Does anyone here eat real food?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    An ordinary kitchen using ITEMS our ancestors would recognised. Check for sentence construction before putting typing fingers in gear :tongue:
    I still use my grandmothers saucepans!

Ah, I forgot appliances, kitchen tools etc are not items and that items would only apply to ingredients, silly of me
  • l8kelovr
    l8kelovr Posts: 1
    Options
    Absolutely - majority of my meals come from my kitchen not the grocery store freezer. Sometimes calculating calories is a bit of a guess, but feel better knowing that I have made the meal myself and know exactly what is in it.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Which ancestors are you referring to? I hope you don't only eat food that can be prepared by skinning it with flint knives and roasting it on a stick over a fire (if cooked at all). Am puzzled by your arbitrary food preparation rule. :huh:

But then you say you eat Ben&Jerry's, so you redeemed yourself. :bigsmile:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Someone brought these into work today, and let me tell ya... that is NOT food!

lightlysalted.png
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    An ordinary kitchen using ITEMS our ancestors would recognised. Check for sentence construction before putting typing fingers in gear :tongue:

Ah, I forgot appliances, kitchen tools etc are not items and that items would only apply to ingredients, silly of me

I read it the same way you did. I was thinking this was a new fad diet where you don't use blenders or food processors etc...

OP - I think INGREDIENTS would have been a better choice of word for you. :wink:
  • alletahg
    alletahg Posts: 2
    Options
    I made the switch to real food/clean eating almost two years ago, and since I'm the mom, the rest of the family did too. :)

For lunch, I often have a salad of chopped veggies, or leftovers from dinner. I'll fill a whole wheat tortilla with hummus, greens, tomato, peppers, and avocado, with maybe a slice of cheddar cheese. I make soup and freeze it in single servings. Dinner is usually a protein with veggies and fruit on the side. If I make rice, I use brown rice (look up Alton Brown's method of cooking brown rice in the oven). Last night we had pan seared wild salmon, fresh fruit, and homemade corn cakes with avocado salsa. The night before, we had grilled steak served over salad greens, steamed green beans, and fresh pineapple.

There's a site called 100 Days of Real Food that I found to be a good resource. I've also gotten good at substituting ingredients to make other recipes "real," such as white whole wheat flour in place of all purpose, natural sweeteners like maple syrup or honey in place of refined sugar, coconut oil instead of vegetable oil, etc. We eat a lot of fresh vegetables and fruit.

Since we don't buy packaged foods anymore, I will usually double recipes for things like pancakes or waffles and freeze the extra in individual servings. This makes weekday breakfasts really quick and simple. I have a bread machine that I got at a garage sale for super cheap and usually make my own bread. There are a lot of things we used to buy that I started making myself and was surprised at how simple they can be -- like pizza dough, taco seasoning, tortillas, and applesauce. It helps that I like to cook and work at home so am here to do these things.

We don't make a fuss about what we're served at other peoples' homes and when we go out to eat, we order whatever we want. We take the kids out for ice cream and sometimes order pizza or take-out. So it isn't an obsession with me, but I like that we are avoiding all of the crap added to food these days, least of all the extra salt and sugar. Plus, my youngest is no longer chronically constipated. Not having to unclog the toilet DAILY is definitely worth the extra time in the kitchen!
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Quirky_but_nice Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Which ancestors are you referring to? I hope you don't only eat food that can be prepared by skinning it with flint knives and roasting it on a stick over a fire (if cooked at all). Am puzzled by your arbitrary food preparation rule. :huh:

But then you say you eat Ben&Jerry's, so you redeemed yourself. :bigsmile:
    :bigsmile: It's the ingredients and method of producing them that's important to me. I don't use a micrawave but I do use an electric kettle so no hard and fast rules. I just try to eat a more natural diet without a chemical overload. And the food has to TASTE good.
    Ben&Jerry's included and excluded :bigsmile:
  • octomancer
    Options
    My lunches mainly consist of a grilled lean protein (pork loin/chops, chicken, turkey breast), sweet potato or rice, and a steamed vegetable (broccoli, frozen stirfry mix, green beans, broccoli/cauliflower/carrot mix, etc.).

LOL, are you me?? This is about 50% of my diet.

