LADIES: Skipping exercise for that time of the month?

Options

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I used to all the time. Then I got a copper IUD. :indifferent: Now it just depends on what's going on down there. Sometimes it's so painful I can't manage to do much. I at least try to do some light cardio if possible.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Do you skip out on life for that 3-7 days a month?
  • fittyinthemaking
    fittyinthemaking Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    when i have heavy periods its impossible for me to move much because its soo heavy it would leak all over! i don't have problem with losing weight though during my period, sometimes i go up a few pounds when i'm due on but it goes back down afterwards, i don't think you need to worry about it, don't do something you aren't comfortable with.
  • crempel83
    crempel83 Posts: 9
    Options
    I too suffer from really bad cramps and I say listen to your body, if you tired and in pain and don't feel like it, then just stay in bed and relax and give your body a break. There is no way in hell I would exercise when they were at their worst. Also, do you tried taking an epsom salt bath? You need like 2 cups of the stuff in there and a good long soak - since I've started doing that my cramps have been a lot better.
  • TminusFitnessN321
    TminusFitnessN321 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Nah, just watch your calories more during that time, but don't get frustrated if you gain a little... You know how cycles make your body do funny things.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Just do what you can. Sometimes I'll just take a walk around my neighborhood after downing a Midol because I don't feel good but I know I should at least get some sunshine.

Sometimes I don't exercise for like 3 days straight during my period! I don't push myself to do anything unrealistic that I won't be able to keep up, because just like food intake, if you over do it and it's not sustainable your weight loss won't be either.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Do you skip out on life for that 3-7 days a month?

Yes, actually, I have had to skip out on life more frequently between the ages of 12-28, and less frequently now that I have the copper IUD! :)

Everybodys body is different.
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I feel you. Again, to avoid TMI, I have a similar description of my monthly. I, too, get worse - to the point of sometimes vomiting - during exercise. Exercise increases my bleeding and makes me fully ill. Luckily, this lasts 3-4 days at most. I usually just skip. I don't skimp on food, though, because as a PP mentioned, the caloric intake is based on your baseline activity level so it is just right. I also find that bulking up on high-iron and high fiber foods helps alleviate some of my discomfort.
    Work within your personal comfort, but don't pamper yourself too much. If you are truly out to make life changes for your weight & your health, then the system has to work for YOUR life.
    Oh, and congrats on your walk. Maybe you found your period exercise!
  • poetgirl115
    poetgirl115 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you're exhausted and honestly don't want to, don't. I personally do exercise during my TOM, simply because movement relieves cramps, promotes blood flow, and it helps keep my flow less heavy. But simply because you skip a week doesn't mean you're still not on point. Just don't binge! For example, I usually burn anywhere from 500-700 calories 6 days a week exercising, but today I"m not going to exercise at all because my knee is in pain. Do what works for you. Everyone is different. Every TOM is different. If you want to go for a run, do it! If you'd rather hibernate in sweatpants with a Downton Abbey marathon, more power to you! :drinker:
  • Keshondra954
    Options
    I workout through mines and I feel great afterwards. I just walk on the treadmill
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Nvm... It ain't worth it.
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    If you're exhausted and honestly don't want to, don't. I personally do exercise during my TOM, simply because movement relieves cramps, promotes blood flow, and it helps keep my flow less heavy. But simply because you skip a week doesn't mean you're still not on point. Just don't binge! For example, I usually burn anywhere from 500-700 calories 6 days a week exercising, but today I"m not going to exercise at all because my knee is in pain. Do what works for you. Everyone is different. Every TOM is different. If you want to go for a run, do it! If you'd rather hibernate in sweatpants with a Downton Abbey marathon, more power to you! :drinker:

Agree with this! For me, exercise seems to help and I can do my usual routine most months. Plus once I had a half marathon during TOM which I'd trained for and wanted to run!
    However, I do occasionally get a killer month when all I can do is whimper and pop ibuprofen like smarties! My appetite is usually lower during so I don't miss the exercise calories.
  • cherrilovee
    cherrilovee Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I usually only skip the first day because the cramps are THAT bad. But, other days I'm fine. Even if you're in pain, just take an ibuprofen before exercising, you should be fine. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
  • combatbunny
    combatbunny Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I get some pretty awful cramps, so I usually go swimming to relax things.
  • jjeanmneis
    jjeanmneis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've always found that exercise makes my period pain better and gives me more energy. Only some exercises help though; with sit-ups or riding a stationary bike being my favourite. It might be worth trying a few things out to see if you feel better. If you really do feel awful then just skip it - it's better that you don't associate exercise with feeling bad!

I agree - exercise does help, but you don't have to over due it. Just keep moving even if it's just walking to keep you going
  • jjeanmneis
    Options
    I get some pretty awful cramps, so I usually go swimming to relax things.

Swimming is always a great idea
  • Paraskevi78
    Paraskevi78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Don't get too stressed if you cannot exercise for a few days! Everyone's body is different and people deal with period pain differently.
    I haven't exercised for 3 weeks because of minor surgery but stuck to my 1,200 calorie daily goal and still managed to lose just over 4 lb's.
  • jjeanmneis
    Options
    Geez, how did women in centuries past do it? I can't imagine a 19th century farm wife taking the day off from mending clothes, feeding seven kids, hanging the laundry, scrubbing the floors, and shucking corn just because she got her period.

A womens just got to do what she's got to do when there is work to be done. However, I have found that having a kid actually helped with my over all cramping/PMS - 7 and I'd be done. It worries me that so many women on here are doubling over - for days at a time. I recommend seeing a OB/GYN to make sure there isn't a more serious problem going on.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    When I got to university, I joined a rowing team. Prior to joining- I had horrible cramps. I stayed home and spent the day throwing up and crying and trying to sleep the pain off. After I joined rowing- the cramps went away. I'm not certain, but I heard physical activity helps to get rid of terrible period pain. I have not had cramps in a very long time now.
    I'd say maybe not this one or the next - but if you keep up with the physical training- I'm guessing the bad periods will ease up and go away.
  • summer92008
    summer92008 Posts: 202
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I don't know why a few people felt the extreme need to be bit**y? Maybe it is their time of the month. But, for those who imagine that I must be some lazy bum wanting attention because I'm bleeding, I only worked out the 1st day of my period - Wednesday - and couldn't since then, not because of my period, but because my father has been sick. No need to go into all of his medical problems. But, like always, I've stuck my deficit and ate like any other day and have managed to drop 2 more pounds. So, ha, this lazy bum just wanting attention is still on her weight loss track.