What to do with tuna

Options

Replies

• debruhf
    debruhf Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    ok....I might add that this takes a little work, but for me it SOOOOO worth it!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I love adding tuna to multigrain pasta and homemade alfredo sauce (just mix together a couple different cheeses - cream cheese, parmesan, any shredded cheese that melts easily, butter or margarine, garlic). Add some veggies for extra fiber, yUM!
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I love making a tuna pasta salad with regular or whole wheat pasta, tuna, celery and light ranch dressing. The ranch gives it such a good flavor and is healther than mayo!
  • addie807
    Options
    My sister likes to mix Tuna with a bit of mayo and relish. It's actually very good. I've had it. Give it a try.
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    bump
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Bump! great recipes!
  • Shawnarose
    Shawnarose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Need to Bump this one - thanks for the ideas!
  • vulcangrrl
    Options
    I absolutely ADORE water-packed tuna, in many ways.
    My favourite way is probably to mix with a tablespoon or two of hot and spicy hummus (I found an AWESOME brand that is 24 cals per tbsp), and have on a salad, or in a pita with salad. Mixing with balsamic vinegar and dijon mustard, or lemon juice and LOTS of black pepper is equally tasty.

A quick and easy weeknight dinner is to sweat onions & garlic in water (or oil), add in a can of tomatoes, tuna, anchovies and some olives. Simmer until warm, serve over pasta/rice/in a baked potato/whatever you like!

If you really crave fats with tuna, mixing in half an avocado is delicious (high calorie, but personally I'd rather have calories from avo than mayo!)
  • SavannaN
    SavannaN Posts: 148
    Options
    bump :) thanks guys and gals...lol
  • Heidi_015
    Options
    bump
  • karo224
    karo224 Posts: 292
    Options
    thanks for the wonderful recipes....i love tuna and have not had it since starting my journey because the only way i have ever had it was with all the fat and calories of mayo....and i [of course ] hate the fat free mayo!
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    lemon juice and cracked pepper. mix in some tabouleh, cucumber, tomato lettuce and cheese. either on a wrap or just as a salad.

i personally prefer the pre flavoured one with lemon and cracked pepper. i dont drain it, i use the liquid as a salad dressing.
  • ValMae
    ValMae Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Tastes great with lemon juice and chopped up celery, red onion, pickles, salt, and pepper! Just like you would with mayo but with lemon juice instead. So low cal and tastes great...isn't dry either.
  • nuimproved
    nuimproved Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like to add a little low cal/low fat Italian salad dressing, chopped red onion and red pepper to a can of water packed tuna--it's good on crackers or in a sandwich!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Love these ideas! Bump.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i like tuna with pasta

saute some onions with some garlic and mixed dried herbs in olive oil/spray until onions are soft. add in mixed peppers, carrots add a can of chopped tomatoes andand bring to boil then cook on medium for about 15/20 mins. add tuna in and cook for another 5 mins and serve with pasta!

u can omit the veg if u like and just have it as a tomato sauce. the veg bulks it up for me and is low cal.
  • auntpage
    auntpage Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i make a great tuna sandwich with iceberg lettuces shredded in it for a crunch
  • auntpage
    auntpage Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i make a great tuna sandwich with iceberg lettuces shredded in it for a crunch
  • doramc
    doramc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    bump