To the OP:

I live in England too. I'm fortunate enough to have a Waitrose at the bottom of my road. 99% of what I buy comes from the first three aisles: Fruit and veg, dairy and the reduced section for meat for my freezer. The most processed food I eat is tinned tomatoes and dried pasta (maybe the odd fishcake :wink: ) I cook everything I eat from fresh ingredients.. I even make my own cereal (granola and muesli). If I'm not going out with workmates for lunch then I almost always bring something healthy from home.

If you can see the recipes I've entered, or you take a look at my food diary, then you'll get a good idea of what I eat for main meals, things like:

Chicken curry + rice
    Chicken thighs in spicy tomato sauce + rice
    Chicken and bacon lasagne
    Pork/lamb chops + potato or sweet potato + steamed veg eg cabbage, leek, carrot, broccoli
    Pork/lamb meatballs in spicy tomato sauce + rice
    Fried salmon + steamed veg + potato or sweet potato
    Fishcakes + steamed veg + potato or sweet potato
    Fried chorizo and veg + rice
    Cold meat + salad

The rice dishes and the lasagne can be frozen, they end up being my work lunches. I'm lucky enough that we have a kitchen with a fridge, a freezer and 2 microwaves at work so it's easy to eat healthy lunches.

I also cook a mean kedgeree but my housemate hates the smell of smoked haddock so I don't cook that much any more ;-) I cook a few other things from time to time like risotto, chicken chasseur, chicken/pork in pepper sauce, sunday roast with all the trimmings and good old english fry ups :-)

If you're interested in any of the recipes above let me know :-)
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I cook most nights and take in left-overs for lunches - so they're pretty much the same thing. Too many to list, but some ideas:

1. Steamed fish - on a large piece of tinfoil place a pile of sliced mushrooms and a fillet of fish (any - I tend to like trout). Add seasoning and fresh herbs to taste (parsley mainly, but tarragon is delicious as well). Fold the foil over, like a pasty, making sure the ends are scrunched. Place in a moderate oven (GM6, 180C) for about half an hour. Serve with steamed veg / potatoes / rice / whathaveyou. If the tin foil idea is a bust, you can do the same thing with any ovenproof pan/dish with a lid - just watch the liquid levels.

2. Chicken with lemon and thyme - Using a large pack of chicken drumsticks and thighs (approx 1kg), place in a roasting dish. Add quartered lemons and onions, a good handful of thyme (Tesco and Sainsbury do fresh herb packs and I tend to use a whole pack), a splash of white wine (optional), salt and pepper. Bake in a moderate oven (GM6, 180C) for an hour to an hour and a half. Serve with fresh green salad, or steamed veg etc.

3. Stews. Completely generic, but approx 500g meat, 1,500g different veggies (mushrooms, carrots, courgettes, squash, celery, swede etc.), a couple of onions, some garlic, stock/wine/beer, add herbs and spices to taste, cook on a low heat for an hour to two, depending on the meat. Faves include pork and black pudding (use water as the stock), beef in ale, chicken in red wine. Serves 4-5, depending on how hungry you are. Not the sort of thing for summer, but kept me going through the winter!
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Options

I read it the same way you did. I was thinking this was a new fad diet where you don't use blenders or food processors etc...

OP - I think INGREDIENTS would have been a better choice of word for you. :wink:
    Lol! My blender is inherited, so maybe my age would have been a good place to start! I stand by what I first typed, now stop nit picking both of you, you're getting boring :wink: :tongue:
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options

lightlysalted.png

NOM NOM NOM!

I will not discriminate! I will eat all teh foodz!
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Options
    My lunches mainly consist of a grilled lean protein (pork loin/chops, chicken, turkey breast), sweet potato or rice, and a steamed vegetable (broccoli, frozen stirfry mix, green beans, broccoli/cauliflower/carrot mix, etc.).

LOL, are you me?? This is about 50% of my diet.

To the OP:

I live in England too. I'm fortunate enough to have a Waitrose at the bottom of my road. 99% of what I buy comes from the first three aisles: Fruit and veg, dairy and the reduced section for meat for my freezer. The most processed food I eat is tinned tomatoes and dried pasta (maybe the odd fishcake :wink: ) I cook everything I eat from fresh ingredients.. I even make my own cereal (granola and muesli). If I'm not going out with workmates for lunch then I almost always bring something healthy from home.

