as soon as they open their mouth.

1. I can relate to. Unfortunately. Living in tornado alley can be rough.

Honestly I have no clue about the rest. Never been on a float trip, my family considered that very low class and I think just 1 of my friends has been on one. I haven't lived in a rural area with cars waiting to pass a tractor and have never heard of that knee-high by the Fourth of July thing. I also can't identify accents within Missouri at all, except maybe "old Italian lady from St Louis proper", and everyone says I sound like I'm from Michigan or New York - I have lived in the southwest corner of Missouri since I was born. LOL

I'd say you know you're from Missouri when you have eaten a Frito Pie (I guess that's a Texas thing though?), can name all of the rides at Silver Dollar City, and know what city "the Plaza" is in for viewing Christmas lights or taking a carriage ride.

that's too bad about the float trips, some of the most fun I've ever had ^_^ never had a frito pie, lol

Just to clarify, my family was being snooty but I don't think float trips are "low class" personally.
    I would love to go on one, honestly... but I don't know anyone who goes and when I am hiking near the river I see people who look like they are straight out of Deliverance or severely intoxicated & screaming. They're on float trips. I don't doubt for a moment that perfectly decent, fun people go...I wish some of my friends would start!
  • upnorthtim
    upnorthtim Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Your from Wisconsin when:
    1-Your not surprised when it snows in May, the day after it is 80 degrees
    2-You know where every bar and catholic church is in your home town
    3-You know what a bubbler is
    4- You can pronounce Eau Clare, Rhinelander, and Wauwatosa.
    5- You bleed Green and Gold and hate the Bears

6. You can also pronounce "Chequamegon"
    7. You are not surprised by the liquor and cheese drive thru.......
  • lna_1981
    lna_1981 Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Put where you are from and things that are pretty commom or known about where you live or the general area

I'm a midwest girl, pretty much have been my entire life . Currently in Missouri but grew up in Iowa.

1.There's a tornado warning and the whole town is outside watching for it. 
    2.Everyone in your family has been on a "Float trip."
    3.Your idea of a traffic jam is ten cars waiting to pass a tractor on the highway.
    4.You know what's knee-high by the Fourth of July. (It's corn btw, lol)
    5.You know if another Missourian is from eastern, middle or western Missouri as soon as they open their mouth.

1. I can relate to. Unfortunately. Living in tornado alley can be rough.

Honestly I have no clue about the rest. Never been on a float trip, my family considered that very low class and I think just 1 of my friends has been on one. I haven't lived in a rural area with cars waiting to pass a tractor and have never heard of that knee-high by the Fourth of July thing. I also can't identify accents within Missouri at all, except maybe "old Italian lady from St Louis proper", and everyone says I sound like I'm from Michigan or New York - I have lived in the southwest corner of Missouri since I was born. LOL

I'd say you know you're from Missouri when you have eaten a Frito Pie (I guess that's a Texas thing though?), can name all of the rides at Silver Dollar City, and know what city "the Plaza" is in for viewing Christmas lights or taking a carriage ride.

that's too bad about the float trips, some of the most fun I've ever had ^_^ never had a frito pie, lol

Just to clarify, my family was being snooty but I don't think float trips are "low class" personally.
    I would love to go on one, honestly... but I don't know anyone who goes and when I am hiking near the river I see people who look like they are straight out of Deliverance or severely intoxicated & screaming. They're on float trips. I don't doubt for a moment that perfectly decent, fun people go...I wish some of my friends would start!

lol believe me I get it completely ^_^ they are fun but I've never gotten trashed doing them, I think the fear of drowning keeps me grounded ;)
  • LoveDanceSing
    LoveDanceSing Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Santa Cruz Ca:

When summer doesn't actually come till august/September
    You don't even try to go to the beach on the weekends between May-July because all the stupid tourists crowd EVERYTHING!
    We don't know what real rain looks like, and people don't know how to drive in mist
    We say gnarly
    Surfing isn't an activity it's a way of life
    The 90's never left we still dress, act, speak like it's the 90's just with a mix of current culture
    The best music is from the 70s-90s
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    New York City

