Too much sugar and you won't lose weight even in defecit?

12346»

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    If too much sugar prevented weight loss, I'd still be up 53 lbs. I eat a hilarious amount of sugar, both from ice cream and from fruit. Calorie deficit for weight loss
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    There are rules on re-feeding people who are starving. carbs, fats, and proteins not being equal. however, trying to lose weight is about calorie deficit. bananas are good for you.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    When you set-up your MFP profile, did the system display a message that you shouldn't eat bananas or you will gain weight even in a deficient because of the sugar? Did your doctor or any other medical professional ever advise you of such? People mean well but they don't always know the facts when making suggestions. When people start demonizing certain foods then it should be your clue to change the subject and seek answers elsewhere.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    It's not about sugar; it's about the carbs. A diet with too many carbs will make it very difficult for you to lose weight. There are three macronutrients: proteins, carbs, and fats. You want to keep these in balance. Myfitnesspal sets as default for your goal to be 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein. Do that and you'll do well.

The hardest part is making sure you get your protein all the way to 20% and making sure you don't go over 50% carbs. Look for foods that are high protein and low carb and that will help a lot. Bananas are all carbs (and moderately/high glycemic as well -- google glycemic weight loss index for a much deeper discussion of how different kinds of carbs -- e.g. breads, potatoes, veggies, fruits -- all can affect weight loss and blood sure differently) so that's why you'll hear some people have concerns about bananas. There's nothing inherently wrong with bananas at all; they just don't help you keep your carbs, fats, and proteins in balance. If you're eating them together with foods that include proteins and fats, though, they're fine.

Ok, this is what I mean.

You're saying if you eat too many carbs it will be hard to lose weight.... Even in a calorie defecit?

Very confusing.

OP you could honestly eat Lard every single day and as long as you are in a deficit you will still lose weight. I mean, I ate 2 fudge rounds for dinner last night and I was under. I lose weight consistently and still eat what I want. It's very simple. Calories in and Calories out.

Also you are cute :) Just thought I would let you know.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    People say that because bananas are high in carbs/sugar.

If you are doing low carb, you won't want to eat a couple bananas a day.

If you have medical conditions like diabetes, insulin resistance, etc., you won't want to eat bananas.

However, if you do not have those issues and stay under your daily caloric goal, you can eat a couple bananas a day and not gain weight.

It's all about calories in vs. calories out. As long as you are burning more calories than you are consuming, you will lose weight.

Even someone with an insulin resistance issue could eat bananas within reason. They have a moderate glycemic load at 16 (anything over GL 20 is considered high) per serving. So don't pop 3 of 'em into a blender to make yourself a smoothie and you're probably alright. lol

I have insulin resistance and when I eat bananas, my blood sugar spikes to 150 and drops to 40 within 45 minutes. This is the case with most individuals with IR. I've seen 4 dietitians who specialize in endocrine disorders and bananas are not included in any of the recommended diets.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    People claiming CICO is everything sound just as ignorant to me as someone saying bananas make you fat. Just because you lose weight that way doesn't mean it's true for everyone. I would not lose weight on a Twinkie diet. When insulin is present in the blood, fat burning can not happen. If a person has any insulin resistance or constantly snacks on sugar all day long, keeping insulin around, it's not as simple as CICO.
    wrong wrong wrong! Cico is based on the law of thermo dynamics. To say it doesn't work for you is like saying gravity doesn't work for you. Even if you ate twinkies only you would still have periods of the day where insulin wasn't elevated. The bottom line is this. If you eat only 2000 calories worth of twinkies and burn 2500 calories in the day, where does the body get the 500 it didn't get from food? Thin air? Plus even if you eat strictly low carb, protein can spike insulin just as strong!

Hey, everybody is different. I mean, I tried that whole gravity thing, but obviously MY body just doesn't work that way. Just yesterday I was walking around, like, 20 feet off the ground. I didn't fall! My husband tried to tell me that it's because I was on a bridge but, duh, if gravity is such an incontrovertible thing, why didn't the bridge fall? Huh?!? It's fine if gravity works for YOU, but don't go around insisting that it works for EVERYBODY. I'm LIVING PROOF that it's just not true!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    People claiming CICO is everything sound just as ignorant to me as someone saying bananas make you fat. Just because you lose weight that way doesn't mean it's true for everyone. I would not lose weight on a Twinkie diet. When insulin is present in the blood, fat burning can not happen. If a person has any insulin resistance or constantly snacks on sugar all day long, keeping insulin around, it's not as simple as CICO.
    wrong wrong wrong! Cico is based on the law of thermo dynamics. To say it doesn't work for you is like saying gravity doesn't work for you. Even if you ate twinkies only you would still have periods of the day where insulin wasn't elevated. The bottom line is this. If you eat only 2000 calories worth of twinkies and burn 2500 calories in the day, where does the body get the 500 it didn't get from food? Thin air? Plus even if you eat strictly low carb, protein can spike insulin just as strong!

Hey, everybody is different. I mean, I tried that whole gravity thing, but obviously MY body just doesn't work that way. Just yesterday I was walking around, like, 20 feet off the ground. I didn't fall! My husband tried to tell me that it's because I was on a bridge but, duh, if gravity is such an incontrovertible thing, why didn't the bridge fall? Huh?!? It's fine if gravity works for YOU, but don't go around insisting that it works for EVERYBODY. I'm LIVING PROOF that it's just not true!

:laugh: funny
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    It's not about sugar; it's about the carbs. A diet with too many carbs will make it very difficult for you to lose weight. There are three macronutrients: proteins, carbs, and fats. You want to keep these in balance. Myfitnesspal sets as default for your goal to be 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein. Do that and you'll do well.

The hardest part is making sure you get your protein all the way to 20% and making sure you don't go over 50% carbs. Look for foods that are high protein and low carb and that will help a lot. Bananas are all carbs (and moderately/high glycemic as well -- google glycemic weight loss index for a much deeper discussion of how different kinds of carbs -- e.g. breads, potatoes, veggies, fruits -- all can affect weight loss and blood sure differently) so that's why you'll hear some people have concerns about bananas. There's nothing inherently wrong with bananas at all; they just don't help you keep your carbs, fats, and proteins in balance. If you're eating them together with foods that include proteins and fats, though, they're fine.

Ok, this is what I mean.

You're saying if you eat too many carbs it will be hard to lose weight.... Even in a calorie defecit?

Very confusing.

So... you just believe anything that anybody says?

What do YOU think makes sense OP?

To me, it makes absolutely no sense and a calorie is a calorie.

But i've been wrong before - so I like to ask from those who are more experienced.
    Humans are incapable of photosynthesis and have no means to convert kinetic energy for use in the body, so our only means of consuming energy is in the form of food and the calories within food.

So long as you have more energy going out than you're eating, you're going to be at a net loss of energy, and as per science, will become smaller.