Help - Parenting Advice

Options
1235»

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    You could try the route my father did with me....

"Stop the damn crying and suck it up, you little b**ch!"

Worked fine and now I'm a well adjusted member of society.

*sniff*

Can I get a hug?

Aww, I really do wanna hug you.

I have one super sensitive little 7 year old - I coddle when necessary and try to reason when it's not. I'm also totally guilty of saying "I'll give you something to cry about" in a moment of sheer frustration - I don't mean spanking (we don't do that), I mean take away your YouTube time or something. Bad mom, I am.

I think it's super hard for kiddos to properly express their emotions (frustration, fear, anxiety, etc) so they just cry. We work a lot on talking about *why* we're crying so we can fix it. There's a good book out there, it's called "The Feelings Book" - it's been helpful, too.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I think it's super hard for kiddos to properly express their emotions (frustration, fear, anxiety, etc) so they just cry. We work a lot on talking about *why* we're crying so we can fix it. There's a good book out there, it's called "The Feelings Book" - it's been helpful, too.

Kid's book or parent's book?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Kid's book or parent's book?

It's both - and honestly it's geared towards girls, but I think you can use for boys easily. It's made by American Girl.

We read it together, and she keeps the copy, and pulls it out as necessary.
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    From a Speech Therapist point of view, have a think about how you respond/react when he cries. Do you hug him a lot or do you let him cry it out? Do you ask him 'what's wrong?' or 'why are you crying?' Teach him that in some situations it's ok to cry, but that sometimes we have to be strong and not cry (for example if someone eats the thing you want, having said that, it was pretty harsh if the peanut butter cup was actually your kid's and the bf just took it).

Crying every day can be extremely draining for both you and your child. Helping him work through the question of why he is crying might actually help him stop from doing it. I'm not so sure if a counsellor would be an option particularly if he gets teary regularly. If you're able to be consistent in saying, "No need to cry, you're fine, there's no crying in baseball...etc" then he'll learn from what you're saying and start to become more emotionally strong. You can't change something straight away and it helps to be consistent in your approach when trying to reduce the tears.

If all else fails, google 'social stories'. These are really good for children who hate to lose and regularly reading these to children and teaching that it's ok to not win, helps in learning that it's ok to not be perfect at everything.

I use social stories regularly in speech therapy. I'm using one at the moment that 'interrupting' is rude and teaching older children that you need to raise your hand in class instead of interrupting.

Good luck!

ETA: Just another thought, teach that instead of crying, tell you why he feels like crying. Help him to explain to you his frustration/need for crying and if you do this daily, he'll learn to tell you why he feels like crying instead of crying. Does that make sense?