1. In any conversation with someone about New York, you delineate between "The City" and the rest of New York State
    2. "The City" (when you live in the city) means Manhattan, even though the five boroughs are "the city"
    3. You know that anyone approaching you smiling, nodding, or extending their hand to shake yours is likely trying to sell you something, get you to sign a petition, or want you to buy a candy bar "Not for no basketball team or club, but to have a few dollars in my pocket."
    4. You have to explain to non-New Yorkers that everyone in New York does not sound like the cast of Saturday Night Fever
    5. You protect your unlimited metrocard as if it holds the secrets to the universe
    6. After spending your life being accosted and hustled, you're ruined for genuine kindness from anywhere else in the world.
    7. You wonder why everyone things New Yorkers are mean. Aloof maybe, desensitized, likely... but not mean :)
    The first time I ever went to NYC (back in the early 2000s) I was kinda scared because I had heard how mean everyone was. My experience that first time was magical! Everyone, even though brusque (hey, they're BIZZY!) was very kind to me and my ignorance. I got endless help for riding the subway, getting around on the bus, and just hanging out in the little neighborhood my hotel was in. I remember the (I think) Russian desk clerk admonishing me and my two daughters when we were asking for a "store" to pick up some snacks late one night. He was all, "Store? Why you want shop theese time night? OOOOH! You want DELI! You go deli." He was the sweetest.

I kinda love New York and could live there in a heartbeat. There or San Francisco. **sigh**
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options

6. You can also pronounce "Chequamegon"
    OMgosh, I've camped for millions of years around there! My kids still do. I'm getting all nostalgic.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    London

1. You can't breathe the air some days because it is smog, not air.
    2. Your home borough is conveniently ignored because only the nice bits of London get shown to the world
    3. Everything costs about £1,000,000 more than everywhere else
    4. You can't understand anyone north or south of the M25
    5. You spend an inordinate amount of time not moving when in the car - usually on the M25

6. You need a passport to cross the Thames
    7. You can no longer go to your favourite pub because a celeb has decided to make it their local and tourists have flocked there for a peek.
    8. The North starts at Watford
    9. Slow walking people are the bane of your life
    10. But on a positive, you can always get a pint of milk, bread, pizza, beer within 200 yards of your front door in the middle of the night.
  • _AlabamaSlamma_
    Options
    Tennessee:

1) You can be found at Neyland stadium every fall for every home game (and around the nearest TV for away games if not there)

2) Southern hospitality isn't a thing of the past- it's a way of life

3) You spend April-September in a bathing suit as much as possible

4) You know what a Deb is....or you are one

5) "Bless her/his/their/your heart" works for pretty much all occasions

6) Tea is iced and sweet

7) Southern gentlemen---chivalry isn't all dead

8) Seersucker...will never go out of style

9) You know the words to Rocky Top and the story behind the lyrics

10) Small town living means everyone knows your business...and most of the time before you even do....

^^^ Northeast TN

-You know not to go to Walmart, Kmart, Dollar General, Dollar Tree, or the tobacco outlet on the first of the month.
    -When you close your eyes at the end of the day, all you can see is BLUE (negative color of orange) imprinted on your eyelids.
    -You've had mulitple posts to POWM.
    -You see the yankee that passed you in the snow stuck less than a half mile away.
    -You go fishing with empty milk jugs or dynamite.
    -You have a dart board with Lane Kiffin's picture in the middle.
    -Going into town is at least a day's journey.
    -Someone said "I reckon." and you knew what it meant.

(actually I'm more southeast tennessee-->about 1.5 hours from knoxville)

We both left out.....We are still laughing that Lane Kiffin is at Alabama

"Over yonder/yunder" is actually a direction

Cow tipping is something that people actually do..

The same cop that pulls your mom over will pull you over too...then laugh. Neither get tickets but it's in "Around Town" a few days later....magically

Born and raised in Tennessee, and not a single thing listed applies, nor do I understand (sans the reckon one).

Wow! You poor poor guy. Did your parents keep you locked up in the barn your whole life, or are you just so dull and simple minded that you can't be humored by only SLIGHTLY exaggerated satire?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Tennessee:

1) You can be found at Neyland stadium every fall for every home game (and around the nearest TV for away games if not there)

6) Tea is iced and sweet

10) Small town living means everyone knows your business...and most of the time before you even do....

^^^ Northeast TN

-You know not to go to Walmart, Kmart, Dollar General, Dollar Tree, or the tobacco outlet on the first of the month.
    -When you close your eyes at the end of the day, all you can see is BLUE (negative color of orange) imprinted on your eyelids.
    -You see the yankee that passed you in the snow stuck less than a half mile away.

The same cop that pulls your mom over will pull you over too...then laugh. Neither get tickets but it's in "Around Town" a few days later....magically

Born and raised in Tennessee, and not a single thing listed applies, nor do I understand (sans the reckon one).

