Thoughts on being an only child...

Options
MuscleAndMascara
MuscleAndMascara Posts: 1,259 Member
I would like to hear your thoughts on either being an only child growing up, or being a parent to an only child.
What are the positives and negatives to being/having an only child.
Why or why not would you recommend having one kid?

Discuss....

Replies

• BullDozier
    BullDozier Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Not an only child, but married to one.

One negative I know is that when the parents get old, there is a lot of stress/responsibility that falls onto that one child. There aren't any siblings to share that pressure with.
  • Ness7891
    Ness7891 Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm an only child. 26 years. Everyone grows up different. For me I was a little spoiled as a kid. I didn't mind not having a brother or sister I guess. Didn't mind the alone time playing video games, watching television, playing with toys, or drawing. I still had friends of course, but I just got used to being an only child. I suppose that is whyI have no problems living on my own and having a preference for quiet places.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    My husband is an only child... I have a LOT of only child theories...................................
  • MuscleAndMascara
    MuscleAndMascara Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    My husband is an only child... I have a LOT of only child theories...................................

please feel free to share.
    no answer is right or wrong.
  • GrasslandFairy
    Options
    My husband and I are both only children, and we plan for our daughter to be the same. He's smart, outgoing, and makes friends easily. I was a "gifted" child, I read a lot, and I do well on my own. It seems that only children have the perks of having their parents' full attention and focus which helps them developmentally. Our daughter could walk well at 9 months, because we helped her every day.

On the other side, children with older siblings can pick up a lot from them. A little girl I know could sing the alphabet and count to 15 at only 18 months old because she learns from her sister.

Both have good and bad points, I'd recommend that families make the best decision for them, because no one will ever have the exact same experience with children.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    I have one child. We are currently trying to decide if there will be another. My wife is, essentially, an only child (she has a 1/2 brother that was given up for adoption. They did not grow up together), I have two brothers. I talk to my brothers all the time. We are pretty good friends. I don't know how normal that is, really. She was fine being an only child. She liked being the focus of attention and she wasn't really spoiled, but she didn't have to share anything either.

So we have been trying to list pluses and minuses for each situation in order to decide. So I am interested in this thread.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    One child is cheaper than two.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options

please feel free to share.
    no answer is right or wrong.

LOL it's stuff I give my husband a hard time about... OK, so I grew up with a brother and a sister.. and so I was used to my siblings and even my parents stealing food off my plate.. Like as a kid, they'd say, "oh my gosh, look at that monkey on the wall." and then they'd take my cupcake... That kind of thing.. so now whenever someone tries to get me to look at something when I am eating, I know better........

My husband never had this training....... so I got to enjoy it quite a bit when we first started dating... He's learned now though...

We were sure that my son was going to be an only child, so we've taught him the important of not listening when someone says HEY LOOK AT THAT when you are eating :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's something you get with siblings.. so we wanted to make sure my son had that (really, just to be fun... ).. BUT turns out, I am pregnant... so now he can teach the new one the same tricks :laugh:
  • cskalaj
    cskalaj Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Not an only child, but married to one.

One negative I know is that when the parents get old, there is a lot of stress/responsibility that falls onto that one child. There aren't any siblings to share that pressure with.

Ditto to this. I'm one of 9 children, and my husband is an only child. His dad passed away this past January and the responsibility it has heaved on him has been almost overwhelming. For both of us. It's so reassuring knowing that if/when something happens to my parents, there are 8 other people to help out with all of the responsibilities that come with it.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Here's a completely different take on it. Back when I was teaching graduate students I would occasionally have an only "child," over 21 years old mind you, who still didn't know how to act as an independent adult because their parents had spent too much time and effort protecting them from the rigors of life. For example, sometimes these people had never held a job because their parents were able to support them fully and felt the most important thing for them to do was do well in their studies. You are not doing someone a favor if they get to be 21 years old without ever having had a job. No employer is going to be excited to hire them no matter how high their GPA.

Being an only child is not necessarily a problem as long as the parents don't handicap the child by convincing it that it is too precious or unable to handle the rigors of life out in the rough and tumble world of society. Of course, this can happen to multiple children, too.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Only child here. I have noticed that I am totally ok with doing things by myself like going to restaurants, movies, shopping, etc. It drives me nuts when I have friends who bug the crap out of me while I am busy because they can't bring themselves to do some activity alone. I also rarely get bored. I think that is because I got used to entertaining myself while growing up without siblings.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I'm an only child. 26 years. Everyone grows up different. For me I was a little spoiled as a kid. I didn't mind not having a brother or sister I guess. Didn't mind the alone time playing video games, watching television, playing with toys, or drawing. I still had friends of course, but I just got used to being an only child. I suppose that is whyI have no problems living on my own and having a preference for quiet places.

Living alone is awesome.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I am an only child. My mom died shortly after I was born, so I never even thought about siblings as I grew up. Honestly, my dad was my hero, and I did not want to share him. Or my stuff. Now, looking back, I wish I had siblings. But when i was a child, I did not want any.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this even counts as an only child but...

I have a brother and three sisters. When I was three my father went to prison, and when I was six my mother dropped me off at my aunt's house. I ended up being adopted by my aunt and growing up as an only child. I was lonely, and I felt suffocated by my parent's need for me to be perfect. Like I said, I may not count because I was most likely negatively impacted by being separated from my siblings at such a young age. I think there are pros and cons to both, but I always wanted my brother and sisters.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I'm married to an only child of his parents. His dad had 2 children from a previous marriage who were grown when he grew up. Being an only child, he had all of the pressure of being a perfect son from his mother, who wanted many many kids and ended up only having 1. This caused a lot of problems as he tried to spread his winds in college and beyond. His mother was extremely emotionally dependent on him and really struggled with him growing up and moving out because there were no other kids to go through parenting with.

He also has a pretty heavy video game habit resulting from having no siblings to play with growing up. At least, that's my theory.

He has a harder time with compromise. He doesn't default to it, anyway.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My son is an only child, as life didn't work out to have more. He gets bored not having a built in playmate. He loves not having to share anything. He's definitely more spoiled than he would be if I had more. I didn't get to have more. I'm worried he'll leave me and move across the country and I'll have to wipe my own *kitten* when I'm old. I might be able to afford to help with college since I only have one.

*shrug*

I don't know.

But I do know that I'm currently in the process of forcing IPAkiller to marry me so that I can be a horrible step-mother to his mini as well as thrust a sibling upon my son. Cause that's the way to do it according to Dr. Phil.

or something like that... I get confused.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm married to an only child of his parents. His dad had 2 children from a previous marriage who were grown when he grew up. Being an only child, he had all of the pressure of being a perfect son from his mother, who wanted many many kids and ended up only having 1. This caused a lot of problems as he tried to spread his winds in college and beyond. His mother was extremely emotionally dependent on him and really struggled with him growing up and moving out because there were no other kids to go through parenting with.

Won't lie... the attachment to one when you only have one is completely bat-*kitten* crazy strong. I can totally see this.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm an only child, and I wished I had more friends, but no siblings b/c of the hell I've endured. Wouldn't wish the problems I've had and my mother has on my worst enemy. Being an only child can be great though, it's definitely cheaper, and you can get more attention and help if you need it.
  • mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I am an only child. No hand me downs. I like my quiet time. Probably a little socially awkward growing up as well.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    When you only have one kid you can totally take it to the bar with you.