3 Lifts for the rest of your life

Options

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Bench press, squats, deadlifts

Non-lifting? Push ups, sit ups, sprints.

These. These are perfect.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Squats, Rows, and...flower pot deadlifting.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    Face lift, breast lift, and butt lift. All for my wife when she gets old.
    hahaha love it
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Burpees, pushups, overhead press.

oooh I like your choices

(I have a love hate relationship with the burpee)

NOONE is choosing plank (interesting)

A pushup is a plank.

ehhhhhhhhh ... I would probably debate that .. at least a little. I mean one's an actual movement- one's static.

^I'd debate that because I alternate feet while in plank.. i didn't know anyone just holds it...
    I mean lifting feet is a variation but doesn't make it anything more than a static hold- and not a push up.

Lots of people static hold- a plank is pose- like yoga- but people hold it for minutes- or seconds- whatever- some people train it for long periods of time- some people train it and then move on to another variation.

But a variation is a variation- and I could very easily see a case to be made for a push up as an extreme variation of a plank- but I don't think I would say a plank is a push up or a push up is a plank.

• DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells:

Snatches
    Swings
    Clean and press

Sorted.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

oooh I like your choices

A pushup is a plank.

ehhhhhhhhh ... I would probably debate that .. at least a little. I mean one's an actual movement- one's static.

^I'd debate that because I alternate feet while in plank.. i didn't know anyone just holds it...
    I mean lifting feet is a variation but doesn't make it anything more than a static hold- and not a push up.

Lots of people static hold- a plank is pose- like yoga- but people hold it for minutes- or seconds- whatever- some people train it for long periods of time- some people train it and then move on to another variation.

But a variation is a variation- and I could very easily see a case to be made for a push up as an extreme variation of a plank- but I don't think I would say a plank is a push up or a push up is a plank.

More accurately, I'd say they were variations on the same move. Let's say that there's a proto pushup. Incline push-ups, modified push-up, standard push-ups and planks are all variations of this proto push-up working extremely similar muscle sets.

Sort of like a plyometric pistol squat is very different than the pistol squat, but seen as within the same movement family.

Yeah, that's how I'd put it. Push-ups and planks are in the same movement family and are related to the Bench-press?
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

oooh I like your choices

A pushup is a plank.

what do you mean by alternate feet? when i do them im essentially in pushup position but on my elbows instead of hands

I just put one foot as high in the air about where your waist would be if you were standing, then lower it and swap that for the other foot... gets my mind off the pain of the plank while it actually works it even more.

@JoRocka: your right a variation is just a variation :flowerforyou: and for sake of clarity you are right it is static.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

I just put one foot as high in the air about where your waist would be if you were standing, then lower it and swap that for the other foot... gets my mind off the pain of the plank while it actually works it even more.

@JoRocka: your right a variation is just a variation :flowerforyou: and for sake of clarity you are right it is static.
    cool beans. ima try it tonight
  • JoRocka
    Options

oooh I like your choices

A pushup is a plank.

More accurately, I'd say they were variations on the same move. Let's say that there's a proto pushup. Incline push-ups, modified push-up, standard push-ups and planks are all variations of this proto push-up working extremely similar muscle sets.

Sort of like a plyometric pistol squat is very different than the pistol squat, but seen as within the same movement family.

Yeah, that's how I'd put it. Push-ups and planks are in the same movement family and are related to the Bench-press?

But a plank isn't working you're chest the same as a push up- and there is no way a static plank is going to hit the same kind of work as say- a decline push up- a static plank doesn't even come close to touching your chest the way even a standard push up does.

I would say they are distant cousins and with some selective breeding they cross paths- like an up down plank is closer to the push up- but still hits more oblique than chest.

A plyo pistol is still a pistol... same exact family- a direct modification. I guess I just can't get on board with planks and push ups being the same family- they aren't interchangeable for work.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

oooh I like your choices

A pushup is a plank.

But a plank isn't working you're chest the same as a push up- and there is no way a static plank is going to hit the same kind of work as say- a decline push up- a static plank doesn't even come close to touching your chest the way even a standard push up does.

I would say they are distant cousins and with some selective breeding they cross paths- like an up down plank is closer to the push up- but still hits more oblique than chest.

A plyo pistol is still a pistol... same exact family- a direct modification. I guess I just can't get on board with planks and push ups being the same family- they aren't interchangeable for work.

Ok. I'm still learning. Thank you!
  • MrTolerable
    Options

cool beans. ima try it tonight

GL boss! :drinker:
  • MrTolerable
    Options

oooh I like your choices

A pushup is a plank.

^this is because they are not in the same family.

When I work out doing pushups -it is on a day that includes chest - because it is your chest that is being worked out.

A plank is drastically different - it is for your core, so on days I kill my core - I plank. with my leg swapping variation.

your core and your chest are totally different- sure you can exercise them on the same day - but I wouldn't say the exercises are related other then your belly is to the ground.

I see your thinking - but it works totally different muscle groups.

I'm compounding on Ms. Lovely buns post :wink: - not disagreeing with the lady.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells:

Snatches
    Swings
    Clean and press

Sorted.

Love this one
  • JoRocka
    Options

^this is because they are not in the same family.
    I see your thinking - but it works totally different muscle groups.

um. lol

Isn't that what I said the first time around?

LOL

#fullcircle winning

although- you're leg lift option is a great variation- I use it to target low back- also amusingly enough- I do single leg lifted push ups as well speaking of variety.
  • NHitchner2
    NHitchner2 Posts: 31
    Options
    Well since I never go to a gym and have all the equipment at home, everything O.O

But otherwise Benchpress because you can do it multiple different ways.

Pull-ups same reason

And probably Hammer Curls
  • roxywho42
    roxywho42 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Squat, DL, BP

Not original, but that's because they work.

Non-weight lifting exercise: burpees, push-up (even though I still stuck at them), and Zumba (because fun)
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Squats, Deadlift, Bench Press.

Squats and DL have variations to keep them interesting and target muscles differently. Bench Press is the only upper body lift that I like.
  • Mommy23js
    Mommy23js Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Lifting my beer, my full ice cream spoon, and my pizza slice :-) JK

Squats
    Deadlifts (always works me, but i hate them)
    Pendlay rows or OHP (but i hate OHP too, and since I'm already doing Deads.........)

Great thread--thank you!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Squats
    Deads
    Bench

For me the plank is only related to the push up by the fact that it is an authorized rest position during the push up test on an Army Physical fitness test.