Fruit = sugar ... arghh!!

Options

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    if you aren't diabetic or suffering with IBS or another condition, eat it and enjoy. it doesn't matter what a clerk says.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    In.

Just in.

Pepper your angus.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Nobody got fat by eating fruits.

Just sayin'
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    was in a trader joe's yesterday, and couldn't resist a few of the deals on fruit...got some cherries, some apricots, and some blueberries... at the counter I off had just noted, "wow, I got a lot of fruit"....the clerk, in response, said "a lot of sugar". This took me by surprise, but I just replied "oh, we're not going to start counting the sugar in fruit are we?" . She looked at me, and said dryly "YOU should" ( with an emphasis on the "You". Lol, she was a little overweight herself, and I am of course a bit over weight, but just WOW. I wanted to reply back that "it wasn't eating fruit that got you and me in this shape lady"

and that is still my thoughts...I actively try to get a few servings of fruit in my diet to keep me sane (plus...fruit!!). google doesn't solve this. even myfitnesspal counts the sugar as too high. so what I should just eat broccoli and chicken and water right? I guess that's what it means.

I would have went straight to her boss.

Agree!!! I would complain, no one has the right to say things like that to other people. And they might give you some vouchers as goodwill!! lol
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Just sayin'

I've never known anyone to live on fruit alone?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You know what else insulin does? Helps trigger storage of fat.

How's the job at Trader Joe's going?
  • Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Fruit contains fiber which offsets the effects of fructose (sugar), plus fruit is rather low calorie. Just don't go crazy and you should be fine.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I actually have to mindfully choose to eat fruit. I need the vitamins and carbs.

I run, I need carbs.

I also have a daily allotment of dark chocolate I have to work in. For the iron.

I love you. Can we marry?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Element like high fructose corn syrup are though a problem. because it is not natural.
    What do you mean by 'Natural' the make up of HFCS is actually not far off that of honey. Honey is 55% Fructose/45% Glucose whereas HFCS is 60%- 40% split so they are not that dissimilar. This strange idea of natural and non natural is just another woolly way to try and define something as bad or good.

So you either eat bee vomit or something developed in a lab? ;-)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't. Insulin drives glycogen production, shuttles nutrients (including glucose) into muscles and organs, and roughly 100 other regulatory functions. Fat storage is simply a matter of caloric surplus vs caloric deficit.

Correct. Fat is only produced after you have leftover glucose and your body can no longer use it for immediate energy and glycogen stores are at their full maximum. Then a different whole process takes over WAYYYYY after the insulin stage, a process that shuffles this glucose into your adipose to produce fat storage. That means it boils down to eating wayyyyy to many calories period. Fruit can do that. Candy bars can do that. Potatoes can do that. Even brown rice can do that. It depends what you ate and by how much the entire day and how much activity you gotten in.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    In.

Just in.

Pepper your angus.

tumblr_m5ettwgMD01qbggq1.gif
  • LazerMole
    LazerMole Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My extreme limiting of carbohydrates and sugar is going REALLY well for me, actually - thanks for asking.

My chronic acid reflux is gone. My insomnia is gone. My acne is gone. My hair and nails are stronger. My poor circulation is no longer a problem. I no longer want to take a nap halfway through the day.

Dietary sugar and carbs are not necessary for health. Your body can create the necessary blood glucose for bodily functions from dietary protein.

The human body would be a real piece of **** if it hadn't evolved a metabolic pathway for dealing with carbohydrate restriction. (Which, before agriculture, was about 85% of the year)
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Just sayin'

That's my point.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    No it doesn't. Insulin drives glycogen production, shuttles nutrients (including glucose) into muscles and organs, and roughly 100 other regulatory functions. Fat storage is simply a matter of caloric surplus vs caloric deficit.

Correct. Fat is only produced after you have leftover glucose and your body can no longer use it for immediate energy and glycogen stores are at their full maximum. Then a different whole process takes over WAYYYYY after the insulin stage, a process that shuffles this glucose into your adipose to produce fat storage. That means it boils down to eating wayyyyy to many calories period. Fruit can do that. Candy bars can do that. Potatoes can do that. Even brown rice can do that. It depends what you ate and by how much the entire day and how much activity you gotten in.

I don't know crap about biochem outside the respiration cycle, but I sure can kick off the argument on MFP!
  • likitisplit
    Options

Just sayin'

That's my point.

They also need the word of God.

And some protein.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

In a person with insulin resistance, insulin does cause fat storage.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    My extreme limiting of carbohydrates and sugar is going REALLY well for me, actually - thanks for asking.

My chronic acid reflux is gone. My insomnia is gone. My acne is gone. My hair and nails are stronger. My poor circulation is no longer a problem. I no longer want to take a nap halfway through the day.

Dietary sugar and carbs are not necessary for health. Your body can create the necessary blood glucose for bodily functions from dietary protein.

The human body would be a real piece of **** if it hadn't evolved a metabolic pathway for dealing with carbohydrate restriction.

Congratulations on your success!

Me too. I didn't limit any macros, but the running sure has helped with the rest of it.

Also being sure to get enough iron and (who knew) magnesium.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Mamma says "Sugar is the devil!"
    Sugar-Skull-Spoon-by-Hundred-Million-3-550x412.jpg
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I love how this post immediately followed this guy's post:
    4f86fea7ef7816d9491882ee70bbcd536561_thumb.jpg

Hey, SS...maybe lay off the fruit and you won't store so much fat.

:laugh:
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I think you should write a letter (yes a snail mail letter) to her manager. They will take it very, very seriously.

If you don't know her name, mention when you were there (date and time) and if you remember which isle, mention that too. Or describe her so they know who to reprimand.