"Stop the Beauty Madness" Campaign

Options
124»

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    it is cultural. In the west, a blonde girl will almost always symbolize beauty. A tiny one in US, with some more curves in Europe.

But In Japan, a blonde skinny girl is not a symbol or beauty, nor is she in Africa or in the middle east.

There is nothing bad with that, it is just cultural

You are a white man. You do not have the experience of a woman behind you to back up "there is nothing bad with that." Plenty of women will tell you is it bad. You didn't even read what the OP wrote, because she said we should QUESTION why our culture says this is the norm.

Seriously? Man hate somewhere else. His response was valid and targeted to the OP.
  • AnotherXFitGuy
    AnotherXFitGuy Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Memo to the anti-beauty crusaders:

The solution is not to change society; you'll never do that. The solution is to change yourself or get the hell over it. And if it makes you that freaking bitter that you don't meet society's definition of "beautiful," then some ruthless self-assessment and self-improvement might be exactly what you need. It's not society's fault that you have a defeatist attitude. And spare me your attempt to convince me that you love yourself. If you did, you wouldn't be whining about what other people think of you and why only old dudes ever hit on you.

This!!!
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Interesting. We have to follow a beauty idol, I guess. For example, when I lived in Germany as a teenager (looooong time ago), I never shaved my armpits (kind of like NENA in the 80's) and ran around like a punk. Nobody seemed to care back then. Today people look at you like you are from Mars when you run around with unshaved armpits or legs, lol.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Sorry, maybe I'm a cynic. I just know that in a few days or weeks we'll learn that the "Stop the Beauty Madness" campaign is just a marketing ploy to sell lipstick or some other crap.

I love women, I support women, I root for women...but advertising thinks you ladies are dumb as **** and more often than not you fall for it. It's a shame.

Put down the damn magazines. Read books. Stop telling yourselves fashion is important. Stop tearing each other down at every chance.

I agree with the bold part and women really should put down the magazines. Absolutely nothing worth reading in them.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    Sorry, maybe I'm a cynic. I just know that in a few days or weeks we'll learn that the "Stop the Beauty Madness" campaign is just a marketing ploy to sell lipstick or some other crap.

I love women, I support women, I root for women...but advertising thinks you ladies are dumb as **** and more often than not you fall for it. It's a shame.

Put down the damn magazines. Read books. Stop telling yourselves fashion is important. Stop tearing each other down at every chance.

I agree with the bold part and women really should put down the magazines. Absolutely nothing worth reading in them.

Agree with ALL of this.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I feel like there are two separate issues being discussed here. The supposed "standard" of beauty and then the idea that "beauty" is valued above other qualities. I find both issues to be over exaggerated.

There really isn't even a "type" in Hollywood. There are plenty of non-traditional beauties (Penelope Cruz for example), lots of non-blondes, lots of small petite ladies and super tall ones (Nicole Kidman), skinny women, curvy women, etc. Sure, heavier women don't have much of a place in Hollywood but that brings me to my next point, I don't know many people in real life who are somehow confused that Hollywood is how every other place in the world is. Most of us know that "standard beauty" is somewhat rare and most of us know and accept that a lot of people can be "beautiful" with a little effort, and a good personality, and even if they can't a lot of people are able to find mates and friends anyway.

And sure, I'd imagine that my level of attractiveness is what initially drew my husband to me at the bar that night..... or it could have been that my friend and I were the only women there. Pretty sure my personality is what drove him to stick around for 12 years. My beauty has nothing to do with my education and/or my career. It didn't get me my high ACT score that got me into my high level college. It didn't have anything to do with me succeed at that college while working 30 hours a week, or going back after 3 kids and getting an advanced degree. My beauty is there. I'm aware of it. Occasionally I try to play it up but not often. Also I'm getting older, it's fading a bit and that's okay. My husband won't stop loving me and I'm not going to lose my job because of it.

So sure, some women feel pressure to meet some sort of beauty standard and some women feel like their appearance is valued over other things, but what percentage are we talking about? 5%? Do we REALLY need an entire advertizing campaign about it? Can't we focus on more important issues within the feminist movement? Rape culture? Wage gap? Women in math and science?
  • bonkosaurusrex
    Options
    it is cultural. In the west, a blonde girl will almost always symbolize beauty. A tiny one in US, with some more curves in Europe.

But In Japan, a blonde skinny girl is not a symbol or beauty, nor is she in Africa or in the middle east.

There is nothing bad with that, it is just cultural

You are a white man. You do not have the experience of a woman behind you to back up "there is nothing bad with that." Plenty of women will tell you is it bad. You didn't even read what the OP wrote, because she said we should QUESTION why our culture says this is the norm.

BUSTED.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I hate handcuffs. I would rather they just use chloroform on me and get it over with. Sometimes, I like it when I am unconscious.....

