Do you believe in strictly Calories In - Calories Out?

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Please do not use WIKI as a source.

Give me a scholar source of whatever is it you are trying to debate.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    This thread reminds me of days when my 5 year old thinks it is funny to just repeat whatever I'm saying, and the only person who gets exasperated is me...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,056 Member
    Options
    Gina, I read the article but I didn't understand any of it. Could you please post the link again?

My pleasure This:

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2012/06/when-a-calorie-is-not-just-a-calorie/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_calorie_is_a_calorie

She didn't get the sarcasm.

I got it and replied, LOLOLOLLLLLLL

Gina, I stuck up for you upthread because I thought it was poor form for someone to make a personal comment about you that was not related to the thread topic.

But now you are just being silly and posting random comments that don't address the topic at all :indifferent:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Hey!!!!

Remember me???

I started this thread! Can I just ask another question before we go back to 10 more pages of arguing haha.

So do I just keep going for another month and hope th scale starts to move?

I don't think I can cut my calories back much more.

What was the question again?

j/k

Keep going for a few more weeks - you are most likely retaining water/glycogen from starting to exercise - it can take a fair few weeks to settle down (I have seen up to 2 months for some) and it can mask 'real' weight loss while it is doing do.

This would be my thought, also.

If I showed you my calorie and weight curve for the the last nine weeks you would see constant calories and minor weight loss for the first four weeks, then suddenly I increased weight - up to 2.5 kg at week 8 and now dropping. Know what I started 5 wks ago? A very different weight training program. All at the same calories ... Normally cut level calories. So I had about 3 or more kg of exercise response. So after a month, I'm seeing the drop again.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. 2000 from breads and starches versus 2000 calories from fat/protein will affect your body QUITE differently. One will cause your blood sugar to skyrocket while the other gives you proper energy and nutrients your body naturally needs.

"Everything in moderation" is great if you're trying to maintain weight. However, if you're trying to lose it it's better if the calories come from fats and protein and VERY MINIMALLY from carbs and sugars.
    Morning all.

Hi.

I've eaten over 200g of carbs a day for the last month, a large portion of which come from bread, chocolate and energy drinks. I lost 9.7lbs last month - pretty much in line with my expectations based on assumed calorie deficit.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Try one of my workouts on a low carb diet. LOL

What's one of your workouts then?
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    No. I mean firstly soluble fiber is not totally un digested because our gut bacteria turn it into short chain fats which we then absorb. Secondly food except for the most highly refined kind is often not fully digested. Thirdly I think that the body probably uses protein differently than just treating it as energy to burn. That covers the "in" portion. As for out, there is obviously a range that our metabolism can adjust unconsciously, apparently anorexics can have metabolic rates slow down by 20% so that is probably the max it can slow but that's still an annoyingly large portion of calories. Thirdly our NEAT is very variable both per individual and within individuals under different conditions.

Clearly there is a lot more to weight than just calories in and out. But calories in and out is a good method of portion control because it's more convenient than individually counting carbs, fats and protein. Also there are limits, you literally could not gain weight on less than X if you do Y. Those limits are variable but they are real. With the right tech you could probably work them out for yourself but it's expensive.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If I showed you my calorie and weight curve for the the last nine weeks you would see constant calories and minor weight loss for the first four weeks, then suddenly I increased weight

further evidence that weight change is not strictly a function of calories ?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    If I showed you my calorie and weight curve for the the last nine weeks you would see constant calories and minor weight loss for the first four weeks, then suddenly I increased weight

further evidence that weight change is not strictly a function of calories ?
    No that's water weight. Has about as much to do with your actual weight loss as weighing yourself naked vs. with clothes on.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Try one of my workouts on a low carb diet. LOL

What's one of your workouts then?

I give you a basic because I do not know your strength level.
    I lift and do cardio in the same session or go home and do cardio.

Gym For muscle strength I rest two minutes and for size I rest 60 sec.
    I always superset biceps and triceps
    Cardio is either HIIT or cardio acceleration.

I split days to upper body and lower body.
    Cardio is jump rope for HIIT it is stuck at around 60-65 revolutions in 20 sec with 10 sec breaks for 4 minutes if I ate enough (monday) carbs. If not that workouts not getting done.

Cardio acceleration is usually Wednesdays Thursday Friday 2/3 days. The third day is HIIT cardio.
    The bear is a full body workout with weights. Google it if you do not know what it is.= my cardio.(usually Tuesday after weights)
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

...define "quality"...

...what do these links mean to you...

