Too much sugar and you won't lose weight even in defecit?

Replies

• Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    False.
  • I mean, if you want to eat your entire calories in cakes and sweets, then surely you're going to be hungry after you eat all of your calories for the day. Just doesn't seem like a good idea.
    [/quote]

I eat like that sometimes, and I don't get hungry. But I'm a special snowflake. (No seriously.)
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    I mean, if you want to eat your entire calories in cakes and sweets, then surely you're going to be hungry after you eat all of your calories for the day. Just doesn't seem like a good idea.

I eat like that sometimes, and I don't get hungry. But I'm a special snowflake. (No seriously.)
    no one is arguing eating all sweets or a twinke diet is a good idea, it's not, for many many reasons. The point is that as long as you eat in a deficit, no matter what you eat, you'll lose weight.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    In fact eat just sugar in a deficit for a month or so and you will probably lose more than if you were eating a balanced diet.

Deficit is the only way.

But CICO - for weight loss.

Macros and Micros - for health.
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    I honestly didn't think so.

Just wanted to make sure. Thank you.

Someday I won't have to ask such stupid questions! Haha

Do not fear the question!
  • AnswerzPwease
    AnswerzPwease Posts: 142 Member
    People claiming CICO is everything sound just as ignorant to me as someone saying bananas make you fat. Just because you lose weight that way doesn't mean it's true for everyone. I would not lose weight on a Twinkie diet. When insulin is present in the blood, fat burning can not happen. If a person has any insulin resistance or constantly snacks on sugar all day long, keeping insulin around, it's not as simple as CICO.
    wrong wrong wrong! Cico is based on the law of thermo dynamics. To say it doesn't work for you is like saying gravity doesn't work for you. Even if you ate twinkies only you would still have periods of the day where insulin wasn't elevated. The bottom line is this. If you eat only 2000 calories worth of twinkies and burn 2500 calories in the day, where does the body get the 500 it didn't get from food? Thin air? Plus even if you eat strictly low carb, protein can spike insulin just as strong!

So is this why IF works? Because it leaves more time for insulin to be low and you to burn fat?

And does this mean, that even though CICO works, that low carb will burn fat faster because insulin is low for most of the day?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    It might help you to think of CICO as the account you do at the end of the week, where a complete energy balance will work.

What happens in your body hourly is more to do with what you eat, circulating hormones, activity level, oxidation rates etc etc.

When considering CICO you don't know CO accurately, CO may be a function of CI and you may struggle to measure CI accurately.

If you oxidise more fat than you eat you'll lose weight, you have to go crazy on carb intake to make fat from carbs but eating the sugar will reduce fat oxidation and will also inhibit release of fat from storage, neither of which are a perfect match with the goal of losing weight.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    People claiming CICO is everything sound just as ignorant to me as someone saying bananas make you fat. Just because you lose weight that way doesn't mean it's true for everyone. I would not lose weight on a Twinkie diet. When insulin is present in the blood, fat burning can not happen. If a person has any insulin resistance or constantly snacks on sugar all day long, keeping insulin around, it's not as simple as CICO.
    wrong wrong wrong! Cico is based on the law of thermo dynamics. To say it doesn't work for you is like saying gravity doesn't work for you. Even if you ate twinkies only you would still have periods of the day where insulin wasn't elevated. The bottom line is this. If you eat only 2000 calories worth of twinkies and burn 2500 calories in the day, where does the body get the 500 it didn't get from food? Thin air? Plus even if you eat strictly low carb, protein can spike insulin just as strong!

So is this why IF works? Because it leaves more time for insulin to be low and you to burn fat?

And does this mean, that even though CICO works, that low carb will burn fat faster because insulin is low for most of the day?

IF works more as a personal preference. Insulin drops sufficiently during the night or in between meals. Total calories matter more than meal timing. There are literally dozens of articles on the subject. While meal timing does give some influence it won't matter much if you don't have the other ducks lined up. (Edit: IF can work better for some for a variety of reasons) But total cals consumed is your first focus.

You can lose on IF with an overall deficit. You can lose without IF and a deficit. But you can't lose on IF without a deficit.

Low carb weight loss has a lot more to do with glycogen associated water weight loss.

Long term, think about changes you can adhere to.

Edit: typo
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    but eating the sugar will reduce fat oxidation and will also inhibit release of fat from storage, neither of which are a perfect match with the goal of losing weight.
    This though is so negligible that the amount of sugar you'd have to eat to have any significant effect would be ridiculous
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    but eating the sugar will reduce fat oxidation and will also inhibit release of fat from storage, neither of which are a perfect match with the goal of losing weight.
    Throughout the day your body is burning and storing fat at the same time, the rate (or the one that "wins") is determined by if your in a deficit or a surplus. The metabolism is not a series of on and off switches, it is more like dimmer switches.
    ETA:
    Some people take the word "inhibit" to mean STOP. Inhibit =/= stop.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member

Do you have issues with insulin or insulin resistance? If not, don't worry about insulin. Seriously.

