What do you usually eat for breakfast?

Options
I'm usually NEVER hungry until the afternoon. But lately Ive been forcing at least some OJ and 2 slices of toast with butter or a bagel with cream cheese, or cereal with milk. If I wake up extra early and have a lot in the fridge I will make a full fry up which i know is bad.

Anyone have any tips on food thats healthier or a healthier way to prepare breakfast?
What do you eat and drink between 6am and 11am?
And is it better to eat a full meal or just one or 2 things?

Replies

• PrussianGuy
    Options
    Most days, two slices of low-carb bread with almond butter on them. Weekends, I make three eggs over-easy cooked in olive oil served on top of low-carb toast. Either option is pretty light and helps keep your healthy cholesterol levels up.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    air and water

the rare occasion i do eat before noon its 2 eggs and a slice of toast

nothing wrong with eggs, bacon or toast and butter
  • ninavalentine
    ninavalentine Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I eat an egg white or eggbeater mug omelet with some kind of veggie, a little cheese, and a couple of wheat crackers. A pretty healthy breakfast for not a lot of calories. You could use the whole egg if you don't like egg whites. Just google "Mug breakfast recipes."

It's fast and easy, too.
  • marsgirlly
    marsgirlly Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    During the school year (I'm a teacher) I tend to wait until 7:30 when I get to the building to eat. Otherwise, I'm starving by lunchtime. I sometimes have a Belvita packet or a Larabar, and always have coffee in the AM. During the summer, I am either having an egg with some canadian bacon, or a bowl of granola mix from Trader Joe's with almond milk.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    2 slices of low calorie bread, some peanut butter/jelly, or greek yogurt cream cheese. Sometimes a scrambled eggwhite sandwich or banana sandwich, all on the low cal bread. Thin bagels are good also.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My usual breakfasts (all accompanied by a cup of coffee with a splash of almond milk)...

Greek yogurt with fruit (fresh or "built in")

fried egg (light spray of Canola rather than butter) on a SMALL flour tortilla with chipotle dressing

mushroom, bell pepper, spinach and/or fresh basil to create an omelet (1-2 eggs), usually no cheese. I like cheese but would rather 'save it' for a different meal.

bean sprout omelet, similar to above omelet but with Sriracha on top.

egg over medium and an English muffin...half the muffin with my egg, the other half with a tiny (1/2 tsp) amount of fruit preserves spread on it.

hard boiled egg, slice of wheat toast, piece of veggie sausage

fried egg, slice of veggie bacon, green tomato relish, open-faced on 1/2 sandwich thin

Greek yogurt with 1/8 c. oats, berries or cooked apples, cinnamon, and some ground flaxseed...I don't add extra liquid but let it sit all night in the fridge...and maybe a little bit of honey and/or nuts added when serving

ETA: I don't claim any of these to be "complete meals", I am a breakfast person but also find that I am very satisfied with these small morning meals that range between 160-330 calories.
  • 12bfree
    12bfree Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Plain oatmeal is my first choice.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I almost always make myself a skim milk latte.

What else I eat varies, but my go-tos are:

-Egg sandwich made with a 100 Calorie Sandwich Thin, 2 large eggs, 2 TBSPs cheese

OR

-1 cup plain non-fat Greek Yogurt

OR

-1 cup cooked plain oatmeal with cinnamon and a MorningStar sausage patty
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I typically just have some whey protein in milk with my coffee.

I'm usually NEVER hungry until the afternoon. But lately Ive been forcing at least some OJ and 2 slices of toast with butter or a bagel with cream cheese, or cereal with milk. If I wake up extra early and have a lot in the fridge I will make a full fry up which i know is bad.

Anyone have any tips on food thats healthier or a healthier way to prepare breakfast?
    What do you eat and drink between 6am and 11am?
    And is it better to eat a full meal or just one or 2 things?

So without getting into specific nutrient needs I think your overall concern with respect to positioning your meals, would be to find something that allows you the greatest opportunity to stick to the plan. That's not going to be a one size fits all approach as people will have different preferences.

I'd be curious how your overall diet adherence is going first, prior to looking at hunger or lack of hunger at specific intervals.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Usually a protein bar and a yogurt or a piece of fruit!
  • Happy_Niss
    Happy_Niss Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat some kind of carb and some fruit.
    For example, today I had a small muffin, grapes, and watermelon.
    Yum!
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter m&ms or oreos. Whichever is closer to me.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    boiled egg and oatmeal.
  • dettiot
    dettiot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've had a lot of success lately with some steel-cut oats, a banana, and some Greek yogurt (the Yoplait 100 calorie cartons taste great to me-vanilla is my favorite). Usually I have water with a packet of Crystal Light, but sometimes it'll be a Diet Coke, depending on the day.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Coffee, water and more coffee. Maybe 2-3 times a year I will have apple spice oatmeal in the crock pot going for a late family breakfast, but really its more about the coffee on those days too.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat leftovers or whatever I need to use up before it goes bad. It's not necessary a breakfast food. Could be last night's casserole. Right now I'm working on the bag of apples that have been sitting on my counter for a long time. So apples + peanut butter for breakfast this morning.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat in the morning, you don't have to. The old adage that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" isn't true. (but it IS the tastiest :laugh: ) You can just choose to have your calories later in the day. Nothing wrong with that.
  • madxprofessor
    madxprofessor Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    All of that sounds great, except the just coffee or just water and air lol you need at least something to get you going, the reason they call it Breakfast is because your breaking the fast 'break-fast' of not eating all night, its to get your metabolism running so that the next meal you eat isnt used as stored fat because your body is in the ketosis stage. So i would assume having nothing or just liquid would make the next meal heavier on you.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I eat twice in that time frame. I have breakfast around 8 AM. Usually a mini egg omelet baked in a muffin tin with whatever veggies I have on hand and a little cheese on a 90 calorie flat bread, or oatmeal.

For my morning snack around 10 AM I usually do fruit, Greek yogurt, peanut butter, or some combination of those. Today it was a banana and all natural almond butter. That usually holds me over until lunch time :)

I have read also that eating breakfast in the morning can help kick start your metabolism for the day. I eat every few hours to keep myself satisfied throughout the day but, I don't think that it really matters WHEN you eat as long as you're not going over your calorie goals. So if you don't wanna eat breakfast, then you shouldn't have to.

Also I'm not sure what you mean by "full fry up", but if you want you could make breakfasts a little healthier but using turkey sausage or bacon. I like turkey sausage better because I don't think it tastes much different than pork sausage. Once again, as long as your portions are controlled and stay within your goals its fine.
  • ekztawas
    ekztawas Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is almost always oatmeal. Sometimes I'll replace it with toast w/ peanut butter and sliced bananas on top.