Does anyone here eat real food?

Options

Replies

• woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I love zucchini noodle salad as a side dish. It's so simple and insanely delicious!

Ribboned or Julianned zucchini (use a regular veggie peeler for ribbons or a julianne peeler for 'noodles')
    equal parts olive oil and fresh lemon juice
    salt and pepper
    Parmesan cheese (optional but very tasty)
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

Can I just say, since the fillets are flash frozen shortly after being caught, they're actually nutritionally 'younger' than the fresh stuff you buy :)
    Frozen fish is usually the best option away from the coast, but as I live in a very good market town the fish caught last night is on my plate the next evening!

Fair point, eat lots of nice fresh fish then!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly learning the esoteric art of actual cooking. I even made my own peanut butter last week. I used to think gourmet luxury was going to the grocery store and filling my cart with every boxed sweet I could get my hands on, then going home and stuffing my face with it. Now I know real gourmet luxury is having time to find a tasty, healthy recipe online, buy the ingredients, and prepare it.

I should have figured that out decades ago, but all that shiny snack food packaging seduced me!
  • chalk_and_chaturangas
    chalk_and_chaturangas Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out Ezekiel Bread? It's still bread, but it's minimally processed and 100% whole grain. They make English Muffins and Pita Pockets, too. I use the pita pockets for sandwiches at lunch. They're only 100 calories.
  • klroemen
    klroemen Posts: 5
    Options
    what's wrong with left overs?

All I eat is what I cook for dinner and then eggs- I typically don't eat breakfast- so lunch is either left overs- or scrambled eggs- or a can of tuna.

You're over thinking this.

Boy, I bet your farts smell wonderful!! :noway: LOL!!! :laugh:
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Not a clean eater, but last week I made a baked sweet potato stuffed with black beans, smoked cheese, fresh greens dressed with lemon juice, and topped with an over easy egg. It was pretty amazing, high in protein, and contained almost an entire day's worth of fiber.

I also eat a lot of pizza, a lot of taco salad, a lot of regular salad (really big ones, and always with protein), and a fair amount of stir fry.

I also had 14 pints of Ben & Jerry's in my freezer at one time.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Nope. Only plastic food for me, thanks.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Real food is over rated. I only eat the plastic fruits that people use as centerpieces.

Ahhh! ^She beat me to it
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Someone brought these into work today, and let me tell ya... that is NOT food!

lightlysalted.png
    What sort of jerkwad would ruin snap peas like this?? This doesn't even sound appetizing. :(

They're actually very good. You food judgement is not welcome in this space of friendship.

:wink:
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Try this recipe: http://aiplifestyle.com/creamy-crockpot-lemon-chicken-kale-soup/
    I will admit, Lemon chicken kale soup did not sound appealing to me at first but this one is now a family classic!

All I eat is real food...but you have to be a friend to see my diary. I am dealing with extensive food allergies so most of my plates tend to be 40% meat, 40% veggies/fibre, and 20% starch. Perfectly steamed "naked" veggies take some getting used to but now I cannot eat them in sauces or covered in butter. One trick I use for getting whole food ideas is actually to google/search "gluten free vegan recipes"...then I just add or serve with meat.
  • chalk_and_chaturangas
    chalk_and_chaturangas Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for more ideas for my lunches and dinners, BUT I only eat things that could be prepared in an ordinary kitchen using items that our ancestors would readily recognise apart from minor diversions when I go out to eat! (Ben and Jerrys!):bigsmile:

Also, try researching the Paleo diet (http://thepaleodiet.com/). Its basically what you're describing. minus the Ben & Jerry's and all other dairy. Receipes are easy to find by Googling any recipe name, but adding "Paleo" before it.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    no, I only eat plastic food. Nom....
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    What calorie counting and recipe sharing websites did your ancestors use? :tongue:

More power to you for wanting to find new recipes and cook more at home with fresh ingredients, with the occasional Ben and Jerry's thrown in. I think you will find some sensitivity toward the wording of your title and your responses from people who don't label their food, yet in practice, follow many of the same habits you are trying to instill.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Today's lunch-frozen bbq pork (it better thaw fast!) atop organic spinach. Kale smoothies every day-food doesn't get more real than the kale smoothies. Thanks for the lemon chicken kale recipe! ^^^^^^^^^that sounds awesome! can't wait to try it. :bigsmile:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    In for the "chemicals are bad" discussion.
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Quirky_but_nice Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out Ezekiel Bread? It's still bread, but it's minimally processed and 100% whole grain. They make English Muffins and Pita Pockets, too. I use the pita pockets for sandwiches at lunch. They're only 100 calories.
    Sounds good, but not currently available at my local shops.
    I eat bread btw!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I have venison stew in the crock pot right now. Yum.

Other favorites that I like (I do most of these in the crock pot in huge quantities and then freeze in individual portions):
    Pulled pork or chicken with BBQ sauce
    Balsamic vinegar braised chicken
    Sauerkraut chicken
    Salsa chicken
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Quirky_but_nice Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You are welcome to eat chemicals, even better eat LOADS of them. I choose not to, that's all.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You are welcome to eat chemicals, even better eat LOADS of them. I choose not to, that's all.

Yes, I know. Please tell me what your fresh unprocessed food is made of?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Someone brought these into work today, and let me tell ya... that is NOT food!

lightlysalted.png
    What sort of jerkwad would ruin snap peas like this?? This doesn't even sound appetizing. :(

They're actually very good. You food judgement is not welcome in this space of friendship.

:wink:

It's like a Pea Cheeto Puff! LOL After a few, my tongue felt funny. Just like Cheeto's.