Does anyone here eat real food?

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I have venison stew in the crock pot right now. Yum.

Other favorites that I like (I do most of these in the crock pot in huge quantities and then freeze in individual portions):
    Pulled pork or chicken with BBQ sauce
    Balsamic vinegar braised chicken
    Sauerkraut chicken
    Salsa chicken

I don't think my ancestors had a crockpot.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Other favorites that I like (I do most of these in the crock pot in huge quantities and then freeze in individual portions):
    Sauerkraut chicken
    Salsa chicken

Hm, missed that part of the post. The OP might be able to figure out something with a rock and fire. Does fire count? How far back do we have to go? My grandmother is my ancestor, and she owned a crockpot...
  • 2Chaotic
    2Chaotic Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I looked at the "clean eating" brigade, but that's a bit too faddy for me. Our ancestors ate white bread, just not at every meal!
    So my ideal is to try to avoid overprocessed food, eat things with an ingredient list I recognise and is in season if possible.

Ummm.... I'd like to know what you think "clean eating" is because every description or reference that I have seen matches your last sentence.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I eat and drink 100% clean 100% of the time. I also drink Diet Coke.

Go figure that one out!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    Someone brought these into work today, and let me tell ya... that is NOT food!

lightlysalted.png

but, they taste great!!
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to eat mostly whole foods with an emphasis on plant based cals. I love seafood and chicken, so still getting some meats, but also love eggs, nuts, avocados, etc. so not necessarily eating "lean". :) It's working great for me so far.

Anyone eating similarly? Feel free to add and let's motivate each other!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    As compared to fake food?

I prefer my food real. Tastes better.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite "recipes" (using the term loosely because there's not much to it) is to place a non-breaded frozen tilapia (if you can afford fresh even better..) on a George Foreman grill (Since you're in the U.K., this is essentially a very small non-stick electric griddle-type appliance..you probably have similar items but if not or you don't want to use it, I'm sure this could easily be done in a skillet), put a bit of lemon juice on it and some Lemon Pepper for spice (exactly what it sounds like a mixture of grated lemon peel and ground pepper).

Extremely low-cal and definitely real...
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I looked at the "clean eating" brigade, but that's a bit too faddy for me. Our ancestors ate white bread, just not at every meal!
    So my ideal is to try to avoid overprocessed food, eat things with an ingredient list I recognise and is in season if possible.

Ummm.... I'd like to know what you think "clean eating" is because every description or reference that I have seen matches your last sentence.
    Many "clean" eaters would say things like ice cream don't qualify...even if you make them at home from your own cream and vanilla beans. Or exclude pizza because of potenially high fat and carb content from the dough/cheese. Perhaps she's rebelling against rigid pronouncements like that? Or people that are whole-heartedly into "green smoothies" etc?
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Quirky_but_nice Posts: 102 Member
    Options

It's an ideal, not a dogma.
    I eat butter, yet that's processed. The difference being I can make butter at home, but I would defy any ordinary cooks to make margarine in a normal kitchen.
    I eat bread out of many grains, also white flour I get from a local watermill, where they seive it before packaging. I don't call that over processed. (mind you, it's more grey than white!)
    I just like my food to taste good to me and as I was never brought up on Maccy D's I find home prepared food tastes best to me.
    I cannot use food items I have no clue about - whey protein etc. as they just seem so uneccessary when I can have a nice piece of farmhouse cheddar and enjoy my food
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Someone brought these into work today, and let me tell ya... that is NOT food!

lightlysalted.png
    What sort of jerkwad would ruin snap peas like this?? This doesn't even sound appetizing. :(

They're actually very good. You food judgement is not welcome in this space of friendship.

:wink:

Agreed. I'm actually eating those right now. Why the negativity? :angry:
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    what's wrong with left overs?

All I eat is what I cook for dinner and then eggs- I typically don't eat breakfast- so lunch is either left overs- or scrambled eggs- or a can of tuna.

You're over thinking this.

LOL's me too.

No breakfast, (coffee, of course) than leftovers or eggs.

I cook one time and one time daily only.

And I try to cook enough then so that it lasts at least a few more days worth of leftovers.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options

Sauerkraut chicken
    Salsa chicken

Oh they absolutely did!

For a very long time, especially in Europe, it was their main form of cooking before the advent of stoves, and even then stoves weren't common among the peasants.

It was just made of cast iron and hung over the fire all day instead of being plugged into a wall.

:flowerforyou:
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Options
    One of my favorite "recipes" (using the term loosely because there's not much to it) is to place a non-breaded frozen tilapia (if you can afford fresh even better..) on a George Foreman grill (Since you're in the U.K., this is essentially a very small non-stick electric griddle-type appliance..you probably have similar items but if not or you don't want to use it, I'm sure this could easily be done in a skillet), put a bit of lemon juice on it and some Lemon Pepper for spice (exactly what it sounds like a mixture of grated lemon peel and ground pepper).

Extremely low-cal and definitely real...
    Mmmm! I can taste that already! Haddock is a common fish around here and I'd cook that in a covered cast iron pan.
    We do have George Foreman grills here, but why bother with more machinery when I have a decent cast iron (non stick naturally) frying pan
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Options
    I could do with some ideas for (less than 250 calorie) lunch that I can reheat/cook at work for lunch. Cannot be anything too smelly like garlic or fish and I'm not keen on salad.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    I love zucchini noodle salad as a side dish. It's so simple and insanely delicious!

Ribboned or Julianned zucchini (use a regular veggie peeler for ribbons or a julianne peeler for 'noodles')
    equal parts olive oil and fresh lemon juice
    salt and pepper
    Parmesan cheese (optional but very tasty)

Hmmm... I just got my Vegetti. I might have to try this.
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Options

Sauerkraut chicken
    Salsa chicken

Oh they absolutely did!

For a very long time, especially in Europe, it was their main form of cooking before the advent of stoves, and even then stoves weren't common among the peasants.

It was just made of cast iron and hung over the fire all day instead of being plugged into a wall.

:flowerforyou:
    They also had a Hay Box Cooker or just buried food in the embers of the fire
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Consider joining our group "The Perimeter Shoppers".
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Options
    Where do you find the group?
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for more ideas for my lunches and dinners, BUT I only eat things that could be prepared in an ordinary kitchen using items that our ancestors would readily recognise apart from minor diversions when I go out to eat! (Ben and Jerrys!):bigsmile:

Lettuce wraps are nice for lunch. You can use a wide variety of fillings including a rice or quinoa mixture with vegetables.