Fruit = sugar ... arghh!!

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3894001

Most notably the part that reads: These experiments show that elevations in insulin produce increased hunger, heightened perceived pleasantness of sweet taste, and increased food intake.

You know what increases insulin levels? Eating simple sugars.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • LazerMole
    LazerMole Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You know what else insulin does? Helps trigger storage of fat.
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Sorry to burst your bubbles up in here, but sugar is sugar.

Your body does not say "Oh, well THIS sugar came from an APPLE, so I'm going to treat it differently than if it had come from a CANDY BAR".

It's still sugar. It still rots your teeth. It still stimulates the production of insulin.

Fruit these days is absolutely ridiculous and has been bred over years and years to be more packed with sugar and less packed with fiber.

The only outliers in this tend to be berries. They have sugar, but are still primarily fiber, and can be eaten in moderation. If you're worried about your vitamins and minerals, eat more non-starchy vegetables. Fruits are mostly useless, and are a common trigger for people to over consume because they think "Oh, it's FRUIT! It must be healthy!". But your body goes "Oh, it's SUGAR! Give me more SUGAR!" and pretty soon you're craving any ol' sweet thing.

Giggle.

Double giggle.

Tripple the fun

Quadruple because really? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Let me quintuple, no, sextuple that... I saw quintuple was already taken.

:huh: :noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Most notably the part that reads: These experiments show that elevations in insulin produce increased hunger, heightened perceived pleasantness of sweet taste, and increased food intake.

Guess what… protein increases insulin levels as well!!

Oh, and I'd like to see the full study. Not just the abstract :smile:
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Yeah, in people whose pancreas cannot use insulin efficiently.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Guess what… protein increases insulin levels as well!!

Oh, and I'd like to see the full study. Not just the abstract :smile:

Same. I cannot comment based on an abstract written in 1985 without the full study. I want to see what they did to induce hyperinsulinemia and how they gaged the responses. I also want to know what controls were used etc.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

Your body does not say "Oh, well THIS sugar came from an APPLE, so I'm going to treat it differently than if it had come from a CANDY BAR".

It's still sugar. It still rots your teeth. It still stimulates the production of insulin.

Fruit these days is absolutely ridiculous and has been bred over years and years to be more packed with sugar and less packed with fiber.

The only outliers in this tend to be berries. They have sugar, but are still primarily fiber, and can be eaten in moderation. If you're worried about your vitamins and minerals, eat more non-starchy vegetables.

Fruits are mostly useless, and are a common trigger for people to over consume because they think "Oh, it's FRUIT! It must be healthy!". But your body goes "Oh, it's SUGAR! Give me more SUGAR!" and pretty soon you're craving any ol' sweet thing.

No. Just...no. You CANNOT compare the sugars in fruit with the sugars in Kit-Kats.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, really.

There is literally nothing in fruit that cannot be gained from vegetables, with less useless sugar.

I highly doubt these folks are following a targeted approach of consuming sugars/carbs 30 minutes before an intense lifting session or cardio session.

There is no other reason to consume that much sugar.

_ _ _ _

Our bodies are programmed to crave sugar after we ingest sugar. Because sugar actually used to be extremely rare, and was extremely valuable as a quick-burst fuel source for hundreds of thousands of years.

That cannot be said in modern times, and we continually seek to find "excuses" for "needing" sugary fruit.

So how is the no fruit eating going for you?

Eating protein triggers an insulin response too. But I would never go around telling people not to eat it. :ohwell:
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Yes, really.

There is literally nothing in fruit that cannot be gained from vegetables, with less useless sugar.

I highly doubt these folks are following a targeted approach of consuming sugars/carbs 30 minutes before an intense lifting session or cardio session.

_ _ _ _

Our bodies are programmed to crave sugar after we ingest sugar. Because sugar actually used to be extremely rare, and was extremely valuable as a quick-burst fuel source for hundreds of thousands of years.

That cannot be said in modern times, and we continually seek to find "excuses" for "needing" sugary fruit.

I think you should say "My body" "I continually seek" "I need sugary fruit" rather than thump it on everyone ... I don't crave for sugar or sugary fruit. This is so misleading.

Can you imagine, think for a minute, alien's from distant planet is on MFP Forum and reading this post - they now would start believing to lure "humans" feed them sugar.

Don't do that. You are putting everyone in danger.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

partially true. Correct in that your body doesn't know the difference between sugar in an apple and sugar in a candy bar, but that apple contains fiber, vitamins, other complex carbs, antioxidents and all things that are not in that candy bar.

Sugar in itself is not bad or harmful. In fact, I would suggest sugar for anyone enduring a long cardio workout to restore glycogen stores. The problem is your source. Such as in that chocolate bar which that is the only thing beneficial which is the sugar. When one is on a limited calorie diet, and you have to get the "most bang for your calories", then i would say turn to the apple instead of the candy bar. But if you have flexibility with your calories, the candy bar is fine in moderation.

