Juice fast

Options

Replies

• juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Just my $0.02, but as a male, isn't 1400-1500 kind of low? I'm set to eat 1700, and I'm female.

FWIW, I mean...

No wonder you feel like you're abusing the calories.....You're prolly hangry as hell, too, as well as beating yourself up for being unable to successfully eat what may well be too few calories...

But you're gonna do what you want to do, in spite of what responses you get.

Best of luck...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Juice cleaned will always have haters..

I've always wanted to try one ever since I watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead on netflix. Congrats to you! I hope it makes transitioning to a diet which allows you to live a healthy lifestyle easier

I hope to tackle a one week juice fast as well, but first I need the money to buy a juicer.
    You know, this term "haters" is immature because it's used against anybody who says the truth about anything on here. Since you brought this up, aren't you a "hater" of people who tell the truth about vLCD consisting of juicking?

Seriously, there is nothing innately wrong with juicing. In fact, homemade juice is delicious, it's great as a snack or with a meal, and people do fast in different ways for religious and spiritual reasons, but when juicing is used as a weight loss method, you are setting yourself up for failure. Why? Because you are using a VLCD in hopes of getting fast results that will last, which is the reason for yo yo dieting and people being unable to keep their weight off. And, I speak from years of experience on this.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    (snip) The stomach gets used to being filled up, so on fast day it would shrink a little bit, making the next day that much easier.(snipped)

Is that a theory of yours or do you have some medical science to back up the idea of stomach shrinking happening as a result of a liquid diet?

Might be a "theory of yours...." but it's TOTAL BS, yet another in the long litany of MYTHS that constantly get repeated on this (and most other weight loss Forums.

There is NO "science" (as you obviously know), BUT that NEVER STOPS the legion of self-proclaimed "experts" from repeating the "dogma". Short of surgery, there is NO medical evidence, no controlled clinical studies that validate the MYTH that the "stomach shrinks". ("appetite" or degree of satiety may decline but that is for entirely different reasons than "my stomach shrank".)

Years ago there was an excuse.....actually "learning" what the "facts" are, required a trip to the library and a modicum of effort.

Today, with almost universal access to the googlemachine (or others)....there is simply no excuse but that never stops the ideologues (regardless of what "issue" they pontificate on.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    (snip) The stomach gets used to being filled up, so on fast day it would shrink a little bit, making the next day that much easier.(snipped)

Is that a theory of yours or do you have some medical science to back up the idea of stomach shrinking happening as a result of a liquid diet?

Might be a "theory of yours...." but it's TOTAL BS, yet another in the long litany of MYTHS that constantly get repeated on this (and most other weight loss Forums.

There is NO "science" (as you obviously know), BUT that NEVER STOPS the legion of self-proclaimed "experts" from repeating the "dogma". Short of surgery, there is NO medical evidence, no controlled clinical studies that validate the MYTH that the "stomach shrinks". ("appetite" or degree of satiety may decline but that is for entirely different reasons than "my stomach shrank".)

Years ago there was an excuse.....actually "learning" what the "facts" are, required a trip to the library and a modicum of effort.

Today, with almost universal access to the googlemachine (or others)....there is simply no excuse but that never stops the ideologues (regardless of what "issue" they pontificate on.

They did a pressure nanometric measurements in volunteers who agreed to swallow what were essentially small balloons. They found, to their surprise, that the EFFECTIVE volume of the stomach did fall after fasting over a period of time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/22/health/22real.html?_r=0

If you ingest enough liquids, however, this may or may not be a factor. The advantage of liquids is that the stomach sends off "full" signals to the brain, which handles them usually by blunting the feeding response. A big difference from a calorie standpoint if the stomach is full of water or ice cream!!

The stomach is seeming to become more and more important in the obesity equation.

In fact, the stomach has over 100 million neurons in it, comparable to the number of neurons in the spinal cord!!!

Huge ramifications there.

The key, as I post again and again, is to avoid slamming your stomach with huge amounts of food. Or at least, that's a start.

Dr. Hagan has it right..."Breakfast: The Least Important Meal of the Day"

^regardless you can have your stomach shrink just from surgery? Doesn't mean it is healthy or a good thing to do - MFP is for sustainable change VLCDs - and I do fast occasionally myself - are not healthy long term, and I only do them if I have something coming up I need my abs to pop for - I know my head will be a wreck, my body will not feel as able, and I'm not going to sleep as well.

^VLCDs are dumb for serious weight loss - just get your tush on a caloric deficit and eat clean if you can.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    Not sure what VLCDs are.

Big difference from the the effective volume of the stomach shrinking due eating smaller-volume meals and stomach surgery.

Exposed to the same amount of crap, the stomach will sure expand to accommodate the load- over time.

I am not an expert on stomach surgery nor do I want to be.

If you have surgery, you are admitting defeat and give the impression that surgery was your only option.

That is not psychologically healthy and sets a bad example for others.

Hagan's group fasted during the morning without restrictions in the afternoon. After a few days, the participants found that they COULDN'T eat as much as they did before. Even a simple partial day water fast- kept up consistently- was enough to normalize the size of the stomach.

^I agree - I went on an apple/laxative fast myself and had my stomach shrink.

was it healthy?
    -no

did I get results?
    -yes

was it sustainable?
    -no

fast work for short term thinking - but for long term winning you got to eat at a deficit, and exercise regularly for weight loss - and I recommend HIIT to boot.

jelly of your glasses - they look sharp btw - thought you were a Dr. for a post or two. :wink:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    QOr5qDQ.jpg
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    QOr5qDQ.jpg

nose in the books
  • Emeryeon
    Emeryeon Posts: 61
    Options
    why is everyone being negative
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options

Was that a question ? Or a statement !
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Some people are posting science.

People who don't like science equate it to negative.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I like red juices more than green ones.

Be careful. I heard from Dr. Oz that red juice makes you fat. :wink:
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    So then you drink a glass of milk and eat a piece of bread gain back the 11 pounds overnight, plus another 10. Nothing new about this.
  • Emeryeon
    Options

idk i guess a statement maybe
    all they were saying was that they were going on a juice fast so, its no one elses life but theirs so its not like it matters. I dont get why everyone has an attitude.
  • Emeryeon
    Options

lmao kk
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

all they were saying was that they were going on a juice fast so, its no one elses life but theirs so its not like it matters. I dont get why everyone has an attitude.

Once again.....

• Emeryeon
    Options

Stick around and you'll figure it out.
    lmao
    no.
  • Emeryeon
    Options

Once again.....

kk