Letting Friends Disagree

Options
I think we should. I think we should let friends disagree with each other and reach a resolution on their own. I think we could all save ourselves hours and hours of grief if we would just keep our noses out of minor disagreements, let the two people who disagree have it out, and then work it out. When we all jump into the fray it only tends to escalate it like a bunch of children standing around two former best-friends screaming "fight, fight, fight." We represent a variety of nationalities, races, cultures, and educational and political backgrounds. Not one of us has the secret to the truth or any special hold on right and wrong. Let people work out their differences. Oh, and treat each other fairly when you do have a disagreement.

And, to avoid being accused of getting on my high horse, I'm not. I've certainly crossed the line and played the *kitten* on occasion. I deeply regret it. No good ever came of it. There are plenty of good people on here, and frankly, there isn't a single person on this site for whom I've developed any sort of deep personal dislike. It's the interwebs. Try to fight fair and treat it all with a grain of salt. Just my humble two cents. You're certainly entitled to yours.

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I can't watch this because I'm in Canada. :ohwell:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I disagree. :angry:

:laugh:
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I disagree. :angry:

:laugh:

Oh no, friends, don't fight!! :wink:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

I can't watch this because I'm in Canada. :ohwell:

I think New York is closer to Canadia than Hulu....try this one

http://www.nytimes.com/video/opinion/100000001183275/the-umbrella-man.html
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm a lover not a fighter
    Unless mud is involved
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Unless mud is involved

For the record, I'm pro mud. And Jello. Particularly, lime Jello.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I think we should. I think we should let friends disagree with each other and reach a resolution on their own. I think we could all save ourselves hours and hours of grief if we would just keep our noses out of minor disagreements, let the two people who disagree have it out, and then work it out. When we all jump into the fray it only tends to escalate it like a bunch of children standing around two former best-friends screaming "fight, fight, fight." We represent a variety of nationalities, races, cultures, and educational and political backgrounds. Not one of us has the secret to the truth or any special hold on right and wrong. Let people work out their differences. Oh, and treat each other fairly when you do have a disagreement.

And, to avoid being accused of getting on my high horse, I'm not. I've certainly crossed the line and played the *kitten* on occasion. I deeply regret it. No good ever came of it. There are plenty of good people on here, and frankly, there isn't a single person on this site for whom I've developed any sort of deep personal dislike. It's the interwebs. Try to fight fair and treat it all with a grain of salt. Just my humble two cents. You're certainly entitled to yours.

Words of wisdom - but what do you do when said friends *insist* on dragging you into the fray?

I currently find myself in such a situation IRL... two friends on the outs... both friends constantly bait me to bad-mouth the other... I defer, of course, because individually they're both still *my* friends, but I feel so much pressure to pick a side that now I find that I avoid them both.

They're problem is with each other, but I'll probably end up losing two friends out of the deal... irony?
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Disagreements are not necessarily negative, but how people handle it can certainly be. A mentor told me to always assume your spouse has the best of intentions. I think this would apply to friendships, as well. If you are friends with someone, I think that is a judgment that the person is a good natured person, so even in an argument you need to assume they are still that same person.

If someone crossed a line, hopefully they are good natured enough to admit it and apologize.

And unless you are willing to take a permanent side, it's best to stay neutral, because it feels like a permanent choice to the one left unchosen.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Unless mud is involved

For the record, I'm pro mud. And Jello. Particularly, lime Jello.

I haven't had jello in years and now I want lime jello. :grumble:
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Words of wisdom - but what do you do when said friends *insist* on dragging you into the fray?

I currently find myself in such a situation IRL... two friends on the outs... both friends constantly bait me to bad-mouth the other... I defer, of course, because individually they're both still *my* friends, but I feel so much pressure to pick a side that now I find that I avoid them both.

They're problem is with each other, but I'll probably end up losing two friends out of the deal... irony?

Tell them what you think. That you don't want to get pulled into it. That you think they're both great people and are both mature and intelligent enough to work it out amongst themselves. And, that the first one who gives you an ultimatum gets deleted. I received them and given them, and they are never fair. And besides, this is the internet, it doesn't affect anyone's career, long-standing relationship, or their money.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I heard there was jello wrestling here...
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Disagreements are not necessarily negative, but how people handle it can certainly be. A mentor told me to always assume your spouse has the best of intentions. I think this would apply to friendships, as well. If you are friends with someone, I think that is a judgment that the person is a good natured person, so even in an argument you need to assume they are still that same person.

If someone crossed a line, hopefully they are good natured enough to admit it and apologize.

And unless you are willing to take a permanent side, it's best to stay neutral, because it feels like a permanent choice to the one left unchosen.

I agree with this.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Let's go!

You, me, and cherry jello whipped crap parfait!
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

I'm a giver

images-7_zps879b780b.jpeg
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I agree with this.

I agree, in most cases.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Why is the flavour important? Do you have a story to share OP?
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I agree with this.

I agree, in most cases.

Yeah, not in all cases. Only when it applies.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Let's go!

You, me, and cherry jello whipped crap parfait!

I am down! Who wants to wrestle the winner?