Sugar is only evil if you have something like diabetis or some other abnormality.

Not brushing your teeth and not flossing rots your teeth.
    And what is wrong with insulin? You know it's the same when your body breaks down any complex carb? Chow on some good brown rice or brocoli. What do you think your body breaks the complex carbs down into? yesss... sugar. And insulin is vital in production of glycogen, reducing blood sugar and even has a role in muscle adaption.

The only outliers in this tend to be berries. They have sugar, but are still primarily fiber, and can be eaten in moderation. If you're worried about your vitamins and minerals, eat more non-starchy vegetables.

I have no idea how to even answer this. You are very misguided. You must work for the Potato Farmers of America.

Fruits are mostly useless, and are a common trigger for people to over consume because they think "Oh, it's FRUIT! It must be healthy!". But your body goes "Oh, it's SUGAR! Give me more SUGAR!" and pretty soon you're craving any ol' sweet thing.

I would same the same thing about people drinking orange juice or apple juice from a processed plant. But whole fruit? not the same. Tho, there should be a limit to the amount of fruit you eat, but not the thing you worry about when you first look at your diet.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Yes, really.

_ _ _ _

No, the human body is programmed to crave sugar because sugar is a vital nutrient for health. People over consuming food just means that over consumption is bad, not that food is bad. Sugar has never really been "extremely rare," it was always regularly available in many forms in all seasons (plenty of vegetables are very sugary, like potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and beets, for example.)
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I enjoy cooking with fruit to sweeten things. Like brown rice with apples and cinnamon. Or banana pancakes. or fruit in my salad. or 1/4 apple with almonds. I try to always eat it with protein and not alone. For me sugar does matter. I rarely eat a whole fruit by itself anymore. It seems to be helping me.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Yes, really.

_ _ _ _

I think you should say "My body" "I continually seek" "I need sugary fruit" rather than thump it on everyone ... I don't crave for sugar or sugary fruit. This is so misleading.

Can you imagine, think for a minute, alien's from distant planet is on MFP Forum and reading this post - they now would start believing to lure "humans" feed them sugar.

Don't do that. You are putting everyone in danger.
  • tigersword
    Options
    No it doesn't. Insulin drives glycogen production, shuttles nutrients (including glucose) into muscles and organs, and roughly 100 other regulatory functions. Fat storage is simply a matter of caloric surplus vs caloric deficit.
  • tigersword
    Options

No. Just...no. You CANNOT compare the sugars in fruit with the sugars in Kit-Kats.
    Sure you can. The sugar molecules in both are identical.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Please post evidence that eating fruit causes hyperinsulinemia, which is what that paper appears to be about. From wiki: "Hyperinsulinemia, or hyperinsulinaemia is a condition in which there are excess levels of insulin circulating in the blood than expected relative to the level of glucose. While it is often mistaken for diabetes or hyperglycaemia, hyperinsulinemia can result from a variety of metabolic diseases and conditions. While hyperinsulinemia is often seen in people with early stage type 2 diabetes mellitus, it is not the cause of the condition and is only one symptom of the disease. Type 2 diabetes only occurs when pancreatic beta-cell function is impaired. Hyperinsulinemia can be seen in a variety of conditions including diabetes mellitus type 2, in neonates and in drug induced hyperinsulinemia. It can also occur in congenital hyperinsulism, including nesidioblastosis."

That seems something different than a natural, useful, and temporary increase in insulin after eating various foods.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Yes, really.

_ _ _ _

Suger (sucrose) has a glycemic load of 68 and apple has a GL of 38 - so no, just no. Maltose (beer) has a highr GL than either and beer does not make me crave more sugar. Sugar in the form of fruit was only extremely rare when the only plants on the planet were ferns. For goodness sake - go take a walk outside - at this time of year everything has fruit and a good chunk of those are fit for human consumption.
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Since I move to North America, I am amazed at all the controversy about sugar...

Sugar is not necesarily bad for you. First it depends what type of sugar, because sugar is not sugar.

Glucose is a sugar and is a molecule easily absorbed by the body. Saccharose is a molecule a bit bigger but that can also be absorbed without too much trouble by the body.

The problem arise when you start dealing with more complexe sugar molecult, like lactose.

Fructose, like glucose is a monosaccharide sugar that is, like glucose, directly absorbed into the bloodstream.
    Element like high fructose corn syrup are though a problem. because it is not natural.

In the end, all sugar molecule that are too complex to be assimilated by the body will be broken down into glucose.

Doesn't hurt to know a bit of chemistry :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Yes, really.

_ _ _ _

Suger (sucrose) has a glycemic load of 68 and apple has a GL of 38 - so no, just no. Maltose (beer) has a highr GL than either and beer does not make me crave more sugar. Sugar in the form of fruit was only extremely rare when the only plants on the planet were ferns. For goodness sake - go take a walk outside - at this time of year everything has fruit and a good chunk of those are fit for human consumption.

Not counting the little carb/protein load at the base of most grasses.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In.

Just in.