For those who weigh 300 pounds and up

Options

Replies

• rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    This was an obnoxious, offensive thread. Buh bye, founder.
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Rally, for me, it had a lot to do with genetics. My family is made up of big, German ancestry. All the men in my family are barrel chested and big limbed. We are all very strong by comparison to others naturally. As in, stronger than most and not needing to work for it. Along with a terrible diet for many years, and a growing amount of inactivity, it was easy to be this big. I played college football at 295, and was faster in 40 yards that some guys who weighed 50-60 pounds less. I'm sure genetics have played a big part in quite a few people who are this big.
    I am pretty much like this exactly, except I didn't play football..
    I was shy and anti-social, which drove me to entertain myself, however I never had any imagination so I would just play video games, and became addicted to that. Weekends I was playing 14+ hours a day, weekdays 4+ hours.
    So non existent activity, along with eating whatever I wanted.

And I honestly get where OP is coming with on this thread. I sometimes think the exact same thing to people who weigh 500+lbs.. I know it is being hypocritical. Some people gain weight easier than others (I also had friends who were playing same amount of video games as me, eating crappy like I was, and wasn't gaining a lb.... until 7 years later when it finally caught up to them)

Do you honestly think that we look at ourselves in the mirror and are proud/happy how we look? of course not. But just don't know what to do, how to get out of the rut, so depressing you just go for more food to make yourself feel better which it does in the short term, but is obviously the source of the problem in itself.

If there was ZERO repercussions of eating sugar all day long, grocery stores would be full of sweets and there would be no such thing as vegetables. Sugar tastes awesome. A lot of people have self control, some people don't.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    This was an obnoxious, offensive thread. Buh bye, founder.

How is this thread been obnoxious and offensive when all people do in here is offer support and ideas to each other and motivation to keep going to get out of the 300 pound weight range?

so in another words

PPOR
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    how did you get that big in first place? I am not trying to offend anyone ,I am just curious.for me,i am naturally curvy so whenever I stop working out and not watch my diet I gain weight until I reach a certain weight or look. probably around 160`s and I am 5`3 but I never gain more even if I don't go back to the gym. So I was wondering with people who end up gaiing up to 300 pounds, do they eat at least 5000 calories day to put on that much weight. This is just out of curiosity and I am sorry I offended anyone

I have always wondered about that too. I had a friend that weighed that much, and scratched my head over it, until I asked her about it. Her weight started out young with a mother who worked at a restaurant, who would bring home lots of food. She admitted that the way she grew up most food was fried in lard, and vegetables and fruits were not an item that was usually found in her house.

She eventually had weight loss surgery, but really didn't change anything with her foods, and or the way she learned to cook, and unfortunately her daughter picked up the same habits along with the weight. She sincerely regretted that.
  • hearthwood
    Options
    I currently weight 342. I think there are several factors that have led me to weigh this much...

1. body dysmorphia Whenever I look in the mirror, I see the same person, no matter what I weigh. I used to be underweight--and think I was incredibly overweight.

2. emotional eating: I was abused as a child, and food was one of the things my parents used. What I ate, how I ate, held my fork, etc. was always monitored and discussed at every meal. I was told I was fat from age 8--even though when I look back at photos, I was not fat at all. I was constantly told how fat I was, and that people would like me if I was just thinner. I was 5'8" and 120 lbs, so I'm not sure what they were talking about? I was also sexually abused.

I was date raped at 16, suffered from undiagnosed and untreated depression and anxiety. I went into my first deep depression in the fourth grade.

Food was this thing that I wasn't allowed to have, I couldn't even go to our family's refrigerator and get food out, and at the same time, it seemed to be the only thing that made me feel good inside.

As I grew older, I developed into a binge eater. It is the binges that can be attributed to my current weight. I can eat large quantities of food in one sitting--but only do this in private. So eating a dozen donuts or a whole birthday cake--that's nothing. So obviously when you're frequently bingeing, you're going to gain a lot of weight. 5000 calories a day? Easy!

Thank you for sharing, you're very courageous, which means you're well on your way to a happier much healthier you.

• hearthwood
    Options
    200.gif

I can imagine that when you say you are not trying to offend any one that you mean it but... Come on..

I thought the same thing....but I figured she just worded it badly. I'm sure she is just curious looking for things to avoid doing.