Wow! You poor poor guy. Did your parents keep you locked up in the barn your whole life, or are you just so dull and simple minded that you can't be humored by only SLIGHTLY exaggerated satire?

Bless his heart!
  • runnergirl0721
    runnergirl0721 Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Tennessee:

6) Tea is iced and sweet

^^^ Northeast TN

Bless his heart!

^^Took the words right out of my mouth!! ☺️
  • joflo723
    joflo723 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Raised in Tennessee, family is all still there. Actual conversation overhead at a family reunion:

Uncle1: D'jeet yit?
    Uncle2: Naw ju?
    Uncle1: Naw, yawnt to?
    Uncle2: I reckon

You know you're from Tennessee if you can translate this conversation.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Raised in Tennessee, family is all still there. Actual conversation overhead at a family reunion:

I can translate it, but I'm not from Tennessee.....further South. :bigsmile:
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options

LMAO!! So true! :bigsmile:
  • SheBeButLittleSheisFierce
    Options
    Atlanta

-Rush hour traffic is more of a game of Russian roulette than a time of day.
    -If you need a ladder or a mattress, you can find it on the highway.
    -You know to turn left where the Kroger used to be. Even though they tore it down before you were born.
    -You aren't from around here.
    -You know somebody who was. Her grandfather used to be the pastor of her home church.
    -When somebody provides the direction "and then you go down the hill," you know you are going to get lost.

Moved to ATL area 10 years ago! So true!!!!
    Also, a midnight snack is a trip to the closest waffle house
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Washington, D.C.

1. When traffic stops for the presidential motorcade
    2. got forbid it snows for 2 days because the Federal government will shut down
    3. A druggie mayor can get reelected for life
    4. When people ask me where I'm from and I say D.C., and they don't believe me. I really live in the heart of DC, not the surrounding suburbs of VA or MD.
    5. you pay federal taxes but have no voting rights. UGH!!
    6. everyone dresses in conservative clothing (think suits and dresses, not that there's anything wrong with that :)
    7. tourists do not stand to the right of the escalators to let locals walk up on the left (we've got places to go, you know)
    8. You've had your home or car broken into at least once.
    9. You remember WHFestival - those were the days
    10. You've been insulted by a crazy homeless person with no teeth on more than one occasion.
    11. You remember when $1.10 used to get you anywhere you wanted to go in the city on Metro.
    12. You remember when Metro parking lots used to accept cash.
    13. You've eaten Jumbo Slice or Julia's Empanada's.
    14. You remember when you could drive past the White House pre 9/11
    15. You used to be really scared to go to Southeast to dance at the defunt Traxx or Nation/Capitol Ballroom (now there's the baseball stadium)
    16. You can sing the Eastern Motor's or Shoe City song verbatim. (this commercial still comes on by the way)
    17. 14th and I street downtown had nudie bars
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Maine - Mainah / Maniac

- The letter "R" is wicked overrated. It's lobstah, not lobster.

- We say wicked. A lot.

- 4 inches of snow is a dusting.

- You crave an Italian sandwich weekly.

- You know what an Italian sandwich is.

- You crave a whoopie pie with your Italian sandwich.

- LL Bean isn't just a store, it's a way of life.

- Maine has 4 seasons. Tourist, Foliage, Ski and Mud.

- You know what a red hot dog is and you eat one.

- Just about everyone you know has hit a deer or moose on the highway!

Ayuh!

The Dirty Lew, the Old Port, good times!

and anything above Augusta is Up Noth, even though its only 1/4 of the way up the state because the whole top half is nothing but trees and moose, and where people go "Upta Camp" on weekends....

southern maine is the bottom 10%, central maine is the rest of the bottom quarter, up north is 25-50% up, and the top half is camp!

Wives/girlfriends are referred to as "My old lady".

When men bump into each other in public it's always the same thing "Still upta the same place? How's the old lady?"
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I will do Pittsburgh due to that being the closest city to me anyone will recognize:

1) If you get cut off on the parkway it is mandatory you "roll dan the window at dem dere jagaffs".
    2) Parking spots are saved by lawn chairs and couches are found on front porches.
    3) Sporting evens are beyond insanity: tailgates last for 12+ hours, half the people you came with will not make it into the event and/or be kicked out of the event, you will drown in a sea of black and gold, sub freezing temps do not mandate you must be clothed.
    4) It is perfectly acceptable to wear a pair of "still toe" boots with full athletic gear.
    5) Getting drunk is a three day event. Especially if you go drinking "Dahntahn" or to the "Sauside".
    6) You have been hit on by a "Stiller" or have seen Big Ben out and have then made a rape joke.
    7) Pot holes in the spring= see yah ball bearings.
    8) The entire city runs out of road salt AT LEAST once every two days...which is odd being there is a chance of snow 75% of the year.
    9) "Redd up the hause." means you better run the "sweeper" and throw a load in the "warsh".

