Women Lifting Heavy and being Bulky....................

Options

Replies

• greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Hehehe... My boyfriend actually caught me flexing while I was kitchen. :embarassed: I hadn't seen that muscle before!! I was so excited!! When he asked me what I was doing, I turned and said "Check out my guns!"

Yep, I went there.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    At this point I am looking no longer overweight which I am pleased about but I still fat covering my definition and low enough muscle mass that I am not particularly impressed by my flexed physique. Not that depressed by that, just something to work towards but yeah nothing really to share to speak of just yet.
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I want to be bulky so bad and yes, I spend a stupid amount of time flexing lol

2zs1eds.jpg

ok, ma'am, you are going into my Liftspiration folder. ^_^ If I can get my bingo wings to look half that awesome, life will be sweet.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I sometimes like to flex my muscles and pose in the mirror (usually before my shower). My husband likes when I am moving around naturally and he can see my muscles flexing.
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm primarily a runner, but I also lift heavy (well, heavy for ME!), and I am embarrassed to admit that I stare at my abs in the mirror more than I should. I was a little bit flabby in the mid-section before, but now I have the beginnings of some muscle definition (which is HARD after 4 kids and an undying devotion to junk food and beer :drinker: LOL)

I'm not as ripped as these ladies on this thread, not even close, but lifting has definitely improved the way my body looks. My stomach looks nicer NOW than when I was a teenager.

If only I could convince my husband to start lifting with me... I tried playfully teasing him, that his tiny 5'3 wife can outmuscle him, but he just thinks that hot, instead of accepting my challenge LOL
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I still have too much fat on my arms to have impressive biceps or triceps, but that doesn't keep me from flexing all the time.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    My arms are super veiny (abnormally?) so I love to curl in the mirror and watch the veins pop.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My arms are super veiny (abnormally?) so I love to curl in the mirror and watch the veins pop.

Veiny forearms are the easiest way to spot some one who is fit. Biceps, shoulders, legs are generally hidden by clothing, but forearms... Me likey.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Tried to fix someone image link. It did not work.
  • lucygoesrawr
    lucygoesrawr Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I do, with my arms at least. I'm doing what I can, but I don't lift anything as heavy as others seem to... but just being able to see MUSCLE there that I didn't even know how to tense before is brilliant :D Quite proud, really...

And to the people who posted pictures - you look wonderful :) Very inspirational.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I don't flex after working out (I don't lift for hypertrophy specifically), but I do get a kick out of certain muscles showing - my obliques and delts are a couple of examples, (I would like a better tricep cut) but my favorite ones are my tensor fascia latae (I think itss that one and am not sure of the plural for it). Possibly oddly, I hardly ever flex my biceps unless specifically taking a pic of them or joking about them being 'bulky'.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I spend more time flexing in the mirror than I should admit to. I'm also a bodybuilder and spend lots of time practicing the poses.

Girl, with abs like those, you can flex as much as you want. :love:

As for the OP -- I don't specifically flex a lot, but I do love the pumped feeling in my biceps and triceps after a good arm-related workout.

I've also loved my calves and thighs my whole life. I don't carry much fat in my extremities, so my calves are nearly all lean. When I still lived on a rather steep hill, my favorite time was when I was shaving my legs, because it really showed the definition I had in my calves. :glasses:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Flexing is definately an art form...to get them to show in their best "light" so to speak...

I am not an artist..not many pics of me flexing...I have a body builder friend who is suppose to "teach" me some stuff the next time I see him...but until then...mostly mirror for me...until I take my one year of lifting pics...

I will have to remember the tip for "downward" angle with the camera...

ETA: was flexing in my office at work:blushing: ...checking my tricep which I wish looked better...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Veiny forearms are the easiest way to spot some one who is fit. Biceps, shoulders, legs are generally hidden by clothing, but forearms... Me likey.

I like them as well. Definitely not complaining. Chics seem to dig them. My calves ( or bulls, as I call them) have a ton of veins as well so I like looking at those, too. Now if I could just get rid of the remaining belly fat!!!! Argh!!!!
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I'm not normally an attention wh*re, but I'm bored today
    IMG_20130805_222824_zps49abba1a.jpg
    IMG_20130803_135317_zps3ef17f41.jpg

/drool

It's pics like yours that make me consider taking up body building or competition fitness modeling, instead of "just" powerlifting. I'm still a looong way off from that, though. I'll get there if/when I can get some underlying endocrine/metabolic issues tamed. *fingers crossed*
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    I know some women worry about being bulky, this will NOT happen without testosterone and much more work than most are willing to do.

Um actually genetics DO play a role. It IS possible (without testosterone), just unlikely based on the majority population.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I spend more time flexing in the mirror than I should admit to. I'm also a bodybuilder and spend lots of time practicing the poses.

Haha I would never leave the mirror if I had your physique!

^^^^^This I have to admit also :love: :blushing:

I'm confused. So are you saying women can't get bulky?

They could but it would be extremely difficult and require hormones most likely. It is extremely hard for men to bulk, for women (we lack a significant percentage of the testosterone men have) it is never an accident. On MFP we hear women all the time stating they won't lift because they may bulk up...... look at usmc or alloutofbubblegum, they lift heavy and are tiny (not flexed), hot and feminine. Same with the other women posting here. Look at Sarauk2sf profile, she lifts extremely heavy and is very feminine and not in the least bulky.

Don't forget JoRocka!
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Don't forget JoRocka!

Now I have to go stalk someone :noway:
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Hell to the yeah! I like having muscles and flexing them.

I'd love my muscles to be bigger - I'm at a genetic advantage when it comes to muscles due to having a large frame, yet it still takes so much lifting and eating at a surplus just to add half an inch here and there to my muscles. Really, there's *no* danger of getting bulky by accident!

[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3080188/gun show.png[/img]

I think MFP is screwing with the encoding of the space in your file name. Here's the link for the image:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3080188/gun show.png

ETA - Haha! I was able to fix it! (Pro tip -- if MFP borks an IMG and you know the link is correct, look for that "%20" and replace it with a space. "gun%20show" becomes "gun show")
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Don't forget JoRocka!

Now I have to go stalk someone :noway:

If you're gonna go stalking, MireyGal is where the inspiration's at!