:laugh: No, I gotta be conscious, because then I can nag him if he's not doing it right!
    Oh my god :laugh:
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

I read books, don't care about fashion, and do my best to lift up rather than tear down other women. And lucky for me all my friends are like this too.
  • jjhanlon
    jjhanlon Posts: 74 Member
    Options

The solution is not to change society; you'll never do that. The solution is to change yourself or get the hell over it. And if it makes you that freaking bitter that you don't meet society's definition of "beautiful," then some ruthless self-assessment and self-improvement might be exactly what you need. It's not society's fault that you have a defeatist attitude. And spare me your attempt to convince me that you love yourself. If you did, you wouldn't be whining about what other people think of you and why only old dudes ever hit on you.

Bahahaha

This. Definitely this.
    You have two options, pick one :)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    The solution is to change yourself

That's exactly what I'm doing. But I figured out the solution to the old dudes. Time for a total makeover, not just my weight. Hair, make-up, clothes, and attitude. I'll go as far as a blue and purple Mohawk and facial piercings if that's what it takes to scare away the grandpas.

I would love to see that transformation! I got snakebites and a mowkawk-like cut.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I really don't know why people think fashion and liking the way you look (and liking to read) are mutually exclusive . I think its possible to like fashion and like the way you look too. I'm very short (<5ft) and not a waif, I have an hourglass figure and 99% of the clothes out there is more flattering on a straight figure. No big deal, 1% of fashionable clothes looks good on me and I wear that instead. Besides, you don't want a closet full of trendy clothes, you buy mostly high quality classic pieces that are universally flattering and last you several years and add 1-2 trendy pieces a season...There's plenty of choice and its all about picking something that flatters YOU.

I always get compliments on my fashion sense even though I am a foot shorter and 10lbs heavier (and not to mention not white) than the beauty standard and I don't even wear make up because I can't be bothered. I think I look great anyway and if I look at a magazine I look at it with the eye of "what will flatter me?" Not "what should I look like?" If you look at a magazine and feel crappy about yourself its not the magazine that's done that, you have. You're looking at it the wrong way. Anyone can look fashionable if they want to if they just pick flattering cuts.

I'm also not ditzy and I read books to the tune of ~1 a week. Classics and epic fantasies are my favorites...Just gunna throw that out there.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

^This. What was it Maya Angelou said? Oh yeah - “What you're supposed to do when you don't like a thing is change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it. Don't complain.”
  • QuietBloom
    Options

That's exactly what I'm doing. But I figured out the solution to the old dudes. Time for a total makeover, not just my weight. Hair, make-up, clothes, and attitude. I'll go as far as a blue and purple Mohawk and facial piercings if that's what it takes to scare away the grandpas.

Why are you offended that older men hit on you? Behave graciously and consider it flattering. I'm willing to bet that a change in attitude will net you more hits from guys you are interested in. Honey & flies and all that.
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    As a man, I feel thoroughly offended that women are not attracted to big hairy bellies and crotches and I think that society needs to wake up and realize that my hairy *kitten* is just as beautiful as someone like Stephen Amell's.

#YesAllBalls #BBBSpride #Testiculosity
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

Why are you offended that older men hit on you? Behave graciously and consider it flattering. I'm willing to bet that a change in attitude will net you more hits from guys you are interested in. Honey & flies and all that.

If I'm out on the prowl and someone I won't be compatible with starts monopolizing my time, someone I might be compatible with isn't going to approach me. Last Friday I failed for almost three hours to extricate myself from such a situation. In my defense, I'm usually not that dimwitted, I was coming down with a cold and I was woozy.

I will be gracious. I will be flattered. But from now on, I will be very, very brief. And honest. I'm just going to say, "Sorry, I'm out here looking to meet someone, and you and I wouldn't work out."
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options

If I'm out on the prowl and someone I won't be compatible with starts monopolizing my time, someone I might be compatible with isn't going to approach me. Last Friday I failed for almost three hours to extricate myself from such a situation. In my defense, I'm usually not that dimwitted, I was coming down with a cold and I was woozy.

I will be gracious. I will be flattered. But from now on, I will be very, very brief. And honest. I'm just going to say, "Sorry, I'm out here looking to meet someone, and you and I wouldn't work out."

when old man talk to me I find it helps to start hissing they will think you are insane and leave you alone

works all the time
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

when old man talk to me I find it helps to start hissing they will think you are insane and leave you alone

works all the time

I'll keep it in mind, but I'll wait to resort to it until my graciousness fails! :laugh:

I'm mostly over my frustration. It's just been a weird week and a half. Three older men hit on me, not one my own age gave me a second look.

Obviously I'm sending the wrong signals. Never thought I'd say this in my life, but it's time for a make-over.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

Sounds like a solid plan! :drinker: