Do you believe in strictly Calories In - Calories Out?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Get scientific fact and show me " how a diet fool of doughnuts are good for you!"

lol - where exactly did anyone say it was good for you. Don't try and move the goal posts .
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Surely, even the CICO purists have seen studies where different macro combinations resulted in different weight and fat loss amounts, right?

Actually, long term studies have shown a surprising similarity of FFM decrease.
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    When you all show me your scientific data that cico is fact I will show you more scientific data.

ENOUGH SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [/qu

They have...your turn.

IT'S CALLED MYFITNESSPAL, NOT A CALORIE COUNTING SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry you don't like to be wrong, but you are LOLLLLLL!!!!!

http://thecaloriemythbook.com/medicalreviews/

Just curious, do you use this site to count your calories?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Get scientific fact and show me " how a diet fool of doughnuts are good for you!"
    Literally nobody has implied that.

@Lindsey - yes. Recent evidence suggest protein is nearly never stored as fat, and there's TEF to consider too.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

It isn't good for you, no one claims that. Complete strawman.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    When you all show me your scientific data that cico is fact I will show you more scientific data.

They have...your turn.

As I said earlier, just because you post something multiple times, it does not make it correct.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

Still an article, not a study. Give. It. Up.

You are wrong !!!!!!!!

dcd52fc19e5f986f8097f8e9e38c4dca4f4ff2c5036c43e5d89ac9cc6a5952be.jpg
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

[/qu

They have...your turn.

IT'S CALLED MYFITNESSPAL, NOT A CALORIE COUNTING SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just curious, do you use this site to count your calories?

I realize it's called My Fitness Pal. But you have weight you want to lose. I'm just wondering, if you're not counting calories, how is it you are losing weight? Are you actually saying that you are losing weight WITHOUT eating at a deficit?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    nicolas-cage-laughing.gif
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Surely, even the CICO purists have seen studies where different macro combinations resulted in different weight and fat loss amounts, right?

If you have any, I'd love to see them.

Here's one I came across that shows a different story...shows considerably different results for diets with different levels of carbs vs. fats (protein is the same) for those with differing levels of insulin resistance and insulin sensitivity. It seems to indicate to me that not all calories are the same, though CICO is still a useful guideline. Just not an absolute law.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2005.79/full
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Relevant figure from the 1964 metabolic study conducted by Kinsell et al.

Capture2.jpg

Alterations in macronutrient ratios made no difference on rate of weight loss over a 3 month period when subject was in a completely controlled environment. This study was done in a hospital under completely controlled conditions, subject only ate what was given to them by the study coordinators...it was not a "survey".

You asked for a study that supports CICO and I provided one. Are you going to respond to it at all or just ignore it?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

IF I eat one doughnut a day for a week at well say 400-500 calories I will lose 4 pounds in one week with no exercise and I love my exercise

Now would that happen. I would say no because micro needs to be met so your body performers what it needs to do at optimal levels.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Here's one I came across that shows a different story...shows considerably different results for diets with different levels of carbs vs. fats (protein is the same) for those with differing levels of insulin resistance and insulin sensitivity. It seems to indicate to me that not all calories are the same, though CICO is still a useful guideline. Just not an absolute law.

The study I have been linking to in this thread shows that. The figure I posted an image of from that study shows that. I can provide you the study if you wish.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Now the trolling is apparent..........

"Now"?!?

You point is completely valid...

...it's just a few pages late.

On a totally unrelated note, is trolling still trolling if the person doing the trolling doesn't realize they're trolling? In other words, does trolling require awareness and/or intent?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Literally nobody has implied that.

@Lindsey - yes. Recent evidence suggest protein is nearly never stored as fat, and there's TEF to consider too.
    TEF differences are basically negligible If I remember correctly from another thread a while back, it would be sub 100 calories difference between a 100% protein and a 100% simple carbs diet.
  • BluenoserGal
    BluenoserGal Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs Calories out doesn't take into consideration hormone fluctuations (peri-menopause), water bloating, TOM etc.

I did two months of strict control, measured and weighed everything -- fitbit tracked activity, etc. I ran a -8000 cal deficit every week. According to that math I should have lost 2lbs/week on average. And after two months? Rather than losing anything, I gained a pound.

Nothing is just that simple. We are complex creatures. What works for some doesn't work for others.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

"Now"?!?

On a totally unrelated note, is trolling still trolling if the person doing the trolling doesn't realize they're trolling? In other words, does trolling require awareness and/or intent?
    It does, otherwise it just rhymes with soupidity and starts with st.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

"Now"?!?

Yeah, trolling requires intent imo. Otherwise you are just dense as another poster mentioned.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I was referring to studies on people with similar metabolic issues (sorry - should have been clearer). I agree - insulin sensitivity impacts fat loss - but that is the the CO portion of the CICO.

Not all calories are equal - but it is still CICO.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Calories in vs Calories out doesn't take into consideration hormone fluctuations (peri-menopause), water bloating, TOM etc.

I did two months of strict control, measured and weighed everything -- fitbit tracked activity, etc. I ran a -8000 cal deficit every week. According to that math I should have lost 2lbs/week on average. And after two months? Rather than losing anything, I gained a pound.

Nothing is just that simple. We are complex creatures. What works for some doesn't work for others.

Water bloating?

When people talk about weight loss they mean fat loss. Water retention fluctuations will of course make your weight fluctuate no matter what method you take towards weight loss.