POLL: Have you ever have a mouse in your house?

Options
123457»

Replies

• maryanndambrogio
    maryanndambrogio Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    look for me on f.b. and join me in some fun games.... :laugh: :happy: :wink: :smile: :happy: :smokin: :devil: :heart: :smooched: :drinker: :bigsmile: :blushing:
  • olehcat
    olehcat Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    yes, in the last place I lived, my cats killed a few mice over the years (old house). Now that I live in a newer place with no mice, I think my cats are bored out of their minds...:)
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    No. I did have a grouse in my blouse though, and once, a bee in my bonnet.
  • jzieger1
    jzieger1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Every week we have a wildlife Wednesday when our cat would bring in an animal from the wild. It got smart and figured out if it dropped the mouse in the bathtub, it couldn't get away and could play with it for as long as it wanted to.
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Ohio I lived in this one house and in the 20 some odd years I had never had a mouse, well with the exception of about 4 years ago when I saw signs of a mouse and thought okay I'll put a trap or two out and get the little sucker. Killed two that night so I put more traps out and every night I killed two or three. By the time I quit killing them I had murdered over 50 of those thangs. I was ready to move out and just let them have the damn house. It was horrible. I lived there 4 more years and never had another mouse in that house. Now I live in MS in the woods and I've killed 4. I keep a trap bated and ready every night. And I moved into the place with roaches. I was pissed. But now even those are gone. I don't take kindly to creepy crawlies in my humble abode. Everyone said you can't kill the roaches just move. Excuse me I'm broke now so I got to do something else and moving isn't an option. So I've killed all the roaches and the mice when they come to visit. It's not a shame to have them, the shame comes in keeping them.

Well they are partially correct-- my stepdad works for a pest control company-- when I lived in my apt we had roaches in the bathroom and kitchen, baby ones. He said that when there are baby roaches in your place they are more than likely in your walls. The only way to get rid of them is with aggressive pest control. If you live in an apt, good luck with getting rid of them, most places won't do the aggressive treatment at all--because its too expensive. Within the first 6 months of living in my complex I called them 6-9 times to treat my place, it did no good, they kept coming back. If they are larger ones, you may just need to bait your place and have pest control done on a regular basis. They could just be coming from outside due to weather, mostly rain.

And as for Mice-- my brother and stepdad will set up a gauntlet of bait and traps. Those poor little things don't stand a chance there!
  • summer92008
    summer92008 Posts: 202
    Options
    I haven't had one at my house, but we have at my boyfriend's. There was a cute little tiny mouse that would sneak into the living room with us. It began to get comfortable with us and would come to the dog food bowl 3 feet from us, to sneak a few pieces and take back to wherever it lived. I really didn't mind it - it wasn't a "rat" and it didn't seem to be hurting us, so I let it go. I saw no reason to kill the poor thing. However, I haven't seen it in a couple months, so I'm assuming it died. But at least I know that while it did live, it was in a warm house during the winter with dog food to eat and wasn't threatened by any larger animals (the dogs were fascinated by it - they would just sit there and watch it eat their food lol).

What can I say - I love animals, all animals. I couldn't even bring myself to hurt a mouse.
  • summer92008
    summer92008 Posts: 202
    Options
    When I lived in Ohio I lived in this one house and in the 20 some odd years I had never had a mouse, well with the exception of about 4 years ago when I saw signs of a mouse and thought okay I'll put a trap or two out and get the little sucker. Killed two that night so I put more traps out and every night I killed two or three. By the time I quit killing them I had murdered over 50 of those thangs. I was ready to move out and just let them have the damn house. It was horrible. I lived there 4 more years and never had another mouse in that house. Now I live in MS in the woods and I've killed 4. I keep a trap bated and ready every night. And I moved into the place with roaches. I was pissed. But now even those are gone. I don't take kindly to creepy crawlies in my humble abode. Everyone said you can't kill the roaches just move. Excuse me I'm broke now so I got to do something else and moving isn't an option. So I've killed all the roaches and the mice when they come to visit. It's not a shame to have them, the shame comes in keeping them.

We had neighbors that moved away and in the process, it seemed their roaches came to our house. We had never had anything in the house like that, so it really grossed us out. We have dogs, so we didn't want to sit out anything that could kill them or even hurt them. So I looked up natural remedies. Here is what you do - it completely worked!

Mix baking soda and sugar in an even ratio. Set a little bit out in aluminium foil all over your house - we put it under kitchen/bathroom sinks, under beds, closets, etc. Within a week or so, they were gone. We keep the mixutre out and we have yet to see one since. That's been a couple years ago now. They say that the sugar draws them in to eat the mixture and the baking soda causes them to get gas. Apparantley, roaches can't get rid of gas and they pretty much explode. I don't know if this explanation is true, but I know that the mixture completely worked, it's all natural, and it won't hurt kids/animals if they come in contact with it. It's cheap to make, too, so you might as well give it a try! :happy:
  • maphammonds
    maphammonds Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Yes, 3 cats, a dog and a husband...and I'm the one who caught it. It was actually kinda cute and my daughter wanted to keep it...but we didn't!!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Not in my current one... Our cats and the dog are pretty good at scaring those critters off.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Just gotta gripe for a moment ;-) This thread caused me to have one mother of a nightmare last night that my home was infested with not only mice, but raccoons, squirrels, and stray dogs.

Thankfully no snakes though.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options

We had neighbors that moved away and in the process, it seemed their roaches came to our house. We had never had anything in the house like that, so it really grossed us out. We have dogs, so we didn't want to sit out anything that could kill them or even hurt them. So I looked up natural remedies. Here is what you do - it completely worked!

Mix baking soda and sugar in an even ratio. Set a little bit out in aluminium foil all over your house - we put it under kitchen/bathroom sinks, under beds, closets, etc. Within a week or so, they were gone. We keep the mixutre out and we have yet to see one since. That's been a couple years ago now. They say that the sugar draws them in to eat the mixture and the baking soda causes them to get gas. Apparantley, roaches can't get rid of gas and they pretty much explode. I don't know if this explanation is true, but I know that the mixture completely worked, it's all natural, and it won't hurt kids/animals if they come in contact with it. It's cheap to make, too, so you might as well give it a try! :happy:

Thank you I will def. keep that in mind should I need more help killing them. We do live in the woods so it's entirely possible to get them again. Plus you can bring them in in your sacks of potatoes from the grocery store. Even in the paper bags if your store gives you those instead of plastic.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options

Well they are partially correct-- my stepdad works for a pest control company-- when I lived in my apt we had roaches in the bathroom and kitchen, baby ones. He said that when there are baby roaches in your place they are more than likely in your walls. The only way to get rid of them is with aggressive pest control. If you live in an apt, good luck with getting rid of them, most places won't do the aggressive treatment at all--because its too expensive. Within the first 6 months of living in my complex I called them 6-9 times to treat my place, it did no good, they kept coming back. If they are larger ones, you may just need to bait your place and have pest control done on a regular basis. They could just be coming from outside due to weather, mostly rain.

And as for Mice-- my brother and stepdad will set up a gauntlet of bait and traps. Those poor little things don't stand a chance there!

I live in a trailer with no one around me for a good bit. The people that just left must have had them. I wasn't infested with them so that was a plus. I mostly saw them outside on the wood deck. But did have them in the house. Yeah in apt. they are impossible to get rid of because everyone probably has them and not everyone is the best of housekeepers.
  • Melonpaul
    Melonpaul Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Yes, some have managed to escape with their lives...others not so lucky due to my parents cats