...what were your interpretations of the cited studies...

...if you ate "quality" (however defined) in a net caloric surplus, would you gain or lose weight...

...if in a net caloric deficit, would you gain or lose weight...

...if you ate "poor quality" (however defined) in a net caloric surplus, would you gain or lose weight...

...please explain your answers...

*collapses on floor from exhaustion*

You must not be eating enough! Twinkie? :laugh:
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    *sigh*

...define "quality"...

...what do these links mean to you...

...what were your interpretations of the cited studies...

...if you ate "quality" (however defined) in a net caloric surplus, would you gain or lose weight...

...if you ate "poor quality" (however defined) in a net caloric surplus, would you gain or lose weight...

...please explain your answers...

*collapses on floor from exhaustion*

You must not be eating enough! Twinkie? :laugh:

What are you talking about?
  • AnswerzPwease
    AnswerzPwease Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. 2000 from breads and starches versus 2000 calories from fat/protein will affect your body QUITE differently. One will cause your blood sugar to skyrocket while the other gives you proper energy and nutrients your body naturally needs.

"Everything in moderation" is great if you're trying to maintain weight. However, if you're trying to lose it it's better if the calories come from fats and protein and VERY MINIMALLY from carbs and sugars.

Yes, quality matters!
    Of course quality matters.

In the morning when I'm getting my bagel I refuse to eat them by the hospital, instead I drive 3 miles because the quality of those is so much better.

The quality of Talenti gelato is miles beyond Turkey Hill or Breyers so I stick to my talenti. Again, quality matters.

I always get a kick out of seeing people spout of about minimal sugar and quality blah blah blah when it comes to losing weight and that it's different if you are trying to maintain or gain deliberately. It's just a bunch of nonsense. So many times these people have the closed diaries, no pictures or one single picture which shows no actual application to their beliefs. Here let me show you what not avoiding sugar, not being worried about "quality" of every calorie or meal timing or restriction can achieve. What eating pizza 3x per week, gelato daily, bagels, cookies, KFC can look like if you stop making excuses and get your butt into the gym......

um1fNtq.png?1

Making excuses and playing the victim is easy. Executing a game plan is much more rewarding

Congrats on your success.

I'm curious if it was easier for you because you didn't really have much to lose. Versus me who has 150 pounds to lose?
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Yes, quality matters!
    Of course quality matters.

In the morning when I'm getting my bagel I refuse to eat them by the hospital, instead I drive 3 miles because the quality of those is so much better.

The quality of Talenti gelato is miles beyond Turkey Hill or Breyers so I stick to my talenti. Again, quality matters.

I always get a kick out of seeing people spout of about minimal sugar and quality blah blah blah when it comes to losing weight and that it's different if you are trying to maintain or gain deliberately. It's just a bunch of nonsense. So many times these people have the closed diaries, no pictures or one single picture which shows no actual application to their beliefs. Here let me show you what not avoiding sugar, not being worried about "quality" of every calorie or meal timing or restriction can achieve. What eating pizza 3x per week, gelato daily, bagels, cookies, KFC can look like if you stop making excuses and get your butt into the gym......

um1fNtq.png?1

Making excuses and playing the victim is easy. Executing a game plan is much more rewarding

Congrats on your success.

I'm curious if it was easier for you because you didn't really have much to lose. Versus me who has 150 pounds to lose?

I do not think having less to lose changes the fact of making it easier. We did not get big eating lots of fruits and veggies nutrient dense foods. I top out at 265 but that was such a blur that I cut down on drinking which was very hard since I love alcohol. I stop eating out a lot. The bigger the person is the more healthy a larger calorie deficit can be? That makes no sense to me though but that is the claim.

Also like MrM27 said EXERCISE and have a game plan like how much to lose per week. How much to workout per week? If a emotional eater how to cope with stress without food? How many times to eat out.?
    Think about any and all things when trying to lose weight and one day you will figure it out for your body. That when the fat melts off of you and weight loss becomes a stress free journey to the new and more healthier you. Also You got to stay active in life. So many benefits.
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Clean eating and exercise works! Lost 20 lbs since I started in June, Yes! I don't worry about calories, but eat healthy and it is falling off.
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    HAHAHAHLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Clean eating and exercise works! Lost 20 lbs since I started in June, Yes! I don't worry about calories, but eat healthy and it is falling off.

You do realize that clean eating still means you are eating below your maintenance right? 20 LBS in a month. I wonder how much of that is muscle loss. Be careful of skinny fat.