Here are some of my tips!

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    And to post yet again and for the last time, I was not trying to promote my tips as weight loss ONLY. I was also trying to promote HEALTH. Eating at night obviously causes your body to work more to process this food when your body should be focusing on sleep only. Yeah yeah yeah you eat tons of ice cream and then pass out and lose weight, this will never and has never worked for me. Since pursuing my tips, not only have I lost 60 lbs but my skin, hair, nails, teeth, and energy levels have never been better. This is what works for me and might work for you if you've NEVER tried it. How would you know?? How would you know if your body reacts to this method better if you've ALWAYS eaten at night? You don't even know the difference.

You posted antidotal evidence of what worked for you as fact. Your better skin, hair etc could all be caused by the weight loss.

How do you know that eating at night wouldn't improve your health? Maybe ice cream before bed is just what you need to lose the last 10lbs.

I suggest you try to learn from the very very smart people on these boards instead of insisting that you must be right. Your in a plateau. So clearly your tips are not working for you now. Doesn't that say something?

I have done that. I did that for years and gained a ton of weight. So yes I am speaking from experience that eating at night does not work for me. I am at a plateau but I believe that's more to do with needing to change my exercise regime vs my diet.

no, a plateau = eating at maitenance...exercise is for health anyway not weight loss...that is what a deficit is for.

and based on your previous ED I would say you have traded one obssession for another...non refined, organic gmo...really? good luck with that even me who grows a lot of veggies in the summer knows they are gmo...
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    And to post yet again and for the last time, I was not trying to promote my tips as weight loss ONLY. I was also trying to promote HEALTH. Eating at night obviously causes your body to work more to process this food when your body should be focusing on sleep only. Yeah yeah yeah you eat tons of ice cream and then pass out and lose weight, this will never and has never worked for me. Since pursuing my tips, not only have I lost 60 lbs but my skin, hair, nails, teeth, and energy levels have never been better. This is what works for me and might work for you if you've NEVER tried it. How would you know?? How would you know if your body reacts to this method better if you've ALWAYS eaten at night? You don't even know the difference.

You posted antidotal evidence of what worked for you as fact. Your better skin, hair etc could all be caused by the weight loss.

How do you know that eating at night wouldn't improve your health? Maybe ice cream before bed is just what you need to lose the last 10lbs.

I suggest you try to learn from the very very smart people on these boards instead of insisting that you must be right. Your in a plateau. So clearly your tips are not working for you now. Doesn't that say something?

I have done that. I did that for years and gained a ton of weight. So yes I am speaking from experience that eating at night does not work for me. I am at a plateau but I believe that's more to do with needing to change my exercise regime vs my diet.
    if the bolded statement is what you really think then unfortunately you'll probably remain at a plateau for awhile. diet is for losing weight, exercise is for health and fitness (and yes i realize the end game for most is good health alongside losing weight)
  • paulaaah
    paulaaah Posts: 60
    Options

Your body can sleep and process food. I am not seeing how that is unhealthy.

Changed your tune now however - before you were touting these 'tips' as fact for weight loss.

There is nothing wrong with making a post on what works/ed for you. What you will be pulled up on is making incorrect statements about 'facts'. Weight loss can be hard for many people - do not make it harder by making it more complicated than it needs to be.

I just said I was promoting my tips for both. But not just strictly weight loss. And yes it can, I never said your body couldn't. I just said your body should be trying to focus on resting only at that time. Obviously it is capable of doing both. My tips arent a "if you don't do this you will fail" but a "this might work better for you, it did for me" it's not black and white.
  • paulaaah
    paulaaah Posts: 60
    Options

no, a plateau = eating at maitenance...exercise is for health anyway not weight loss...that is what a deficit is for.

and based on your previous ED I would say you have traded one obssession for another...non refined, organic gmo...really? good luck with that even me who grows a lot of veggies in the summer knows they are gmo...

Exercise can definitely contribute to weight loss and health but okay. And as far as the GMO thing, I can't control that but I hope that the organic produce I buy has significantly less chemicals and pesticides than regular produce.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Your body can sleep and process food. I am not seeing how that is unhealthy.

Changed your tune now however - before you were touting these 'tips' as fact for weight loss.

There is nothing wrong with making a post on what works/ed for you. What you will be pulled up on is making incorrect statements about 'facts'. Weight loss can be hard for many people - do not make it harder by making it more complicated than it needs to be.

I just said I was promoting my tips for both. But not just strictly weight loss. And yes it can, I never said your body couldn't. I just said your body should be trying to focus on resting only at that time. Obviously it is capable of doing both. My tips arent a "if you don't do this you will fail" but a "this might work better for you, it did for me" it's not black and white.

