Cleanse

Options

Replies

• missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Colonoscopy prep. That'll clean you right the hell out.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    What kinda cleanse are you talking about? If you're constipated, adequate fiber, water, and fat intake will do. If you're feeling sluggish, I recommend more sleep and exercise. If you have a cold, get some rest and maybe have some hot tea with lemon for vitamin C; but a cold won't kill you so don't worry. If overall you just feel like you need a change in your diet, then simply replace the foods you feel like you shouldn't be eating with foods you feel like you should be eating more of.

If you're just looking for fad "cleanses"--something to "detoxify" the body of some unexplained "toxins" buildup--then I recommend making a homemade fresh fruit or green smoothie to accompany your usual daily breakfast; drink that religiously every single morning. Drinking this won't harm you in any way but it will be beneficial since fruits and vegetables have lots of good micronutrients for the body, especially if you don't usually eat enough fruits and vegetables every day. I think this smoothie is a great substitute for other fad cleanses out there because some of the others don't really have much nutritional value at all.... Hope I helped. :)
  • healthysista66
    Options
    Soap and water. That's funny, Smile But seriously I've learned something today.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    It's the same reason why studies show women shouldn't douche.....the body takes care of itself. Doing a vag cleanse, aka douche, just messes with the natural flora there. Companies who sell douches promote their use but they do more harm than good.

And like IBS or some other kind of intestinal dysfunction, you should go see your doctor for treatment if something is amiss instead of relying on untested methods.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    So "we don't need to cleanse, the body cleanses itself" and yet, you say, "there is no detoxifying or cleansing going on in the body?"
    I haven't mentioned anything about the body "cleansing" itself. I gave you the straight up answer of "waste excrement". And stand by my statement that there is no "detoxing or cleansing" on the body going on.
    What about the lymph system?
    In layman's terms, it's the circulatory system of the body.
    What is it's function?
    To circulate fluids throughout the body.
    Does it always operate perfectly?
    Not if someone is suffering from a disease like lymphoma or disorders like lymphedema. Where does this have to do with "detoxing or cleansing"?
    You're looking to argue about "detoxing or cleansing". So please enlighten me on what your definitions of these two words are when relating to physiology. And how the body systematically goes about "detoxing and cleansing".
    I can't seem to answer whatever understanding you have of how physiology works.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    So "we don't need to cleanse, the body cleanses itself" and yet, you say, "there is no detoxifying or cleansing going on in the body?"
    I haven't mentioned anything about the body "cleansing" itself. I gave you the straight up answer of "waste excrement". And stand by my statement that there is no "detoxing or cleansing" on the body going on.
    What is it's function?
    Not if someone is suffering from a disease like lymphoma or disorders like lymphedema. Where does this have to do with "detoxing or cleansing"?
    You're looking to argue about "detoxing or cleansing". So please enlighten me on what your definitions of these two words are when relating to physiology. And how the body systematically goes about "detoxing and cleansing".

IDEA Fitness member
    What is "waste excrement?" Do you think the body only expels waste from the colon? When you hear the word "cleanse" do you only think of colon cleansing?
    Don't the body's cells rid themselves of waste? Where does the waste go?
    What is the main function of the lymph system?
    If a system is not working perfectly, does that mean it is diseased?
    I have sought to understand what a person is meaning when they say detox or cleanse.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    In, to watch people try to prove a negative.

I know of one effective *cleanse*: chelation, but I wouldn't trust anyone trying to sell it to you on the internet!
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    why-the-hell-is-this-thread-still-going.jpg
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don't think the term cleanse has been defined here yet. I definitely don't blame you for not doing the "cleanses" your listed (I wouldn't want to do them, either!) I hope you find a solution for the UC (I'm not familiar with that)!
    I'll make it easy for you then:

Cleanse in cleaning the bathroom usually entails using an industrial cleaner to remove things like soap scum, mold, and bacteria.

Cleanse in the diet and fitness world usually entails the ingestion of pricey products to consumers so they can feel better about themselves and drop a few pounds of water weight in a few days.

Hope that clears it up a little, so that strawman arguments don't continue.

IDEA Fitness member

And the truly inquiring minds want to know if you hire out? (Not for this body-cleanse nonsense, but for the tile/grout cleansing in my biffy...) :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    What is it's function?

IDEA Fitness member
    What is "waste excrement?"
    Feces.
    Do you think the body only expels waste from the colon?
    No because people also urinate.
    When you hear the word "cleanse" do you only think of colon cleansing?
    Nope. I think of how people are duped into believing that "cleansing" removes toxins from the body.
    Don't the body's cells rid themselves of waste?
    Krebs cycle.
    Where does the waste go?
    Filtered through liver and/or kidneys.
    Circulation
    Not necessarily. There are disorders and deficiencies that can impede efficiency.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I use Persil Non-Bio for the laundry, Fairy for the dishes, and Nivea body wash for myself. They all work pretty well.
  • MinMin97
    Options
    What is it's function?

IDEA Fitness member
    Feces.
    Nope. I think of how people are duped into believing that "cleansing" removes toxins from the body.
    Krebs cycle.
    Where does the waste go?
    Circulation
    Not necessarily. There are disorders and deficiencies that can impede efficiency.

