Women and High Heels

Options

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I like the way I look in heels. But I refuse to walk around with aching feet, and I'm clumsy and would look ridiculous tottering around trying to keep my balance in most heels. Fortunately block-heeled boots are not an issue in the balance or comfort departments.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Part of it has to do with the proportions we perceive as most attractive.

Cartoonists draw sexy comic book characters 7 heads high. In other words, the height of the character is equal to 7 times their head height. These are called heroic proportions.

Normal people are 5 heads high.

Adding perceived leg length is considered attractive and more towards the heroic proportions.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy who doesn't understand high heels.

Short is cute; tall is manly.

Really? Did you really just go there? You just called tall women manly. Awesome.

Guess I'm naturally a man then!
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    I would just like to know when the class was taught to us ladies about how to walk in them, because apparently I missed it.

me too!^^

i wear them (3") sitting at my desk, but change them when it's time to leave! i MAY on occasion walk to the bathroom in them, but usually just wear flats!

it's silly i know, but i like the way they look!!! LOL
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I am over 6' tall, with size twelve feet. I can buy my shoes locally in ONE place - payless.

Payless takes their average shoe with the average heel and just enlarges it.. which enlarges the heel.

Which often changes a 2" heel in size 7 to a 3.5" heel in size 12.
    And a 3" heel in size seven to a 4.5" heel.

So, when I go into look at my selection, I see about a dozen pairs with a 4" heel, and then ugly fuzzy slippers. Or crappy flip flops.

Often times.. I have to take the heel.

But that's ok... Cuz I rock it!

I have just the opposite problem. My feet are tiny (size 5-6). Unless I want to spend a small fortune at a nice shoe store, my section is flip flops (too casual), flats with bows/large flowers on them (looks childish), or heels so high that all my weight is pushed onto the tips of my toes because the heel is as long as my foot. Needless to say, I do NOT have a very nice or large shoe collection.
  • Shimmysista
    Shimmysista Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Cant walk in heels if my life depended on it so this makes me realllllly jealous lol

tumblr_n4h10bNYJB1txa9svo1_500.gif
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I’m always curious about what the opposite sex is thinking. What's up with high heels?

I'm curious as to what characteristics make a high heel go from sexy tasteful to whorey skanktastic in a milisecond. Is it the height of the heel? The color? The straps?

Why do women sacrifice comfort to wear these contraptions?

I'd just like to point out that men wear heels too.

Not Real Men.

Ok, that makes it official. I don't like you. :brokenheart:
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I do admit to laughing at women who can't walk properly in heels. They look like baby giraffes.
    This is what I feel like when I try to walk in heels. I can only handle flat shoes.
    1261172497_horse-dance-on-ice.gif
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy who doesn't understand high heels.

Short is cute; tall is manly. And since about 1% of women can actually walk in heels and not look ridiculous, the chances are you are not one of them.

MjAxMy1lZmQ5ZGE2NzA0NDU2OGJl.png

Wow.
    200.gif

Edited to ask - How tall do you consider tall? If I'm 5' and I wear 3" heels -- am I too tall and manly? Or, is short wearing heels sstill cute? How about if I'm 5'7" and not wearing heels? Am I manly then...? Cuz, um, sorry..... Nope. Not sorry.
  • __freckles__
    Options
    Cant walk in heels if my life depended on it so this makes me realllllly jealous lol

tumblr_n4h10bNYJB1txa9svo1_500.gif

But you, you I like. :heart:
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I wear them 5 days per week for work. I love wearing them. They make me feel stylish and put together.
    They're unacceptable if the woman cannot walk properly in them. Any woman that can't walk in the heels, should NOT wear the heels haha

This!!! :) I love my heels. And my running shoes and my boots and... Okay, maybe I like shoes... just a little! :happy:
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I am over 6' tall, with size twelve feet. I can buy my shoes locally in ONE place - payless.

Payless takes their average shoe with the average heel and just enlarges it.. which enlarges the heel.

Which often changes a 2" heel in size 7 to a 3.5" heel in size 12.
    And a 3" heel in size seven to a 4.5" heel.

So, when I go into look at my selection, I see about a dozen pairs with a 4" heel, and then ugly fuzzy slippers. Or crappy flip flops.

Often times.. I have to take the heel.

But that's ok... Cuz I rock it!

High-Five-GIF-1.gif

And, you're gorgeous. So........
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot to say, other than the taller, more ridiculous and more brightly coloured, the better.

/swoon
  • agousetis
    agousetis Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Seems to me, all heels would be painful to wear. I'm glad I don't have to wear them!!
  • __freckles__
    Options
    I’m always curious about what the opposite sex is thinking. What's up with high heels?

I'm curious as to what characteristics make a high heel go from sexy tasteful to whorey skanktastic in a milisecond. Is it the height of the heel? The color? The straps?

Why do women sacrifice comfort to wear these contraptions?

I'd just like to point out that men wear heels too.

True. The high heel trend started with rich men.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2014/06/19/_99_invisible_roman_mars_the_gender_bending_history_of_the_high_heel.html

Most people don't know this, so quoting bc truth.
  • NikiaSue
    NikiaSue Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    luv all teh heels
  • magnolia_ah
    magnolia_ah Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    i loooooooooooooooveeee high heels and stiletto :smokin:
  • __freckles__
    Options
    Seems to me, all heels would be painful to wear. I'm glad I don't have to wear them!!

Psssssssssst...no one has to wear them...

But you can it you want. :wink:
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    High heels are just plain sexy. If I hear high heels clicking on a hard floor it totally messes me up. If i'm having a conversation or concentrating I become instantly flabergasted, my heart rate increases, and my ......lets just leave it at that! Damn I love high heels.

this is also why i wear heels, especially on date night if we go somewhere nice!
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Just to add something fun to the conversation: High heels were originally a men's fashion that women adopted and men largely abandoned:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/48672/where-did-high-heels-come

and just to add to the mix:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-heeled_footwear