The Age Old Debate: Organic or Conventional

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I actively avoid anything labeled "organic."

Our homegrown tomatoes are better than anything in a store and they aren't grown organically. It seems to me to be more a question of the type of tomato and we don't need to grow transportable tomatoes or pick them early.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I feel mostly that Organic is a marketing ploy, much like low carb, cholesterol free, low fat, gluten free, and lite.

This one time I got organic bananas because they were out of regular at the store. Tasted yuck. That's not an intellectual argument, it's just a personal observation from one time. I paid more for added suck.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    I feel mostly that Organic is a marketing ploy, much like low carb, cholesterol free, low fat, gluten free, and lite.

This one time I got organic bananas because they were out of regular at the store. Tasted yuck. That's not an intellectual argument, it's just a personal observation from one time. I paid more for added suck.
    There may be times when that makes sense, but probably never with regard to groceries.
  • emilyGPK
    emilyGPK Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I buy organic for philosophical reasons when I support the approach of that farmer (land conservation etc). I don't think the food is actually different. It is made in a different way that I support when it is done responsibly (e.g. not withholding medicine from animals just to keep certification).
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I usually buy what's fresher and I buy local whenever possible (which tends to be organic).

How do you know that the local produce is organic? Where do you buy it?

Local markets where it's advertised, farmer's markets, a delivery service that works directly with local farmers, etc. I'm also down the road from a farm that raises grass-fed beef, super tasty chickens (no clue what they feed them, but yum) and some other products. That said, I have it pretty good here when it comes to local options for fresh produce.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I favour frozen veggies. From the moment vegetables are harvested they start to decrease in nutritional value.

I'd assume that remains the same be they "organic" or "conventional" (whatever that terms supposed to mean).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I can't afford organic. And honestly, I probably wouldn't seek it out if I could, because when things are labeled non-GMO or organic it just makes me think the company is encouraging fear-mongering and manipulating the public.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I buy produce at Walmart. Ain't nobody got time or money for organic produce (and by nobody I mean my husband and I. And even if we did have the time and money we'd spend it on other stuff. Like video games)
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no interest in supporting the organic movement, the shaky science on which most of the pro-organic arguments are made, or the outright scaremongering. I buy regular fruits and vegetables.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I can't afford organic. And honestly, I probably wouldn't seek it out if I could, because when things are labeled non-GMO or organic it just makes me think the company is encouraging fear-mongering and manipulating the public.
    I buy produce at Walmart. Ain't nobody got time or money for organic produce (and by nobody I mean my husband and I. And even if we did have the time and money we'd spend it on other stuff. Like video games)
    I have absolutely no interest in supporting the organic movement, the shaky science on which most of the pro-organic arguments are made, or the outright scaremongering. I buy regular fruits and vegetables.

^All of this. So much all of the above.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I do not feel this is truly the or even an "age old debate".
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Agree.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

And all of this is why I wish I could strangle every single person that makes these ridiculous claims about organics and GMO's, seriously, damn hippies need to stay OFF my side.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I do not feel this is truly the or even an "age old debate".

god. I thought I was the only one.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...for later.
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Let me correct that by saying I have never put a drop of chemical on my land.

You don't water your garden? Water's full of chemicals like hydrogen and oxygen. :happy:

My (admittedly snarky) point, of course, is that EVERYTHING is made up of chemicals. Both the "man-made" stuff and the "mother nature" stuff. It's all chemistry either way, isn't it?

For some reasons we tend to make a distinction that substances that come from nature or from the activities non-human animals are "good", but substances that come from the activities of human animals are "bad".

Which seems odd to me. There are plenty of perfectly "natural" things that are terrible for you--even toxic. And there are plenty of 'human" things that are just fine--even life-saving.

So yeah, I guess it's getting a bit too philosophical for the point of this thread, but... Humans are part of nature, so why aren't they things we make part of nature too? Why is a beaver dam, or a honeycomb, or an anthill considered "nature", but a Ford Mustang or a Apple iPad not? Aren't they all just the result of an animal using the abilities nature gave it to fashion new things out of its environment?

Isn't it interesting that when we use our muscles and organs (the brain is an organ!) to transform some substances into a new substance, we call the result "artificial", but when a spider or a bee does the same thing to make a web or honey we call it "natural"?

can we not just keep quoting this and call it a day??
  • PapaChanoli
    PapaChanoli Posts: 178 Member
    Options

I truly regret wasting my time on that video.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    From the article: "'The published literature lacks strong evidence that organic foods are significantly more nutritious than conventional foods,' [the 2012 study] found."