TGIF Thanks all you can eat appetizers.

Options

Replies

• kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Hello:

I'm Canadian, we don't have TGIF. I would like to know who I am to blame for becoming fat? Is it because I live on the border and American air has seeped over contaminating my "we don't even HAVE a buffet" town?

Please respond quickly, I just gained a pound.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hello:

I'm Canadian, we don't have TGIF. I would like to know who I am to blame for becoming fat? Is it because I live on the border and American air has seeped over contaminating my "we don't even HAVE a buffet" town?

The creation and access to poutine?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I just see the big picture. Progressive restaurants are not doing these kinds of promotions. for obvious reasons.

I snicker at how some of you blame me for pointing out someting significant and that just makes plain sense. :drinker:

Can I have a list of those Progressive Restaurants?

You know, so I can avoid them.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options

The creation and access to poutine?

Without poutine there would be no need for Universal Health Care, and then where would we be?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Ha. you are so right. (jk) i just looked on mfp to see how many calories there are in those all you can eat potato skins…

oh? nothing on mfp per order..just per piece. so ..that would be 160 calories per one skin.

when you make food for the masses.. you have a responsibility ….making food more calorie laden than needed is wrong. we know this people after coutning calories. we know we could make a small potato skin for way fewer calories than 160.

this is why America is fat.

You know...some people actually need a lot of calories. When I get done with this cut and move to a bulk I'm probably going to require something in the 3500-4500 calories per day range at which 1600 calories in a sitting is actually something I will be seeking out intentionally. If I can get that on the cheap all the better.

Before you think those numbers are extreme, no...they really aren't. Extreme is an olympic athlete who requires something like 12,000 calories per day.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Poutine.

POUTINE!

THE HOCKEY FOOD OF THE GODS!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Hello:

We don't? We did. I've been to one here. They closed but I always assumed there was more. Perhaps we Canadians just prefer the Healthful High Road.

Oh, you can also buy their brand of frozen appetizers are the grocery store. Does that mean I need to avoid the grocery stores that sell them?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Poutine.

POUTINE!

THE HOCKEY FOOD OF THE GODS!

Poutine is one of the greatest things about being Canadian.

"Break out the stretchy pants, Toronto. All-you-can-eat poutine is coming to town"

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/5556797
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I just see the big picture. Progressive restaurants are not doing these kinds of promotions. for obvious reasons.

I snicker at how some of you blame me for pointing out someting significant and that just makes plain sense. :drinker:

There's many, many vegetarian, Hari Krishna restaurants in my city that do $5.50 all you can eat all day. It's one of the cheapest lunches out.

And it never makes sense to blame a restaurant for people being fat, and the fact that people thinks it does it kinda what's wrong with the world.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    when you make food for the masses.. you have a responsibility ….making food more calorie laden than needed is wrong. we know this people after coutning calories. we know we could make a small potato skin for way fewer calories than 160.

How do you explain those people like me who gained excess weight because of the food prepared in their kitchens as opposed to eating at restaurants?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options

I would love to believe that I am special but the reality is restaurants are businesses. As businesses, restaurants have obligations to adhere to government regulations first and foremost. Secondly, their obligations are to their shareholders. Never in the course of doing business are restaurants responsible to place a bell around my neck to ring once I hit my calorie max for the day or week.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    when you make food for the masses.. you have a responsibility …
    ... to serve food that people want to buy at a price they are willing to pay and which provides sufficient profit for you to remain in business.

The responsibility for the decisions whether to buy that food and how much of it to eat is on the consumer.

I know it's all a bit complicated and hard to accept for people who know what's best for everyone in the world, but just keep reminding yourself "I don't have to eat there and it's none of my business if other people do, unless they ask me about it."
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    when you make food for the masses.. you have a responsibility …
    ... to serve food that people want to buy at a price they are willing to pay and which provides sufficient profit for you to remain in business.

The responsibility for the decisions whether to buy that food and how much of it to eat is on the consumer.

I know it's all a bit complicated and hard to accept for people who know what's best for everyone in the world, but just keep reminding yourself "I don't have to eat there and it's none of my business if other people do, unless they ask me about it."

So much this! It's called personal responsibility.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

There's many, many vegetarian, Hari Krishna restaurants in my city that do $5.50 all you can eat all day. It's one of the cheapest lunches out.

And it never makes sense to blame a restaurant for people being fat, and the fact that people thinks it does it kinda what's wrong with the world.

*adds to list of emergency sources of cheap food*

And I'm in zero danger of being recruited, because they don't take people who have a lot of debt. Yay, student loans!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

What did you point out that was plain sense? I re-read the thread and have yet to find it.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

"Progressive restaurants"? No such thing. There are high calorie offerings at the healthiest places. They don't do promotions like this because their business aren't struggling. What you are seeing with "unlimited X" are restaurants in their death throes - Red Lobster, Olive Garden, TGIF, etc. First come the giveaways, then the endless coupons/promotions, then layoffs/closures. A successful business will have people beating down the door and they won't have to give an ounce of product away.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

"Progressive restaurants"? No such thing. There are high calorie offerings at the healthiest places. They don't do promotions like this because their business aren't struggling. What you are seeing with "unlimited X" are restaurants in their death throes - Red Lobster, Olive Garden, TGIF, etc. First come the giveaways, then the endless coupons/promotions, then layoffs/closures. A successful business will have people beating down the door and they won't have to give an ounce of product away.

This too! I'm pretty sure I can go to one of my local farm to table restaurants and stack up the same calorie count in cheese and charcuterie, fresh pasta and other delicious yummies.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

How do you explain those people like me who gained excess weight because of the food prepared in their kitchens as opposed to eating at restaurants?

Grocery stores are 2nd in line of the ebil doers. Having buy 2 get 1 free deals, saving prices, buying in bulk....oh the horror!
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts, so forgive me if this has already been said.
    Not sure what you consider a "Healthy" establishment to eat in, but have you seen how much sodium is in restaurant salads? It is crazy, I know sodium isn't the be all and end all but it is crazy to me that a salad can have over 1000 mg of sodium.
    So, beware, not all "Healthy" foods are always the best for you either.
    Now before everyone jumps down my throat, I get that having a salad at a restaurant is better than the fries etc. I just think we need to stop kidding ourselves that "Healthy" foods are good regardless of where you get them.

And I don't blame the restaurants, as others have probably said, they aren't force feeding us. They are a business trying to make money. If you can't control yourself when you go out to eat, then perhaps you shouldn't go out to eat. Just sayin'