What to do with tuna

Options
Heliconia
Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
Hi, I'm looking for ideas as to what to do with water packed tuna - you know the tasteless low calorie choice. Other than combining with low cal mayo, does anyone have any good ideas as to how to make it taste good?

Replies

• JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    It's really good on top of raw spinach with garbanzo beans and some feta ~ yum!
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I have been making a "healthy" tuna melt......I use homemade bread (you could use any kind of bread you want), sharp cheddar, and tunafish (without the mayo). I cover the frying pan, so that the cheese melts more thoroughly. The tuna will stay in the sandwich because the cheese is gooey! YUM! :)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    add mustard instead of using only mayo in the mix. Chop up (fine) celery, onions, olives, bell peppers, whatever you like to give it a more interesting flavor.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I personally love tuna in water. You do know though, that packed in oil its only like 10 cals more perserving, right?

I mix tuna with various vinegars- red wine and white balsamic are my faves. I also like it mixed up with pickles on sandwiches.

Also with baby spinach its pretty tasty in a salad. For pasta you can toss it with tomatos(or really any veggie of your choice) and olive oil.
  • Dreamgirl97
    Dreamgirl97 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I can read later. :love:
  • nannysnowflake
    Options
    I've made this before:
    Chop up a tomato and saute it with a little bit of garlic (and perhaps some chopped onion or other veggies) in a skillet with a little olive oil. Let the tomatoes get nice and soft. Add a little fat-free italian dressing while it is sautéing for a little bit of flavor. RIght at the end, add the can of tuna (drained) and mix together.

Throw this over some whole-wheat pasta and top with a light sprinkle of parmesan. Yum!

When I have cooked this, I found that the tuna loses most of the fishy flavor and picks up more of the other flavors instead.
  • thenebean9
    Options
    I mix tuna with a little tiny bit of lite mayo, onions, celery, 2% cheddar cheese, salt and pepper, spread some atop a piece of bread like a whole wheat baguette, top with a little more cheese and bake. It's like an open face crusty cheesy tuna melt!! :D feel free to add turkey bacon or capers or any other of your favorite tuna mix-ins!
  • KPaden1221
    Options
    THROW IT ALL AWAY!! Just kidding, but i HATE TUNA!... but I saw a recipe that looked pretty dang good.. so i made it with deli mean.. once with turkey and once with chicken... but it called for tuna

whole wheat pita
    tuna salad (mayo (or greek yogurt) mustard, pickles however you like it)
    sliced sharp cheddar cheese (the good kind from the deli)
    apple slices (granny smith sour ones)
    red onion
    and spinach

i made my with sliced chicken (like deli meat) and lunch meat turkey and used green yogurt as "mayo"

it was DELISH!!!
  • AdventureVia
    AdventureVia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Tuna patties are where it's at. I don't have any clue what their calorie count is but here's what I do and it is delicious.

Open and drain several cans of tuna, empty tuna into mixing bowl.
    Open a pack of saltines and start crushing them over the tuna and mixing them in.
    Add an egg or two depending on how much tuna/crackers you are making.
    Eventually you get this mixture that you can form into balls, this is what you're looking for

Now heat up a non-stick pan and spray it with some no stick spray.
    Form a couple tuna patties and toss them in, browning them on each side.

These things are super delicious solo or with some peach mango salsa. I usually make quite a few all at once and toss the rest in the fridge. They reheat pretty well!
  • izzys1mom
    Options
    bump * all of these sound yummy....
  • Heliconia
    Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    They do! Thanks so much guys.
  • mcrawley22
    Options
    mix tuna with plain yogurt, dijon mustard and dill and eat as a sandwich on rye bread or in a wrap. very good. I'm not a huge tuna fan but it is low cal so i do try eat it for lunches here and there. sometimes i even dice up a baby pickle and put that in there :)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Tuna is my awesome fast easy lunch daily at work (so I eat it 5x a week which is probably too much mercury-wise but well..... I have no defense there)

I just eat 1/2 a can with 1 cup of frozen veggies (I keep them separate until lunch so that I can microwave the veggies) and a bit of hot sauce. Love it!