ORRRR maybe she just wants to hear all the fatties' stories. ******* WHY DOES A PERSON AT 160LBS CARE HOW SOMEONE ELSE GOT TO 300LBS? JUST SEEMS LIKE *kitten* KIND OF QUESTION. IJS

Just like what the other person said ,I just want to know what to avoid to gain that much weight. I know its possible for me to reach 300 lbs so that's why I want to know how others got there.this question is out of curisouty and I am glad not everyone is touchy about this subject as you guys.[/quote]

Morbid obesity is normally associated with what is going on with a person mentally. It's good to see that there are some who are answering your question, because that is the very first step one has to do to get on the right track to losing weight. When they're being open about it, and willing to talk about it, they are well on their way.

• hearthwood
    edited October 2014
    Options
    hearthwood wrote: »
    200.gif

I can imagine that when you say you are not trying to offend any one that you mean it but... Come on..

I thought the same thing....but I figured she just worded it badly. I'm sure she is just curious looking for things to avoid doing.

ORRRR maybe she just wants to hear all the fatties' stories. ******* WHY DOES A PERSON AT 160LBS CARE HOW SOMEONE ELSE GOT TO 300LBS? JUST SEEMS LIKE *kitten* KIND OF QUESTION. IJS

Just like what the other person said ,I just want to know what to avoid to gain that much weight. I know its possible for me to reach 300 lbs so that's why I want to know how others got there.this question is out of curisouty and I am glad not everyone is touchy about this subject as you guys.

Morbid obesity is normally associated with what is going on with a person mentally. It's good to see that there are some who are answering your question, because that is the very first step one has to do to get on the right track to losing weight. When they're being open about it, and willing to talk about it, they are well on their way.

[/quote]

No worries that is a question most are answering. The first step, is talking about how you got here, which most of us have done on this board. Regardless of how much weight one needs to lose. We all need to admit where the starting line is, and how we got there, so we can cross the finish line. It's healthy to talk about it.

The people who are reluctant and or are offended by this question may still have some denial issues going on.

• Sammie_B_
    Options
    Wow! What a question!! Why are 25 lbs over weight? There are so many factors in this. Lifestyle, genes, no matter the excuse it was my fault. I never learned to eat healthy. McDonald's is cheap, i've worked to hard today I'm lazy I don't want to cook. My whole family is very large. I love food if I'm happy or sad food made me feel good. I started my journey June 2013 weighing the heaviest I ever weighed 370 lbs. OMG! I felt hopeless! Today I weight 297lbs. That's a lot of weight gone! I have a long hard road ahead of me. <3
  • godswill206
    Options
    I'm a female endomorph
  • oarngesi
    oarngesi Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have been big my entire life, i.was 200 in 1st grade. I never played attention to calories always just add what ever i wanted though i never though about it at the time it wasn't uncommon for me to eat 3000+ calories in one meal. I currently eat about the same amount of food just way healthier.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I'd say not being aware, not paying enough attention, loving food, eating food, not exercising enough, family genetics, eat habits from childhood, medication, depression, etc...
  • vegasgyrl79971
    Options
    I was 300lbs at my heaviest and honestly I don' think it was one thing that got me there. I have always been heavy. I can't remember not being heavy. And over the years I guess I just stopped noticing the weight gain. As I entered my adult hood I noticed it more (dating...geez) and I did the diets and weight loss plans yada yada yada, and one day, watching Star Jones talk about having the surgery, and I decided that day to get the surgery done and it was the single most important thing Ive done in my life. But to get back to your question. I dont think it was one single thing, I just believe an unhealthy life style all together. I know I could put away some food, but I also have a very naturally thin brother and a few friends that can put more food away then I ever could. So its not always calories. But I believe that pack of oreos was not less than 2,000 calories lol
  • EvelineUK
    Options
    It's simple, really. Too much going in and not enough going out.

I did not exercise aside from walking my inlaw's dog every now and again (once or twice a week), and was far too 'easy' when it came to food. Takeaways, too many snacks because they're yum, and just sitting on my bum a lot.

Genetics and an underactive thyroid have something to do with it, but realisticly, it was all me. I'm glad I'm out of the 300 club. I burned my membership card as I don't ever want to go back.
  • Falcon
    Options
    EvelineUK wrote: »
    It's simple, really. Too much going in and not enough going out.