If you can see the recipes I've entered, or you take a look at my food diary, then you'll get a good idea of what I eat for main meals, things like:

Chicken curry + rice
    Chicken thighs in spicy tomato sauce + rice
    Chicken and bacon lasagne
    Pork/lamb chops + potato or sweet potato + steamed veg eg cabbage, leek, carrot, broccoli
    Pork/lamb meatballs in spicy tomato sauce + rice
    Fried salmon + steamed veg + potato or sweet potato
    Fishcakes + steamed veg + potato or sweet potato
    Fried chorizo and veg + rice
    Cold meat + salad

The rice dishes and the lasagne can be frozen, they end up being my work lunches. I'm lucky enough that we have a kitchen with a fridge, a freezer and 2 microwaves at work so it's easy to eat healthy lunches.

I also cook a mean kedgeree but my housemate hates the smell of smoked haddock so I don't cook that much any more ;-) I cook a few other things from time to time like risotto, chicken chasseur, chicken/pork in pepper sauce, sunday roast with all the trimmings and good old english fry ups :-)

If you're interested in any of the recipes above let me know :-)
    Yum! Friend request sent :smile:
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Real food is the only way to go. Lean meat, portioned according to your protein allowance. Fresh veggies, some raw, some steamed. Love broccoli, spinach, collard greens, bell peppers, cucumbers,zucchini, squash, fresh tomatoes. Carbs can be portions according to allowance: rice, noodles, pasta, potatoes, sweet potatoes. Don't forget about fresh fish: We eat salmon and tilapia bought fresh from Kroger. Don't like the frozen fish because no idea how old it is. Fresh tastes much better. Sprinkle a bit of Mrs. Dash and some parmesan/romano cheese on top and bake. Delicious!

Can I just say, since the fillets are flash frozen shortly after being caught, they're actually nutritionally 'younger' than the fresh stuff you buy :)
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    if my non real food is fake how come im fat?
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Right now squash and onions are in season and super cheap here.

I take about a table spoon of coconut oil and caramelize 2-3 onions (add first, cooks slowest), 2-3 squash and an entire freaking head of garlic (add that last, it cooks fastest) to my 5-quart fryer and viola it is so good.

The onions are 2lb/$1 and squash is at $0.68/1lb, garlic heads about $0.12/apiece.

Very inexpensive and very "real."
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Options

Can I just say, since the fillets are flash frozen shortly after being caught, they're actually nutritionally 'younger' than the fresh stuff you buy :)
    Frozen fish is usually the best option away from the coast, but as I live in a very good market town the fish caught last night is on my plate the next evening!
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options

lightlysalted.png
    What sort of jerkwad would ruin snap peas like this?? This doesn't even sound appetizing. :(
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Options
    1. Steamed fish - on a large piece of tinfoil place a pile of sliced mushrooms and a fillet of fish (any - I tend to like trout). Add seasoning and fresh herbs to taste (parsley mainly, but tarragon is delicious as well). Fold the foil over, like a pasty, making sure the ends are scrunched. Place in a moderate oven (GM6, 180C) for about half an hour. Serve with steamed veg / potatoes / rice / whathaveyou. If the tin foil idea is a bust, you can do the same thing with any ovenproof pan/dish with a lid - just watch the liquid levels.
    I use parchment paper to get the same result as I can put that in the compost after.
    Thanks for the ideas. Please keep them coming.
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Options
    Right now squash and onions are in season and super cheap here.

I take about a table spoon of coconut oil and caramelize 2-3 onions (add first, cooks slowest), 2-3 squash and an entire freaking head of garlic (add that last, it cooks fastest) to my 5-quart fryer and viola it is so good.

The onions are 2lb/$1 and squash is at $0.68/1lb, garlic heads about $0.12/apiece.

Very inexpensive and very "real."
    It's a bit early for squash here yet, but I could try this with courgettes which always seem to come in droves. My squash will be ready next month, sweetcorn the month after.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    what's wrong with left overs?

All I eat is what I cook for dinner and then eggs- I typically don't eat breakfast- so lunch is either left overs- or scrambled eggs- or a can of tuna.

You're over thinking this.