The Great Value Walmart mixed veggies are the lowest cals and cheapest at $1.97 cdn. No Name has 20 more calories and is .25 cents more. I basically have a 40 cent lunch daily, not b/c of cost b/c of taste but I just figured that out now, wow that’s super cheap!
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    whole wheat pita
    tuna salad (mayo (or greek yogurt) mustard, pickles however you like it)
    sliced sharp cheddar cheese (the good kind from the deli)
    apple slices (granny smith sour ones)
    red onion
    and spinach

Ok I'm totally trying this! I buy miracle whip once a year b/c I get the idea to make some new recipe and I go through less than 4tbsp by the time it expires. It really sucks they don't sell it in smaller jars (even the smallest and lowest cal 'dressing' jars 15cals are too big). I love granny smith apples and always have them around so this works perfect. All except the cheese though, HATE CHEESE! We are an anti-cheese household, lol! ;)

I assume you should process all of the above together right? Guess that gives me an excuse to finally bring out the $500 food processor I got for my wedding 1 year ago, lol!

Speaking of that 1 recipie I make before the miracle whip goes bad I have a photo of that and will post it now...
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    Tuna Salad Appetizers

1 can Clover light tuna in water
    ¼ cup chopped celery
    ¼ cup chopped red or while onion
    ¼ cup broccoli florets
    2 tbsp Miracle Whip Non-Fat Dressing (green label, 15cals per tbsp)
    1 tsp balsamic vinegar
    16 spinach leaves
    Fresh ground pepper

Directions: Drain tuna. Mix all ingredients together and spoon onto freshly washed spinach leaves. Makes
    approximately 16.

WW Points: 0

* If you eat all 16 its 3 WW points or if you use the more commonly found Miracle Whip Light 30 cal per
    tbsp its 4 WW point for all 16.

Here’s the photo I took

Picture157.jpg
  • nannysnowflake
    Options
    that tuna salad appetizer looks and sounds yummy... thanks for the pic!
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    Tuna patties are where it's at. I don't have any clue what their calorie count is but here's what I do and it is delicious.

Open and drain several cans of tuna, empty tuna into mixing bowl.
    Open a pack of saltines and start crushing them over the tuna and mixing them in.
    Add an egg or two depending on how much tuna/crackers you are making.
    Eventually you get this mixture that you can form into balls, this is what you're looking for

Now heat up a non-stick pan and spray it with some no stick spray.
    Form a couple tuna patties and toss them in, browning them on each side.

These things are super delicious solo or with some peach mango salsa. I usually make quite a few all at once and toss the rest in the fridge. They reheat pretty well!

This sounds so delicious!! I want to try making this now *u*
  • GunNut37086
    GunNut37086 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Mmm...all these sound REALLY good.

I really love tuna. Too bad the tastiest way to eat it almost always includes added fats (mayo, cheese, eggs, etc.).

A friend told me an old bodybuilder trick is to add lemon juice, sanlt, and pepper to egg whites and mix it into the tuna in place of the mayo. Anyone heard of this or tried it?
  • Firesign
    Firesign Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    BUMP BUMP YUMMY
  • mcrawley22
    Options
    Tuna Salad Appetizers

1 can Clover light tuna in water
    ¼ cup chopped celery
    ¼ cup chopped red or while onion
    ¼ cup broccoli florets
    2 tbsp Miracle Whip Non-Fat Dressing (green label, 15cals per tbsp)
    1 tsp balsamic vinegar
    16 spinach leaves
    Fresh ground pepper

Directions: Drain tuna. Mix all ingredients together and spoon onto freshly washed spinach leaves. Makes
    approximately 16.

WW Points: 0

* If you eat all 16 its 3 WW points or if you use the more commonly found Miracle Whip Light 30 cal per
    tbsp its 4 WW point for all 16.

Here’s the photo I took

Picture157.jpg

this actually looks really good! thanks!!