There are basically two reasons to do low carb. One is insulin resistance/metabolic issues. The other is diet adherence - some people just prefer to eat lower carb because higher fat and/or protein provide satiety, they naturally gravitate toward eating low carb, and/or it's just easier for them to stick to their diet if they cut out carbs.

I've seen some research posted on the boards comparing different macro settings and weight loss, and there does not seem to be a difference in weight loss between different macro settings. No particular macro ratio burns fat faster than another. Everyone has macro settings that work for them; you just need to find what works for you, your body, your lifestyle, your activity level, and your performance goals, because long-term adherence is what wins the game.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    back in the day, i had a couple friends who basically lived off candy bars, cookies, soda and chocolate milk in binges, but they were both active and didn't eat that much overall, and both of them were quite slim.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Just don't make eye contact with anyone while eating bananas and you will be ok.

OP try not to over think things when it comes to this. If you are eating your bananas and still losing just fine I really don't see the need to worry about it.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    LIES!

LIES I TELL YOU!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    It's not about sugar; it's about the carbs. A diet with too many carbs will make it very difficult for you to lose weight. There are three macronutrients: proteins, carbs, and fats. You want to keep these in balance. Myfitnesspal sets as default for your goal to be 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein. Do that and you'll do well.

The hardest part is making sure you get your protein all the way to 20% and making sure you don't go over 50% carbs. Look for foods that are high protein and low carb and that will help a lot. Bananas are all carbs (and moderately/high glycemic as well -- google glycemic weight loss index for a much deeper discussion of how different kinds of carbs -- e.g. breads, potatoes, veggies, fruits -- all can affect weight loss and blood sure differently) so that's why you'll hear some people have concerns about bananas. There's nothing inherently wrong with bananas at all; they just don't help you keep your carbs, fats, and proteins in balance. If you're eating them together with foods that include proteins and fats, though, they're fine.

Ok, this is what I mean.

You're saying if you eat too many carbs it will be hard to lose weight.... Even in a calorie defecit?

Very confusing.

So... you just believe anything that anybody says?

What do YOU think makes sense OP?
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    It's not about sugar; it's about the carbs. A diet with too many carbs will make it very difficult for you to lose weight. There are three macronutrients: proteins, carbs, and fats. You want to keep these in balance. Myfitnesspal sets as default for your goal to be 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein. Do that and you'll do well.

The hardest part is making sure you get your protein all the way to 20% and making sure you don't go over 50% carbs. Look for foods that are high protein and low carb and that will help a lot. Bananas are all carbs (and moderately/high glycemic as well -- google glycemic weight loss index for a much deeper discussion of how different kinds of carbs -- e.g. breads, potatoes, veggies, fruits -- all can affect weight loss and blood sure differently) so that's why you'll hear some people have concerns about bananas. There's nothing inherently wrong with bananas at all; they just don't help you keep your carbs, fats, and proteins in balance. If you're eating them together with foods that include proteins and fats, though, they're fine.

This is incorrect. Eat at a caloric defecit. You will lose weight, even if you only eat twinkies.

I went to look for a "like" button on this. Then I remembered I was in a forum, and not on Facebook.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Lies
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    I'm so beyond over this debate. People will defend what works for them into the ground. I'll stick with what my docs and nutritionists and bloodwork says.

Please answer this question

You are losing weight. How is this happening?

According to you ppl I'm starving myself
    according to your own self you felt this might be giving you an eating disorder.

Learn how to take a joke. I was referring to how all of you push all the BS like its the freakin holy grail

You still haven't answered my question as to what is happening in your body to lose weight.

I know what I think it is, but am interested in how you are thinking it's happening. I mean, it's your body, and weight loss isn't an easy thing to put it through. What's your line of thinking there?
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Just ask him, 'how he has come to that conclusion'? And see what **** he spouts!
  • AnswerzPwease
    AnswerzPwease Posts: 142 Member

Ok, this is what I mean.

You're saying if you eat too many carbs it will be hard to lose weight.... Even in a calorie defecit?

Very confusing.

So... you just believe anything that anybody says?

What do YOU think makes sense OP?

To me, it makes absolutely no sense and a calorie is a calorie.

But i've been wrong before - so I like to ask from those who are more experienced.