Three Day Military Diet?

Options

Replies

• Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Unless you're eating rat packs or MRE's I doubt that it's a true representation of a "military diet".
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    *dingdingdingdingding* give this poster a prize for getting it SOOO right!
    There is nothing magic about any diet. Don't over complicate the process. Eat food you enjoy to a calorie deficit.
  • silvercat64
    Options
    I actually had a military recruiter recommend something like this to me when I was considering my options in high school. (It was like 15 years ago, so I don't know if it's exactly the same, but it looks familiar.) Being a gullible teenager, I tried it. I was constantly hungry during the diet phase, so I just ended up eating it back in the following four days. IMHO it's a waste of time.
  • fleetdoc23
    Options
    Well take it from someone who has seen this "diet" in action. This is in was in use as early as the mid-nineties and the title the author has given it makes it seem like it was a sanctioned thing. The author even admits in the first few paragraphs that "this is used to get in shape quickly, and also for new recruits" (Meaning short term loss to either make weight cutoff, or drop a few inches to beat the tape).

I can speak for both Navy and Marine Recruits having been a little heavy coming in Navy Boot, and being stationed at Parris Island 96-99ish. The basic diet regimen for recruits in my day who need loss (or gain) is eating the same chow as everyone else with a few modifications (No desserts, chicken/fish substitutes sometimes, fruits). In fact the ones who had it worse were the underweight ones (had to eat double chow, in same amount of time). With lots of PT. You should see some of the before and afters I personally witnessed there.

That being said, this diet, and variations have been around for some time. It is not in widespread use. There are certain physical standards that are adhered to, and this is usually used by people who are either on the borderline or over weight standards, and done in a "last minute panic" fashion. This never changes behavior, and these same people are usually repeating the process 6 months later for the next fitness test. It was usually combined with the fat burner of choice (in the 90's it was ephedra), which resulted in the ambulance picking up people around PRT season in V-fib.

My true diet when I was with the grunts consisted of chow hall stuff, lots of fast food,lots of adult beverages, and an insane amount of various physical activities. It was not uncommon to drink ridiculous amounts of Kool aid (cough) while writing our Mother's until midnight and get up and run 5 miles the next day. My eating habits were terrible in those days.

You will lose muscle on this diet, which saps your energy, and will destroy your long term resolve. Best not to even go down this path. You will rapidly gain weight back (homeostasis is a pain).

Now ALL that being said. I did have someone when I was stationed in Sicily lose 40 pounds eating nothing but apples in a two month period. He also lost around 60 points off his total cholesterol count. This was probably the most extreme this I had witnessed in my career.

Good luck no matter what choice you make!
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    It's what you do over time that matters, three days isn't enough time to have real results.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Unless you're eating rat packs or MRE's I doubt that it's a true representation of a "military diet".

You rock! :love:
  • fleetdoc23
    Options
    That's a good one! Most MRE's have around 1250 calories per pack plus you can heat it with the enclosed ration heater at your desk (do they still have these?lol), or just put the entree pack inside your bra/blouse next to your skin and warm it up that way(laugh). Or if you want ,Nam-style C-rats just eat franks and beans, drink hot beer and smoke Marlboro's.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,282 Member
    Options
    Why do stupid stuff?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly sure that there is no "military" diet.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    My mom is medically obese and has success with the three-day diet, but I have repeatedly told her that it is extremely unhealthy. I tried it and was starving and didn't lose an ounce of weight! I took the time to calculate the calories for each day and they are all under 1200 calories, but one of those days was 900 calories! That is literally starving the body. I understand that it's only for three days, but cutting calories that low still isn't healthy.

if she's still obese, she's not really having success with it.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    That's a good one! Most MRE's have around 1250 calories per pack plus you can heat it with the enclosed ration heater at your desk (do they still have these?lol), or just put the entree pack inside your bra/blouse next to your skin and warm it up that way(laugh). Or if you want ,Nam-style C-rats just eat franks and beans, drink hot beer and smoke Marlboro's.

Eat the food cold and use the heater to make the instant coffee.
  • violetbluemornings
    violetbluemornings Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have tried this a couple times with modifications because I am a vegetarian. It left me weak and hungry. I lost about 5 lbs. probably water weight.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Some things you don't need to try to know it's a bad idea. Meth, for example, or flinging yourself headlong into cacti. Drinking bleach, walking on broken glass, trying to steal a baby bear from its mother...

Glad I wasn't drinking anything because I would have spit it out laughing.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Well take it from someone who has seen this "diet" in action. This is in was in use as early as the mid-nineties and the title the author has given it makes it seem like it was a sanctioned thing. The author even admits in the first few paragraphs that "this is used to get in shape quickly, and also for new recruits" (Meaning short term loss to either make weight cutoff, or drop a few inches to beat the tape).

I can speak for both Navy and Marine Recruits having been a little heavy coming in Navy Boot, and being stationed at Parris Island 96-99ish. The basic diet regimen for recruits in my day who need loss (or gain) is eating the same chow as everyone else with a few modifications (No desserts, chicken/fish substitutes sometimes, fruits). In fact the ones who had it worse were the underweight ones (had to eat double chow, in same amount of time). With lots of PT. You should see some of the before and afters I personally witnessed there.

That being said, this diet, and variations have been around for some time. It is not in widespread use. There are certain physical standards that are adhered to, and this is usually used by people who are either on the borderline or over weight standards, and done in a "last minute panic" fashion. This never changes behavior, and these same people are usually repeating the process 6 months later for the next fitness test. It was usually combined with the fat burner of choice (in the 90's it was ephedra), which resulted in the ambulance picking up people around PRT season in V-fib.

My true diet when I was with the grunts consisted of chow hall stuff, lots of fast food,lots of adult beverages, and an insane amount of various physical activities. It was not uncommon to drink ridiculous amounts of Kool aid (cough) while writing our Mother's until midnight and get up and run 5 miles the next day. My eating habits were terrible in those days.

You will lose muscle on this diet, which saps your energy, and will destroy your long term resolve. Best not to even go down this path. You will rapidly gain weight back (homeostasis is a pain).

Now ALL that being said. I did have someone when I was stationed in Sicily lose 40 pounds eating nothing but apples in a two month period. He also lost around 60 points off his total cholesterol count. This was probably the most extreme this I had witnessed in my career.

Good luck no matter what choice you make!

Uh-oh, I anticipate a new trend on the board soon, "The Apple diet - how to lose 40 pounds in 2 months!"
  • paulzli
    paulzli Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love seeing the people that actually take this seriously.
  • 12_oz_Curls
    12_oz_Curls Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I really just skipped most of the things. Looked at the page, and blew it off. Having been in the military, I can tell you there is a diet to lost massive lbs. in minimum days. It involved sitting in the sauna, sweating off water weight, and doing nothing but should workouts to ensure you maximized your body/fat percentage. Basically you can lose up to 15 lbs in a week and by the end of it you are non-functional and can't even perform your basic job.
  • paulzli
    paulzli Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Good thing to know if I ever end up as Forrest Gump.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    So what are the chances the OP will update with her success?
  • 12_oz_Curls
    12_oz_Curls Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    wait? the OP was actually somebody considering this?
  • coopieclan
    coopieclan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For those of you trying or on the 3 day diet plan. I have stared a group "3 Day Diet" . Please join so that we can connect. Haters are not invited and can keep their opinions to themselves.