What to do with tuna

Options

Replies

• kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm looking for ideas as to what to do with water packed tuna - you know the tasteless low calorie choice. Other than combining with low cal mayo, does anyone have any good ideas as to how to make it taste good?

I like to toss in a dash of garlic and cumin. Sometimes cyan pepper as well. Also live to toss in diced celery to give it some crunch and sometimes diced radish as well. I never use mayo. You could also put some lemon and lime juice in while cooking it then toss it in a taco shell :)
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Bombay tuna salad

1-6oz can water packed chunk white tuna drained
    1/4 c f-f mayo
    1celery stalk, thinly sliced
    2 tbsp minced red onion
    2 tbsp sliced almonds
    2 tbsp golden raisins
    2 tsp curry powder
    2 tbp lemon juice
    1/4 tsp salt mix together and serve on a bed of lettuce
  • jrogersj
    jrogersj Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    How do you bump stuff? And what exactly does that mean? Because I see recipes I want to try, then I lose them! Does bumping them save them?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    yes exactly. By typing any response, you have just added this thread to your "my topics" tab. So when people don''t have anything to say that they want to add to the conversation, but they want to be easily able to retrieve the thread, they just say "bump" . It also makes the thread appear on the main page so it gets more attention.
  • nilisabel
    Options
    I like to make tuna noodle casserole - the lower fat, lower calorie version. It's my favorite. I'm wordy, the recipe's a snap.

- 16 oz canned tuna (I like it very tuna-y. check with your doctor for recommended daily/weekly allowance of tuna regarding mercury levels. personally i'm not concerned, but i'm me, not you)
    - half a package of farfalle (bow-tie) noodles or corkscrew noodles. any kind you like but must not be the long strands (no spaghetti or linguini)
    - 2 10.75 oz cans 98% ff cream of mushroom soup (f you can't find this size, which I think is the common size, just make up the difference in nonfat milk). I like the sharpness of the condensed soup but if you want to dilute it with nonfat milk as a matter of taste I know some people like it like that too.
    - 1 cup (8 oz) canned mushrooms, 1/2 cup frozen peas
    - 2 egg whites or 1 egg or equivalent egg-beaters ff egg substitute
    - 1 cup shredded lowfat mozzarella or cheddar cheese. whatever you like but just lower fat!
    - fat free baking spray
    -1 9x13 baking pan

Some people are gifted cooks. I am not so I do this in two parts.

1) cook the noodles al dente. drain, run water over them to cool. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350. Spray the pan.
    2) In a big bowl beat the eggs, then add both cans of soup (and milk if you choose). Mix well. Drain the can of tuna and add it to the mix. If you have lots of tuna, feel free to add more tuna and just use less noodles! Add the mushrooms. Add 1/2 the cheese. Then add the noodles that you cooked (make sure the noodles are cooled or you will get scrambled eggs and gooey cheese). Mix the whole mess together. Lastly add the frozen peas You do not need to defrost the peas. I think they taste better when you add 'em frozen so they don't overcook and stay plump, also they are easier not to smush while incorporating. Anyway, after it's all mixed together, plop it in the baking dish and cover with the last half cup of cheese.

Cover it with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for about half an hour or until bubbly. Then take the aluminum foil off and let it broil for like 5 minutes to get the cheese golden/crusty on top.

This is my favorite comfort food. Makes 6 portions.

Breakdown by serving (for my version - light tuna packed in water, all mushroom soup, no milk, 1 whole egg, an entire cup of canned mushrooms, 1 cup reduced fat sargento mexican cheese blend):

305 calories
    12g fat
    2.4g fiber
    lots a protein.
    7 ww points
  • MRWALL
    MRWALL Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I like it with Miracle Whip and pomegranate.
  • timwitkowski
    Options
    Tuna in oil is more like 100 calories more than a serving in water.
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I cut up green olives with pimentos and put that in with the low-cal mayo. Sometimes hot dog relish too. :happy:
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Tuna patties are where it's at.

I hate Tuna but I tried these Tuna Patty's 2x days ago (Thor's man wanted tuna... hehe... insert joke here...) and they were really good and filling and it didn't even have that horrid tuna stinch.

I substituted regular mustard for honey dijon, regular onion for green onion, and sandwich buns for wheat bread. It was super affordable and delish!
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I mix one can of 50% less sodium water-packed tuna with one boiled egg (chopped up small), two tablespoons of Mayo with Olive Oil (reduced fat), and one wedge of Laughing Cow cheese (my favorite flavor is the Mozzarella with sun-dried tomato and basil).....then I use half of the mixture on two slices of whole wheat bread for an AWESOME sandwich! If I remember correctly, it comes out to 148 calories per serving of tuna salad (doesn't include the bread). Delicious lunch! :)
  • reesepieces
    reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Bump...
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    my grandson is allergic to eggs, so he can't have the traditional tuna salad - but I made it for him using Ranch fat free dressing - it was delicious. Also, when my kids were little, we would drain tuna, put it on open buns, put cheddar cheese on top, pop it in the oven to melt the cheese - very yummy.
  • Amboo
    Amboo Posts: 30
    Options
    bump
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    I made a simple pizza with a egg pancake crepe skin (idk how to say it in English) as the skin. You can use just a tortilla though! Toast the tortilla for a bit to make it crispy
    Put a can of tuna spread out on it and any veggies you want
    Put some low mozzerella cheese on it
    Toast to heat and melt the cheese

Very yummy! I don't like tuna and tomato sauce, so I did not put any sauce on :smile:
  • jbqueen
    jbqueen Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kianaik
    kianaik Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've made this before:
    Chop up a tomato and saute it with a little bit of garlic (and perhaps some chopped onion or other veggies) in a skillet with a little olive oil. Let the tomatoes get nice and soft. Add a little fat-free italian dressing while it is sautéing for a little bit of flavor. RIght at the end, add the can of tuna (drained) and mix together.

Throw this over some whole-wheat pasta and top with a light sprinkle of parmesan. Yum!

When I have cooked this, I found that the tuna loses most of the fishy flavor and picks up more of the other flavors instead.

I tried this today and it was great! Thanks for sharing.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options

Ok I'm totally trying this! I buy miracle whip once a year b/c I get the idea to make some new recipe and I go through less than 4tbsp by the time it expires. It really sucks they don't sell it in smaller jars (even the smallest and lowest cal 'dressing' jars 15cals are too big). I love granny smith apples and always have them around so this works perfect. All except the cheese though, HATE CHEESE! We are an anti-cheese household, lol! ;)

Why don't you just take a couple of mayo/miracle whip packets from your store's deli when you're shopping? Even if the store were to make you pay for them, it'd only be 30 cents or so, probably. While expensive to buy like that individually, still cheaper than a couple of bucks a jar, that you then throw away.