House Sitter Nightmare, Please Help

Options
Erin_goBrahScience
Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
I need some advice. This past weekend the SO and I took a weekend away and asked a friend to come by and feed the cat. When I got home I was shocked to see what had transpired. First she broke the lock on the door. Apparently she was having some difficulty with the key and broke the key off in the lock. We started to call a locksmith but found it more cost efficient to buy a new lock at the hardware store since we couldn’t just rekey it.

She also broke one of the dining room chairs and just welcomed herself to the food in both the freezer and the pantry. I guess I would be okay with maybe a little but she ransacked the joint and didn’t even do the dishes. Also I am sure that she slept in the guest bed (something we didn’t discuss) because it was slept in and not made up.

I felt like we had a decent relationship prior to this, but I’m feeling very violated. I’m wondering if I should discuss this with her? I don’t want there to be weirdness cause she lives right next door. But now I don’t want her in my house. It’s just horrible cause I invited this person in and she just made herself at home. I asked her to feed my pet, not move in for the weekend.

Any advice would be welcome.

Replies

• sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    Are you sure the cat didn't do it?
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should ask her about it.

It honestly sounds like drinking was involved.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Shenanigans. At least she cleaned up the mess from the kegger we thr-... I mean, hi.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Is this serious or just another troll thread?
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    She did not break the lamp I asked you to keep for me, did she?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Geez!!! I said I was sorry!!! Did you have to make a thread about it?!!! Now I'm not going to replace anything....
  • soberlicious
    soberlicious Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    nw.gif

sad-crying-cat.gif
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    do you have a blacklight?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Was she blonde?

Did she eat the cat?

Does she wear a red hood?... wait... wrong story.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    She did not break the lamp I asked you to keep for me, did she?

This answers my question.

Man. Is today National Troll Thread Day or something? I must've missed the memo.
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've had similar experiences with cat sitters that I have used. Both were work colleagues. First one took a shower in my apt and didn't bother turning the water off all the way so I when I came home there was water all of the floor. Second used the bathroom (no problem, you have to go when you have to go), but didn't find it necessary to flush the toilet. Both also lied about the number of times they came by to feed my cat (came home to empty food bowls and unscooped/filthy litter boxes with both).

And I would definitely try and discuss it with her. Especially the damage she caused to your home. Did she at least call/text to let you know she had broken items in your home?

ETA: If this is a troll thread, I rescind my advice. Just break up with her.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    do you have a blacklight?

Weird_guy_this.gif
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I don't know what to tell you except: buy new sheets. And towels. And kitchen towels. And curtains.....
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    I think everyone here is underestimating the cat.
  • srslybritt
    Options
    I don't know what to tell you except: buy new sheets. And towels. And kitchen towels. And curtains.....

Don't forget replacing the carpet and duvets.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options

Don't forget a new toothbrush.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    How about the jello? Was the jello missing? The whipped cream?
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have no advice to give however, I do have a similar story-

My boss, his two boys and his mother went out of town for a week earlier this month and he asked his friend and his daughters to feed and care for his sons' hamsters while they were out of town.

The returned home to find one dead hamster and the other roaming around the house-- his friends excuse "I fell asleep on the couch and the girls were playing with them"
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    You are (still) not clear about the job description, so I'm wondering if you made it clear to her. Is she a housesitter, or a cat feeder? The housesitter stays in your house, the cat feeder feeds the cat. Also, did you arrive back on schefule, or earlier than she expected? Sometimes things are just miscommunication. If the friendship is worth it, forgive and forget, and don't ask her for favors again?
  • srslybritt
    Options
    ETA: If this is a troll thread, I rescind my advice. Just break up with her.

giphy.gif