I did not exercise aside from walking my inlaw's dog every now and again (once or twice a week), and was far too 'easy' when it came to food. Takeaways, too many snacks because they're yum, and just sitting on my bum a lot.

Genetics and an underactive thyroid have something to do with it, but realisticly, it was all me. I'm glad I'm out of the 300 club. I burned my membership card as I don't ever want to go back.

takes out 330 pound membership card and lights it on fire. never again.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Once you hit 300 pounds, your story is basically the same as everyone else who hits 300 pounds, that is why you are going to get one solid, concise answer to your outrageously condescending question.

Have a great journey.

+1
  • Akijade
    Akijade Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    So, my highest weight ever was 325. How did I get there? Honestly? Because cheeseburgers are *kitten* delicious. I lived by myself and no one cared how or what I ate. I've always been overweight, but after college it got really bad. Fast food several times a day. Chips, soda, candy, cake... I did not care because it was delicious. Also, smoking lots of weed/drinking lots of alcohol and getting fierce munchies all the time.

325 was the tipping point. The shock of seeing that number on the scale made me realize I had to do something.
  • Falcon
    Options
    Hope everyone is still doing well. I'm close to breaking out of the 290s and into the 280s. It feels good to get all this weight off. Not to mention my clothes do fit me a lot better now, not so tight anymore :)
  • barlowcait
    Options
    It all added up pretty quietly actually. I have always been a husky kid. Food was love in my family, it was the way you healed all wounds. If I got a shot at the doctor's office we always stopped for ice cream on the way home. If I got hurt or a skinned knee I would get a treat to make me emotionally feel better. Food was how my parents dealt with tough times. When my parents divorced my mom overcompensated by showering us with gifts of food. Our favorite meals, going out to dinner whenever we wanted, not shunning us for portions. By the time she realized she had damaged us, we were in high school. The first time I ever actually knew what I weighed was probably sophomore year. I was 180, wore size 18-20 clothes. I realize now that I was probably starting to suffer from depression even then, another gift from my mother, who suffered through it most of her adult life and lead her to her unhealthy habits.

It was years before I even knew what I weighed. Body dysphoria made me think that I was still 180 somehow even as I went up in clothing sizes. In college I had no healthy habits whatsoever and my depression had kicked in full force. The next time I knew my weight for sure I was 23 and 334 pounds.

I would say my weight gain was twice as much mental as it was physical. Even now, the urge to stress eat is phenomenal when hard times happen.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I'm not going to quote the above because my intentions are absolutely not to start bickering on this site, but I feel I must comment on this so that those who are also "curious as to how someone could possibly get to over 300 pounds" are not uninformed and think "Oh, I don't have a bad relationship with food- I'll never be over 300 lbs".
    I am aware that some people have developed an unhealthy relationship with food due to health issues, genetics, things that have happened in their lives, ie. finding comfort in eating, or for many other reasons (as can be represented by some of the responses to this question) However, I am quite annoyed at this generalization of "morbid obesity is normally associated with what is going on with a person mentally".
    I am a 5'9" big boned woman who ended up over 300 lbs because I just didn't care to pay attention to the food I put in my body. I ate when I was hungry, snacked when I felt like it, and wasn't really bothered to pay attention to the nutrition. I had a great childhood, a great adolescence, I have a wonderful husband, stepchildren, and child of my own, a great job, good friends, and am financially and mental stable. I learned about nutrition at a young age and obtained a degree in Biology. I don't have health issues, thyroid problems, or mental health issues, and I haven't had a soda in over 5 years. I just ate what I wanted when I wanted and did not pay attention to the calories or portion size (even though I do have knowledge of nutrition/calories). At my age, weight, and height, my TDEE is approximately 2500. It's actually quite easy to eat over 2500 calories a day and have a "normal" relationship with food (ie, eating the same way the majority of the population eats), especially when your portion sizes are too large.
    After a few years of not paying attention and just living life, the weight just slowly piles on. Add pregnancy weight to that, and there ya go- well over 300 pounds.

Again, while there are obviously several factors at play when referring to weight gain and everybody has their own story, a generalized statement such as the bolded one above is just misinformation. I can assure you that while there are those who have gained weight because of things going on with them "mentally", there are just the same amount of people who ended up in the morbidly obese category and have a completely "normal" relationship with food.

Additionally, every single person who is on this site is well on their way to a healthier life. They took the first step by joining this site, not by answering this question without being offended.