Pittsburgh dad on youtube = DEAD ON.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I will do Pittsburgh due to that being the closest city to me anyone will recognize:

1) If you get cut off on the parkway it is mandatory you "roll dan the window at dem dere jagaffs".
    2) Parking spots are saved by lawn chairs and couches are found on front porches.
    3) Sporting evens are beyond insanity: tailgates last for 12+ hours, half the people you came with will not make it into the event and/or be kicked out of the event, you will drown in a sea of black and gold, sub freezing temps do not mandate you must be clothed.
    4) It is perfectly acceptable to wear a pair of "still toe" boots with full athletic gear.
    5) Getting drunk is a three day event. Especially if you go drinking "Dahntahn" or to the "Sauside".
    6) You have been hit on by a "Stiller" or have seen Big Ben out and have then made a rape joke.
    7) Pot holes in the spring= see yah ball bearings.
    8) The entire city runs out of road salt AT LEAST once every two days...which is odd being there is a chance of snow 75% of the year.
    9) "Redd up the hause." means you better run the "sweeper" and throw a load in the "warsh".

Pittsburgh dad on youtube = DEAD ON.

I was already thinking about Pittsburgh Dad while reading this LOL!!!! Awesome.

Did you see the new hot sauce label on Pittsburgh Dad, it says, "Yinz can put it on dippy eggs!"
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Minneapolis
    - "Spices" consist of pepper and salt.
    - you have used the term "Uff da"
    - you visit Saint Paul once a year
    - you can tell what part of the city you are in from your perspective of the IDS
    - You learned to spell Mississippi before your last name
    - Skyways
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    You Know Your From Buffalo When.....

I'm from Buffalo. We eat chicken wings, not Buffalo wings. Jack Kemp is a quarterback, not a politician. We drink Labatt Blue and love it. Mighty Taco always has preference over Taco Bell. Pop, not soda and Pepsi, not Coke.

They are sneakers not tennis shoes. It's a sucker, not a lollipop. Bison chip dip, La Nova Pizzeria, Aunt Rosie's Loganberry, Chevettas Chicken, Peter K's Potato Pancakes and Ted's Hot Dogs are all too familiar...not to forget Taffy's Shakes and Charlie the butcher.

A fake ID is unnecessary, there is always Canada...But we have them anyway. Our bars don't close until 4am and we DO sell beer in a grocery store (Tops or Wegmans), which always makes for early starts and late nights. Jim's steak out at 4 in the morning is calling it an early night...

We never cuss, but we swear entirely too much. We know that a 65 mph speed limit really means 80. We will cut you off, swear, and give you the finger if you are keeping up AND do it all in the snow, while expecting nothing less in return. Driving in the snow not only comes naturally, it is fun.

We know what Artvoice and Nightlife are and we either love them or try to burn every copy we see. We start the weekends off right at Thursdays in the square while enjoying beer, free music, and an interesting crowd.

We lived through Wide Right, The Forward Lateral, and No Goal. Dubbed by Dan Marino as "the meanest fans because no-one actually wants to live here..."

We all know he wouldn't stand one winter up here. We love the Bills (no matter what) and accept that it takes 2-4 hours to get home from a game. Nothing closes in 3 feet of snow or -20 windchills...In fact, that's how we prefer to tailgate.

We can correctly pronounce, spell, and identify Chippewa, Scajaquada, Lackawanna, Cheektowaga, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Olean, Tonawanda and Gowanda without hesitation. When giving direction it's not "take I-90 to Route 33 east" it's " take the 90 to the 33 east"..."the" is not an option.

We are 30 minutes from another country, one of the seven wonders of the world, and even a few beaches. It's the second largest city in New York.

Deb

YES!!! Chicken wings from anywhere not in Buffalo are just plain wrong. I have some Bison chip dip today with me to dip my vegetables in! And Chiavetta's chicken will be dinner tonight :-) I always thought that saying "the" in front of the highway numbers was typical, until I realized on vacation that NOONE says that. <3 Buffalove