POLL: Have you ever have a mouse in your house?

Replies

• angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Several times. We live in the country and there is always one that thinks it would be a great idea to try to spend the Winter in here. The indoor cats are very good mousers as are the outdoor cats so I don't know where they get those ideas.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    One night my husband woke me up saying there was a rat in the kitchen.

It was a tiny little mouse. I threw it outside.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    When I was a kid in the farmhouse, my sister found a mouse with babies, took them to her closet, gave them a shoe box that she decorated, some newspaper, and a couple old socks. My mom was not very happy to clean the closet and find an entire family of mice living in a decorated shoe box.
  • ink_b1tch
    ink_b1tch Posts: 101
    Moved out of my home to a new area, when I went back to check on the house it was infested, they had even chewed through the appliance wires.

"I will not eat them in a house, i will not eat them with a mouse,i will not eat them in a box i will not eat them with a fox, i will not eat them here of there i will not eat them anywhere, I do not like green eggs and ham i do not like them sam i am"
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Yup....got a cat. The little *kitten* was a mouse sympathizer though. On the upside, the mouse started eating the cat's food, and left mine alone, so I didn't break the team up. Now I'm married...my wife is significantly less accepting of inter-species couples. No mice no longer. (But no cat anymore either so...)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I'm surprised that people say you wouldn't know. The time I knew I had a mouse, it was quite evident. It left a mess everywhere, made a hole between cupboards, chew open the bag of bread on the counter. And I saw him.
    Y'all must have covert mice.
    I ended up with a room mate who had cats, which solved the mouse problem. Only thing is he didn't fix the cats, one sprayed all over the basement and one had kittens in the box of Christmas decorations in the basement. I'm not sure the mouse was the worse of the two. It's hard to sell a house with a basement full of cat spray.
  • Christi132
    Christi132 Posts: 67 Member
    Yes! I HATE mice! Spiders, bats and snakes don't creep me out at all, but it seems that mice show up in my house at the absolute worse times. I now have extreme nausea with just the thought of mice.
  • red66stang
    red66stang Posts: 38
    We trapped two mice when we first moved into our house. They were coming in from the cutout in the floor behind the stove where the propane line came in. A little spray foam in the hole fixed the problem. Also got a good outdoor cat so now the only mice I see around the house are the dead ones he drops off at our doorstep.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Never a mouse, but I have had 3 bats. Mice with wings??
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Yes, but the poor thing didn't last long although I did try to rescue it and toss it outside... My cat is a good mouser.

:laugh:

It really cracks me up when people try to "rescue" the moue or use have-a-heart traps. You realize that they're going to run right back into your house right? They're not going to say to their little mouse selves "Oopsie! I guess they don't want me here!"

OP: Yes, we have mice and I HATE them. There is nothing worse than going into your towel drawer or your flatware drawer and find it filled with mouse poop. We have traps set every where and we celebrate when we catch one. (we actually had a day where we caught 8 in the span of a couple of days!)

ETA: And who ever coined the phrase "quiet as a mouse" has never had one running around in their attic at 2 in the morning.
  • Yes! It was just chillin', watching TV with us! Threw a bucket over it, scooped it up, and back outdoors he went, post haste!
  • Kakibot
    Kakibot Posts: 29 Member
    Yes and so did my best friend. At least my cat kept it hiding most of the time.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Yes! It was just chillin', watching TV with us! Threw a bucket over it, scooped it up, and back outdoors he went, post haste!

Then turned around and ran right back into your house the way he got in originally.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Yes, after we had a new stove delivered.

Why am I so insanely grossed out at a dead one in a trap, yet I have no problems holding one as a pet???
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    A couple years ago, we could hear one scurrying around in the ceiling of my man cave. Couldn't locate it. Drove me and my wife's cat bonkers. Got some industrial strength poision and put it at various places in what I thought might be the mouse's path.

Was a little concerned that it would die up there and we would have a bad stench.

The scurrying noises ended in about two weeks and no stench. Must've left the premises to die.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    We've always had cats which has kept them limited but they still come. We are the end house in a row of 4 built in the 1860's so no keeping them out. In fact when a house 2 doors up underwent a big reno including digging out the basement it drew rats out of the sewer system (not an uncommon occurrence apparently) they invaded the neighbours first, who had an exterminator in and put out poison. they came through the walls to our place to die . hell of a racket from rats and far more destructive. thankfully that issue has been resolved . Mice however are persistent (as are Squirrels and Raccoons and Possums)
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Yes and put it's head on a stick to warn other meeces to stay away!
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Yep! They're a nuisance. We're not allowed pets, else we'd have a cat too. And I hate cats.

We had them when I was around 7-8 months pregnant, and one decided to join us in bed. Honestly, you have never seen a heavily pregnant woman move so fast. I literally flew out of bed, hurdling over my other half.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Yes and it give me the creeps just thinking about it!
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Yes, many times! I don't mind them as much as bats (my attic apartment had them), or snakes! I had baby garter snakes in the basement one year. That was the worst!