The Age Old Debate: Organic or Conventional

Options
12346»

Replies

• Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I mentioned organic foods in a post and it stirred up all kinds of comments. So, I was wondering how the majority feels on the subject.
    My humble opinion: Eat organic whenever possible. Who needs the added junk they put on our foods to prolong shelf life and keep insects from eating our food. Insects are small, I think they'll leave some for us :wink:
    I agree that organic foods are not "better" for you in that the nutrients in vegetables don't change when you leave off the pesticides, herbicides. . .
    I have an advantage however; we grow a lot of our own food. We have a vegetable garden, herb garden, a pear tree, apple tree, plum tree, apricot tree, mulberry tree, raspberry bushes, blackberry bushes, blueberry bushes and 2 grape arbors. Over the years I've planted them for the very purpose of providing my family with good clean produce.
    Never has a chemical touched my land. I don't have a lot of land either. All of this is grown on less than an acre with enough open space to look like I have a gold course.
    I have a pony who also eats only organic as well as my chickens. Many of the herbs and small veggies (i.e. cherry tomatoes, hot peppers) grow on my porch.
    So yeah, I am a proponent of organic foods. If you can't grow them, afford them or find them than convention is the next best thing so don't go without your fruits and veggies.

Can I come live with you?
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    "Organic" doesn't mean much to me because of what the USDA requirements are for 'Organic'. I prefer pastured or grassfed products when I can afford them.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    From the article: "'The published literature lacks strong evidence that organic foods are significantly more nutritious than conventional foods,' [the 2012 study] found."

You read the whole article and that's all you decided to quote? It's not even about this study specifically. The 2012 study mentioned is the most recent study prior to the one mentioned in the article. There were plenty of quotes from people about the actual study in question. And "in question" is a good way to describe it. Just a strange cherry picked quote you have there.

Curiously, the 2012 study did apparently find that pesticide residue was higher in conventional products, so I guess all the people in this thread who mentioned might be on to something.