Letting Friends Disagree

Options

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I heard there was jello wrestling here...

I'm a giver

images-7_zps879b780b.jpeg

Excellent, I am a taker.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Let's go!

You, me, and cherry jello whipped crap parfait!

I am down! Who wants to wrestle the winner?

*looks about*

*raises hand*
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

Wait a sec....I was told that the wrestling was to take place in tapioca pudding....
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Wait a sec....I was told that the wrestling was to take place in tapioca pudding....

That a different movie.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I have been there. Both putting myself between and being thrown between.

It isn't very pleasant.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'm a lover not a fighter
    Unless mud is involved

For the record, I'm pro mud. And Jello. Particularly, lime Jello.

How do you feel about Cream Corn Wrestling?

burt_reynolds2.jpg
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Are there donuts in this thread?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

It isn't very pleasant.

I always like being in the middle....

Wait, what are we talking about again?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I think people should play fair. If someone isn't playing fair, it's ok to extend a hand to your friend. But, not to jump in and also play unfair or basically be shouting "fight, fight, fight" from the sidelines.

Friends may ask for support, someone to talk to, they may want to defend themselves if untrue things were said about them, etc. That's not getting pulled in the middle.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Disagreements are not necessarily negative, but how people handle it can certainly be. A mentor told me to always assume your spouse has the best of intentions. I think this would apply to friendships, as well. If you are friends with someone, I think that is a judgment that the person is a good natured person, so even in an argument you need to assume they are still that same person.

If someone crossed a line, hopefully they are good natured enough to admit it and apologize.

And unless you are willing to take a permanent side, it's best to stay neutral, because it feels like a permanent choice to the one left unchosen.

I agree with this.

I agree, in most cases.

Yeah, not in all cases. Only when it applies.

Yeah, not all cases. If there is abuse or manipulation then obviously the person is not usually good natured and steps need to be taken to protect yourself. And you have to ask yourself why you are allowing them entrance into your life in the first place. But it takes a careful judgment as to whether the person is good natured and having a bad moment or generally bad natured with the occasional good moment for show.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Disagreements are not necessarily negative, but how people handle it can certainly be. A mentor told me to always assume your spouse has the best of intentions. I think this would apply to friendships, as well. If you are friends with someone, I think that is a judgment that the person is a good natured person, so even in an argument you need to assume they are still that same person.

If someone crossed a line, hopefully they are good natured enough to admit it and apologize.

And unless you are willing to take a permanent side, it's best to stay neutral, because it feels like a permanent choice to the one left unchosen.

I agree with this.

I agree, in most cases.

Yeah, not all cases. If there is abuse or manipulation then obviously the person is not usually good natured and steps need to be taken to protect yourself. And you have to ask yourself why you are allowing them entrance into your life in the first place. But it takes a careful judgment as to whether the person is good natured and having a bad moment or generally bad natured with the occasional good moment for show.

Yes, I agree!! Most of the time the people are the same good natured people they have always been, and trusting that and giving the benefit of the doubt is what friendship is. But, sometimes we find out someone was not who we thought they were.

And online it's not that serious. To unfriend or whatever is just casual. It doesn't mean something serious.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options

I agree with this.

I agree, in most cases.

Yes, I agree!! Most of the time the people are the same good natured people they have always been, and trusting that and giving the benefit of the doubt is what friendship is. But, sometimes we find out someone was not who we thought they were.

And online it's not that serious. To unfriend or whatever is just casual. It doesn't mean something serious.

True enough about online stuff. Now I do believe we are standing in the way of a jello wrestle, so I will take my leave. :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Let's go!

You, me, and cherry jello whipped crap parfait!

I am down! Who wants to wrestle the winner?

*looks about*

*raises hand*

Me next! But only cherry jello. None of this lime crap.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Sugar-fight-fight-fight.gif

Also available to be put in the middle.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    But what if I like conflict?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    But what if I like conflict?

Just hop right into the jello
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options

It isn't very pleasant.

It isn't fun.

If I do it, it's on me. My choice to get in the fight. I don't do it often, but sometimes there's an important reason.

When I find myself getting pulled into a disagreement, I ask myself who is pulling me into this situation, and exactly why are they doing it. Why do they feel a need to put me in this situation? What is their motivation for dragging me into this mess?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

It isn't very pleasant.

It isn't fun.

If I do it, it's on me. My choice to get in the fight. I don't do it often, but sometimes there's an important reason.

When I find myself getting pulled into a disagreement, I ask myself who is pulling me into this situation, and exactly why are they doing it. Why do they feel a need to put me in this situation? What is their motivation for dragging me into this mess?

At least IRL, I think a good friend is the one that will tell us to "cool it" rather than egging us on.

That, and on here, there are very few important issues. Debates about nutrition? Sure. Vitally important issues? I'm having trouble coming up with much, at least anything that anyone on here honestly wants to actually touch when those threads do crop up.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options

It isn't very pleasant.

It isn't fun.

At least IRL, I think a good friend is the one that will tell us to "cool it" rather than egging us on.

That, and on here, there are very few important issues. Debates about nutrition? Sure. Vitally important issues? I'm having trouble coming up with much, at least anything that anyone on here honestly wants to actually touch when those threads do crop up.

I agree. When people egg things on, it doesn't help anything. There's a lot of value in encouraging people to step back and cool off a bit. Senseless fighting doesn't help anything.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

It isn't very pleasant.

It isn't fun.

This is an interesting viewpoint. If two 'friends' are disagreeing and one friend pulls you into something are both friends actually at fault? Afterall, friend B can't stop friend A from trying to yank in outsiders, right? So in cases where one feels pressure to pick sides...would is not make sense to consider why you're being made to pick in the first place.

Interesting thoughts indeed.