Women Lifting Heavy and being Bulky....................

Options

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    These were taken in January, just before I got pregnant:

[img][/img]DSC_0163_zps63fe4c31.jpg

[img][/img]b6bb486d-6de4-4064-b562-facd05dca1e0_zps6bef17d8.jpg

And just for fun, one taken at 4 months pregnant:

[img][/img]bfd1bf22-dc6d-4d2e-937d-fb0eea80d481_zpsbe68706a.jpg
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I want to be bulky so bad and yes, I spend a stupid amount of time flexing lol

ok, ma'am, you are going into my Liftspiration folder. ^_^ If I can get my bingo wings to look half that awesome, life will be sweet.

♡ Aaaw thank you! Made ma day
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I am a hairstylist so i see my arms all day in the mirror. I. used to hate that but now id wear tank tops but i don't think pits are what my clients want to see.0723141426_zpswrcvyrpz.jpg
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I don't flex after working out (I don't lift for hypertrophy specifically), but I do get a kick out of certain muscles showing - my obliques and delts are a couple of examples, (I would like a better tricep cut) but my favorite ones are my tensor fascia latae (I think itss that one and am not sure of the plural for it). Possibly oddly, I hardly ever flex my biceps unless specifically taking a pic of them or joking about them being 'bulky'.

I look forward to the day I can see my gracilis, that's a major fat storage area for me though, so may or may not happen.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add those arms are almost 54 yrs old. Still got some bat wing but i dont think its as obvious.
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Oh, I am a shameless flexer! Just ask me and I'll pop my arm out so fast it will poke your eye out! LOL! I've got to stop that :)
    I do spend an awful lot of time admiring all my hard work even though I still have so far to go.
    My upper body is coming along nicely and a little bit of abs are starting to show. I have to use a magnifying glass for my legs...to much fat yet. It just pushes me to keep working.
    USMC (maybe I got that wrong) but you make me drool in a purely heterosexual way! You are hotness defined!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I know some women worry about being bulky, this will NOT happen without testosterone and much more work than most are willing to do.

Um actually genetics DO play a role. It IS possible (without testosterone), just unlikely based on the majority population.

The way genetics play a role is by how much testosterone a woman produces. We do produces testosterone (and need it), but in much smaller amounts than men. Even a woman who has higher testosterone levels naturally would need to do proper lifting work and eating at a surplus with plenty of protein to gain any appreciable muscle. Even men need to do that.

No woman is going to accidentally look like a body builder if she lifts something heavy.
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    89644d1400376867-my-sharpness-test-results-tamron-150-600-yodapic.jpg

I'm not normally an attention wh*re, but I'm bored today
    IMG_20130805_222824_zps49abba1a.jpg
    IMG_20130803_135317_zps3ef17f41.jpg
    LOL, I was actually thinking of you when I saw this post :)

VERY NICE!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Melissa_mojo
    Melissa_mojo Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    How can someone get to this point? I am a newbie to lifting and not sure what to do in the gym
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I don't flex after working out (I don't lift for hypertrophy specifically), but I do get a kick out of certain muscles showing - my obliques and delts are a couple of examples, (I would like a better tricep cut) but my favorite ones are my tensor fascia latae (I think itss that one and am not sure of the plural for it). Possibly oddly, I hardly ever flex my biceps unless specifically taking a pic of them or joking about them being 'bulky'.

I look forward to the day I can see my gracilis, that's a major fat storage area for me though, so may or may not happen.

I like that one too - but only can see it at certain angles because I have too much fat there myself. The same with quads/hammies. I can see some definition, but only at certain angles and none that I can quite capture via photo - most of my body fat sits on my *kitten*, backs of my thighs and my knees (hence not being able to see quad muscles even though they are very developed.
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I started lifting heavy last September. I did my first ( intentional) bulk over the winter and I can't stop looking at my butt from the side view. It sits higher and doesn't blend into the back of my legs. I find it fascinating that it is mine! ETA......love this post OP....thank you
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    IMG_20130803_135317_zps3ef17f41.jpg

Havent seen that one before!

shocked.gif:flowerforyou:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I tried to get a new one in the work bathroom but the lighting makes it look like I have hairy pits, so here's an old one (with a 'meh' bicep flex).

46172cdbb07fb5336b9ea95bc200bb02a130.jpg
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    How can someone get to this point? I am a newbie to lifting and not sure what to do in the gym

Maybe look into New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women, Stronglifts 5x5

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

or I like this one:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/373801-two-day-full-body-strength-training-routine
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

I like that one too - but only can see it at certain angles because I have too much fat there myself. The same with quads/hammies. I can see some definition, but only at certain angles and none that I can quite capture via photo - most of my body fat sits on my *kitten*, backs of my thighs and my knees (hence not being able to see quad muscles even though they are very developed.

Mine is ALL in my gut and the VERY tops of my thighs, but somehow not in my hips or butt, I sometimes think my body is very confused.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I know some women worry about being bulky, this will NOT happen without testosterone and much more work than most are willing to do.

Um actually genetics DO play a role. It IS possible (without testosterone), just unlikely based on the majority population.

The way genetics play a role is by how much testosterone a woman produces. We do produces testosterone (and need it), but in much smaller amounts than men. Even a woman who has higher testosterone levels naturally would need to do proper lifting work and eating at a surplus with plenty of protein to gain any appreciable muscle. Even men need to do that.

No woman is going to accidentally look like a body builder if she lifts something heavy.

This x1000. Lol at, "I accidentally got supah bulky." This even applies to men but doubly so for women. If a person doesn't want to lift because it's a personal preference, that's fine but they shouldn't use the "I don't want to get bulky," cliche as an excuse.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Become a "flex wh*re" now added to my list of things to do. :blushing:
  • Melissa_mojo
    Melissa_mojo Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Maybe look into New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women, Stronglifts 5x5

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

or I like this one:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/373801-two-day-full-body-strength-training-routine

Thank you i will look now ladies you look fab and cant wait to hopefully one day be at your level!
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Ladies...

I'm very overweight, but I am starting to see some definition in my arms when I flex now. My legs have always been muscular (comes from walking miles with a 20KG child on your back I guess!), but I'm only really just noticing that now.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Oh, some women can bulk up. I flex a bit.