I suggest you read your own OP and your own posts on the first page.

Also, you did not answer the question as to what is unhealthy about processing food and sleeping at the same time.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Good sugesstions.
    #2 for me eating pass seven is a must since I go to bed pretty late. I was told eat three hours before bedtime.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Here are my tips.

1. Eat real food. The food you intend to eat for the rest of your life. Not a "diet." There are no magic supplements. There are no magic combinations. There are no taboo foods (unless you have allergies). You'll learn to put more vegetables on your plate and limit your portions of calorie dense foods just to meet your calorie goals, which is what you need to do to lose weight and sustain it over the long haul.

2. Exercise. You'll be able to eat more at a minimum. There are lots of other reasons to exercise. What exercise? Whatever. Just do it. Do it now. Get off the couch.

3. Drink lots of stuff without alcohol in it. Water is great. So are other things. Just dump the liquid into your body in great quantities on a regular basis. Most of us walk around half dehydrated most of the time. You feel better when you're not dehydrated. Oh, and a big glass of some liquid is filling in its own way and takes the edge off of hunger or, more commonly, just the nearly insatiable desire to snack.

Bottom line: eat less and exercise and drink more.

Well said
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    no, a plateau = eating at maintenance...exercise is for health anyway not weight loss...that is what a deficit is for.

I agree. I've read posts from people who talk about 6-10 months-long plateaus :noway:
    This totally implies maintenance to me when it's going on for that long.
  • jobean12
    jobean12 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Appreciate the support and info!! Agree with your post.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    This is what has worked for me personally over the course of losing 60 lbs. It is not a lie or myth that you do not burn as many calories while sleeping as opposed to being awake. I have no idea how any of you actually don't believe that putting organic produce in your body isn't better than refined processed food and e.) sugar. The amount of times I eat a day has proven effective in my case but everyone is different. 5-6 small meals a day keeps my metabolism high as opposed to 3 large meals. The benefits of green tea are not minimal because it does give one energy, speed up the metabolism, and is great for the skin. Ginger tea helps digestion. But that was just a tip, I personally love tea so that was my suggestion. These were TIPS, like for someone who has hit a wall and wants to experiment with other methods. Also, this doesn't have to be directed for strictly weight loss, this is about health. If you want to see a change in your skin, hair, and overall energy, YES cutting out refined processed food and white bread/pasta will do this for you. (Example: eating fresh fruit as opposed to a slice of pie or using stevia or honey instead of sugars. Or even using fresh organic spinach instead of iceberg lettuce. It does make a difference No, I am not an expert, I was simply trying to offer different methods to achieve your goals.
    bold
    Myth I used to think this was true but it is not.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Pro-tip: There are people who live clean and HEALTHY their entire lives and still die at 30. There are people who do things UNHEALTHY and live over 100. The health argument is tired and old
  • smetka01
    smetka01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Here are my tips.

1. Eat real food. The food you intend to eat for the rest of your life. Not a "diet." There are no magic supplements. There are no magic combinations. There are no taboo foods (unless you have allergies). You'll learn to put more vegetables on your plate and limit your portions of calorie dense foods just to meet your calorie goals, which is what you need to do to lose weight and sustain it over the long haul.

2. Exercise. You'll be able to eat more at a minimum. There are lots of other reasons to exercise. What exercise? Whatever. Just do it. Do it now. Get off the couch.

3. Drink lots of stuff without alcohol in it. Water is great. So are other things. Just dump the liquid into your body in great quantities on a regular basis. Most of us walk around half dehydrated most of the time. You feel better when you're not dehydrated. Oh, and a big glass of some liquid is filling in its own way and takes the edge off of hunger or, more commonly, just the nearly insatiable desire to snack.

Bottom line: eat less and exercise and drink more.

This!
    I tried to eat only healthy food but got nowhere. As said, it is to hard to eat vegetables when there is a cake on a birthday party. Because of those parties and/or visits I started eating as I was before I started with diet.
    Now I eat what ever I want as long as I am in my calorie limit.

And exercise is the best. That's how I get to eat more :) I don't binge anymore, I eat more fruits and vegetables but I still eat ice cream, chocolate and cookies if I am under calorie limit.

One tip from me: put planed exercise in MFP in the morning with all the rest. I usually eat calories from exercise till evening so I am forced to exercise even on lazy days if I don't want to see red numbers ;)
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Truly was not trying to over complicate anything for anyone. I was trying to offer tips to anyone who is stuck and perhaps trying to take it to the next level. Weight loss has been known to plateau if your body gets used to a certain action.
    I wasn't going to say anything but I think you found my last nerve. I haven't lost any weight for a couple of weeks...and I know some of my friends think I eat too much "junk" like Ghiardelli or Godiva dark chocolate (which is actually very nutritious and good for you).