IDEA Fitness member
    "The lymphatic system parallels the cardiovascular system. The lymphatic system is unique in that it is a 1-way system that returns lymph fluid via vessels to the cardiovascular system for the eventual ELIMINATION OF TOXIC BY-PRODUCTS BY END ORGANS SUCH AS KIDNEY, LIVER, COLON, SKIN AND LUNGS. The lymph [fluid] contains nutrients, oxygen, hormones and fatty acids, as well as TOXINS AND CELLULAR WASTE PRODUCTS, THAT ARE TRANSPORTED TO AND FROM CELLULAR TISSUES."
    ^^^^^The above quote is taken from http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1899053-overview
    Another article, factual, but in more of a magazine article format http://www.livescience.com/26983-lymphatic-system.html

You have repeatedly said "there is no detoxifying or cleansing going on in the body." In fact, the body IS detoxifying and cleansing!
    Does it always perform perfectly, with 100% efficiency?
    I don't think so! That's a really big job, I'm sure it can get overloaded some times, especially with the food and lifestyle choices people make, or simply the stressful circumstances folks can find themselves in.
    Does this mean they should see the dr and that dr will help them feel better? Maybe to get information/his opinion?
    If systems in the body are not working well, does that mean they are diseased?
    I don't think so!
    So if a person is feeling poorly, using terms (which you may hate) such a toxic, want to cleanse, sluggish, or whatever, you just might see them in the forums, asking questions on the matter.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    *SNIP*

"The lymphatic system parallels the cardiovascular system. The lymphatic system is unique in that it is a 1-way system that returns lymph fluid via vessels to the cardiovascular system for the eventual ELIMINATION OF TOXIC BY-PRODUCTS BY END ORGANS SUCH AS KIDNEY, LIVER, COLON, SKIN AND LUNGS. The lymph [fluid] contains nutrients, oxygen, hormones and fatty acids, as well as TOXINS AND CELLULAR WASTE PRODUCTS, THAT ARE TRANSPORTED TO AND FROM CELLULAR TISSUES."
    ^^^^^The above quote is taken from http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1899053-overview
    Another article, factual, but in more of a magazine article format http://www.livescience.com/26983-lymphatic-system.html

You have repeatedly said "there is no detoxifying or cleansing going on in the body." In fact, the body IS detoxifying and cleansing!
    I don't think so! That's a really big job, I'm sure it can get overloaded some times, especially with the food and lifestyle choices people make, or simply the stressful circumstances folks can find themselves in.
    Does this mean they should see the dr and that dr will help them feel better? Maybe to get information/his opinion?
    I don't think so!
    So if a person is feeling poorly, using terms (which you may hate) such a toxic, want to cleanse, sluggish, or whatever, you just might see them in the forums, asking questions on the matter.

What is your actual point?

And just because you don't think something is true doesn't make it so. And just because people ask the questions using those terms doesn't make the answer any different.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    What is it's function?

IDEA Fitness member
    Feces.
    Krebs cycle.
    Where does the waste go?
    Circulation

IDEA Fitness member

I don't think so!

You have evidence that these "cleanses" remove toxins that wouldn't be removed otherwise by the body's natural processes?
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I don't think so!
    The human body doesn't produce "toxins". Overdose of just about anything ingested can become "toxic", but that's due to intake and dosage and not production.
    Please enlighten me to one toxin PRODUCED by the body. Because according to the Journals of Medicine, science, physiology, biology, etc. I haven't encountered one yet.
    Sounds like you're caught up more in the semantics. We have a natural "filtering" system that coordinates systematically to remove "waste" from the body. You call it "detoxing and cleansing". Cool. I'll stick to the scientific terminology.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    *SNIP

I don't think so!

I think you are mistaken, I am pretty sure he, as well as others, said in the very beginning, that the body does a good enough job on ITS own removing toxins/waste. In fact pretty sure that was abundantly clear but then you come along.

The bottom line is supposed cleansing products that claim they removes toxins from your body are a marketing scam. In fact some of your responses almost read like you don't believe in cleanses either but you still keep asking questions that make some of us think your are arguing for cleanses.

I am in to see if this keeps going :drinker:
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    *grabs popcorn*

I was thinking the exact same thing.
  • IamMCM
    IamMCM Posts: 122
    Options
    I highly recommend the placebo cleanse myself.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Detox/cleanses are a scam. If you are concerned that your kidneys, liver, etc. are not functioning adequately, see a doctor. No amount of green tea pills or smoothie fasts will make your critical organs function better.
  • MinMin97
    Options

I don't think so!
    The human body doesn't produce "toxins". Overdose of just about anything ingested can become "toxic", but that's due to intake and dosage and not production.
    Please enlighten me to one toxin PRODUCED by the body. Because according to the Journals of Medicine, science, physiology, biology, etc. I haven't encountered one yet.
    Sounds like you're caught up more in the semantics. We have a natural "filtering" system that coordinates systematically to remove "waste" from the body. You call it "detoxing and cleansing". Cool. I'll stick to the scientific terminology.

IDEA Fitness member
    I don't mind that you don't like the medical definition given above. Nor do I mind that you don't like the topic here. It's also okay if you don't agree with me. I think you contradict the truth, and I don't agree with you, but I don't hate you for it, nor accuse you of anything evil. But this topic is open for discussion and if cleansing/toxicity is on a person's mind and they want to open up a topic about it, that's their privilege. I think a person can help their own process of cleansing, and definitely think that harsh or expensive "cleansing programs" are usually not the way to go. I definitely give an OP the freedom to talk about it and would like to give feedback to them. Hope you have a great day!