CHEESE?

Options

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    and yet, some of us can be in a consistent caloric deficit and not lose weight.

if nutrition, fitness, and weight loss were truly all about the calories (because a calorie is nothing more than a unit of heat), we would be able to consume any material that's capable of burning and go on our merry way. but we can't. we're limited to things that are either protein, fat, or carbohydrate... and even then, there are things our bodies can't handle.

personally, i'm waiting for the day when a genetic test becomes available to point out certain markers that show some people shed weight more easily and more readily, while others hang onto every calorie as if it were their last. since genetics determines everything else about us, it's ridiculous to think it has no bearing and that there's a one-size-fits-all solution to weight loss.

there are already a host of medical conditions, prescription drugs, and vitamin deficiencies that have been shown to impede or even counteract attempts to lose weight. yet people still cling to that "calories in < calories out = weight loss" formula and refuse to acknowledge that anything else might be a factor.

just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for me or anyone else. your mileage WILL vary.
    Just because you THINK your in a deficit doesn't mean that you are. The calories out is the most variable factor in the equation, some find it easily, some find it with time, and others can't find it and claim that calories in, calories out doesn't work.

MFP says i'm in a caloric deficit. everything i eat is either weighed or pulled from published nutritional information and entered accordingly. my daily limit is set at within 100 calories of my BMR, and after daily exercise is figured in, my intake is actually below my BMR.

this isn't a case of "THINK". this is a case of data.
    You're really going to let an online calculator determine how YOUR individual metabolism functions. Wow just wow
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    There is literally no such person. It is physically impossible.

hi there. i am that person. unless you'd like to argue that either the information on MFP is ridiculously wrong, or my scale is slowly weighing heavier and heavier.

It's been proven that being in a calorie deficit causes weight loss. If you take in less than you burn, the body loses weight. Simple as that. If you aren't losing, you're eating more than you think.

and it's been proven that there are factors that interfere with that loss. this is not a matter of simplistic answers.
  • krogers810x
    krogers810x Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    In ten years, "calories in, calories out" will be completely dismissed, just like we dismiss leaches, which were used by doctors through the early 19th century.

Who dismisses leeches? They're still used in modern medicine. They're particularly useful for skin grafts and for keeping reattached limbs viable, since they clear away blood pooling beneath grafts and produce an anticoagulant in their saliva.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

if nutrition, fitness, and weight loss were truly all about the calories (because a calorie is nothing more than a unit of heat), we would be able to consume any material that's capable of burning and go on our merry way. but we can't. we're limited to things that are either protein, fat, or carbohydrate... and even then, there are things our bodies can't handle.

personally, i'm waiting for the day when a genetic test becomes available to point out certain markers that show some people shed weight more easily and more readily, while others hang onto every calorie as if it were their last. since genetics determines everything else about us, it's ridiculous to think it has no bearing and that there's a one-size-fits-all solution to weight loss.

there are already a host of medical conditions, prescription drugs, and vitamin deficiencies that have been shown to impede or even counteract attempts to lose weight. yet people still cling to that "calories in < calories out = weight loss" formula and refuse to acknowledge that anything else might be a factor.

just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for me or anyone else. your mileage WILL vary.
    Just because you THINK your in a deficit doesn't mean that you are. The calories out is the most variable factor in the equation, some find it easily, some find it with time, and others can't find it and claim that calories in, calories out doesn't work.

MFP says i'm in a caloric deficit. everything i eat is either weighed or pulled from published nutritional information and entered accordingly. my daily limit is set at within 100 calories of my BMR, and after daily exercise is figured in, my intake is actually below my BMR.

You're really going to let an online calculator determine how YOUR individual metabolism functions. Wow just wow

Truth!
  • meridianova
    Options

hi there. i am that person. unless you'd like to argue that either the information on MFP is ridiculously wrong, or my scale is slowly weighing heavier and heavier.