OK, my scale weight has not gone down (so freaking WHAT), but my body fat % has, and so have my inches...and I might have even gained some newbie lifting muscle. There is not a darn thing wrong with what I am doing, I meet my macros and then if I want what you consider "junk" food, I eat it. I look in the mirror and see the fat and the muscle and where I am gaining and losing very realistically, but that is me. I really do love and accept myself the way I am, and I really want a healthy body, where I see fat, there REALLY is fat, but that is not true for many on here who look in the mirror and see fat where there is none, and I am not sure posts like yours are serving them.

There are more people with eating disorders on this site than I have ever seen in my life anywhere else. There are so many people thinking if they eat 1201 calories in a day they will not lose weight, who are starving themselves while they lose muscle and some are even courting organ damage. I am glad what works for you worked for you, I drink green and ginger teas sometimes too, but if there is something I really want, I let myself have it if it fits my macros. Yesterday I even had a "cheat" day, although I didn't even eat (what I think is) my maintenance, I had about 2000 calories.

You know, this whole idea that you have to do this or do that instead of finding what works for a SUSTAINABLE weight loss for you as an individual is just wrong, what worked for you worked for you, does not mean it is best for anybody else. CICO applies to all of us, but after that, we figure out how we can make this trip and not get off the train.

I am getting really ticked off at these people who act like scale weight is god. Lift some weights and get some tone to your body. If you want to make something a "God", make it being "toned" truly toned, with lots of muscle. Skinny fat is not "healthy" you know.

I am thanking God I got out of the scale weight and low calorie mindset, and am doing the things that will actually help me achieve my goals and keep them in the long run.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    And I also meant to say, a plateau is not a plateau if you are progressing. I have less body fat, and I have lost inches, therefore I have progressed, regardless of what the scale says...I am also one heck of a lot stronger and I don't just mean physically but in every way, since I started this journey.

I really have to thank MFP for that.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

I get that your tips worked for you - we all have our individual tips that work for us.

Where you went wrong I think is when you worded your tips 'You have to do this or that' which then came across as requirements for everybody.

I must say I have followed none of your tips - I never drink smoothies, I drink diet soda, I don't preplan meal,I eat at all times, including right before bed time, I never drink green tea or ginger tea.

Amazingly I have lost weight ( aprox rate of 1 kg per month, far from rapidly) .

Perhaps I will post some of my tips.

Nibble on dried apricots whilst posting on iPad late at night
    Feed the dog just before eating your own dinner
    Hang your clothes on the clothesline before going to work
    Sleep with 2 pillows.

Now, whilst it is true I did all of these whilst losing weight, they may or may not have any correlation to my weight loss.
    Bit like drinking ginger tea - sure, you did it whilst losing weight - but that doesn't directly make it a weight loss tip for you, let alone for everyone else.

Quoting this because I think it got lost in the shuffle. This is absolutely the point.

Correlation =/= Causation

Just because you were doing certain things while you were losing weight doesn't mean that those things are what caused you to lose the weight. A caloric deficit is what caused you to lose the weight.

Everything else is just noise and confuses people.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Im happy you all eat processed sugary/salty foods and still manage to lose weight. You all must be so proud. I will stick with my organic non-GMO, unrefined lifestyle and teas as I up my exercise regime and see what happens.

If you're at a deficit you'll lose.

If at a surplus you'll gain.

If at what it takes to maintain you'll do neither.

Mystery solved
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

No, it you're at a "plateau", you're eating too much and/or not burning enough. Try swapping out that 200-400 calorie shake for a 100 snack pack of Oreos and your plateau will be over!
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Don't take this the wrong way but you said these tips are what have worked for you but if you are in a plateau obviously they are not working...

A plateau simply means you are no longer eating in a deficit. Maybe you need to recalculate your deficit, maybe you have not been logging correctly, maybe you are not burning as many calories as you think during exercise, I don't know. You have to figure that out. But the reason you are at a plateau is simply because you are eating at maintenance. If these "tips" work for you then great, carry on. But none of them must be done in order to lose weight. The only thing "absolutely" required for weight loss to occur is a calorie deficit.

As far as health is concerned there are a million differing opinions about what is healthy. But again none of these things will matter for weight loss if a calorie deficit is not present.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

No, it you're at a "plateau", you're eating too much and/or not burning enough. Try swapping out that 200-400 calorie shake for a 100 snack pack of Oreos and your plateau will be over!

but what about her HEALTH?
This discussion has been closed.