Actually a lot of the information on MFP is ridiculously wrong, with some vastly underestimated calorie entries from member added foods

then what the bleep are any of us doing here?

it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to look at caloric counts of foods and be able to verify them with a quick glance at the nutritional data on the package.
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    cheese is a good source of protein... like you i love cheese and could eat a whole block and not think twice... just watch your portion size and use reduced fat cheese.. my cheese snacks i eat the sargento reduced fat cheese sticks and i use the reduced fat slices for sandwiches.. i also preportion the block into serving sizes...
  • meridianova
    Options

then please, honestly... explain to me how any of us determine how our personal, individual metabolism functions. because right now, i'll be damned if i can get any answers out of my own body.

i'm not trying to be snarky with this, but its a battle i've had all my life. if metabolism is unique to the individual, then so is their ability to lose weight.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Actually a lot of the information on MFP is ridiculously wrong, with some vastly underestimated calorie entries from member added foods

it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to look at caloric counts of foods and be able to verify them with a quick glance at the nutritional data on the package.

Which is what I do and I lose consistently close to predicted losses.

I was politely answering your comment but as to your other claims, it is relatively simple, you are not eating at a deficit.

I am sure you take into account the up to 20% inaccuracy of packet nutrition data, I am also sure you don't over estimate calories burned

Therefore you may have a medical condition that affects your calories out part of the equation

Which would mean

You are not in deficit!
  • lessbounce
    lessbounce Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Like others here I use good strong flavoured cheese, and combine it with other foods to make a little go along way.. Any decent hard cheese I grate it goes so much further. Certainly couldn't do with out cheese:noway:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Stunning that a little thread about CHEESE has turned into yet another "it's just math" argument.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

then please, honestly... explain to me how any of us determine how our personal, individual metabolism functions. because right now, i'll be damned if i can get any answers out of my own body.

i'm not trying to be snarky with this, but its a battle i've had all my life. if metabolism is unique to the individual, then so is their ability to lose weight.
    Trial, error and most importantly patience. That is how we did it before the internet. The online calculators are only a starting point and are not unique to the user.
  • Rhaynestorm
    Rhaynestorm Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Have you tried bumping your calories down another 100 a day for a month and see what happens? Or how about bumping them up 100 a day for a month to see what happens? Sometimes you have to try different things because people are different.
  • Rhaynestorm
    Rhaynestorm Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Stunning that a little thread about CHEESE has turned into yet another "it's just math" argument.

That seems to be a trend lately
  • meridianova
    Options

Which is what I do and I lose consistently close to predicted losses.

I was politely answering your comment but as to your other claims, it is relatively simple, you are not eating at a deficit.

We have established that you are a rocket surgeon as opposed to a plain old brain surgeon or using rocket science so inaccurate logging must be out of the question. I am sure you take into account the up to 20% inaccuracy of packet nutrition data. I am also sure you don't over estimate calories burned

Therefore you may have a medical condition that affects your calories out part of the equation

Which would mean

You are not in deficit!

that's it. i'm just not going to eat again. it seems to be the only answer that guarantees the holy deficit.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I think 1 string cheese a day is just fine. I probably have about the same amount everyday but I've stopped buying brie because I love it too much and have a hard time limiting portion sizes.
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If it fits your macros and calorie budget, and you like it, then what's the problem? There's no inherent ingredient in cheese that makes your body stop losing weight. Personally I've stopped putting cheese on things that will swallow up the flavor so that you can't taste it...it's just added calories. But straight up cheese, or items which have cheese as a flavor feature, omg yes! So, I don't put cheese on my shredded chicken tacos, but I do put cheese on my hot ham and brie sammie.

That's exactly how I approach cheese now. We should be MFP friends! Oh, wait. We are. :smile:
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Can you open up your diary so we can take a looksie?

P.S. Eating cheese right now.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

No. You aren't. If you are gaining weight, you're eating more calories than you're burning. It's as simple as that.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If it fits your calorie goal, eat the cheese.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I love cheese to the the extent that if cheese tasting was a job, I may consider a career change. I just make sure to eat it in small amounts and fit it into my calories. I do eat it every day, and I am losing just fine. Pro tip: feta cheese has fewer calories than most other cheeses, and a little bit goes a long way due to it's strong flavor.