42 calorie macaroni and cheese!

Options

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    #4) And last - although I strongly disagree with how you feel about this particular thing, I did notice how much weight you've lost and how much success you've had on your journey. Congratulations. I hope you can take your success and find a way to motivate and encourage other people.
    Been there.
    Done that.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/50200-getting-started

check some of the stickied posts.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    i would stick to the real thing and plan itin your calories for the day. Sorry but that does not sould good to me. I'll stick to the real thing.:noway:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I feel terrible that so many people on here are so critical, her heart was in the right place folks. Someone's delish dish may not be your fav, but come on, where is the support. She deleted herself now. I hope she comes back! We can all be very fragile about our eating habits and weight. :frown:

The OP specifically asked what we thought about the recipe.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    IMHO: internet forums are NOT for the faint of heart. I have a feeling that the comments on this thread may have touched a particular nerve and the OP still needs to deal with something on a personal level that she's not ready to deal with right now.

People don't have to *****foot around but is it necessary to dog pile a bunch of unnecessary negative feedback on someone's recipe? I know it's entertaining and fun but seriously.....it's also annoying esp. since this isn't a Chit Chat / Fun & Games thread.

As a kid one of the most annoying things to me was my dad saying "Blech!" or "Pig slop" or "How can you eat that crap?" when my mom would make broccoli for HER AND ME - never expecting HIM to eat it because we knew he didn't like it. Or if he saw me eating yogurt he would say "Yuck, that's the stuff we used to feed hogs with..." Every. Single. Time.

And it was like...shut up. You don't like it...we don't care. It is nothing to you. (Of course I wasn't allowed to speak to my father that way but it just grated on me.) That's what all the "Gross" comments on this thread reminded me of.

Just because it's a public forum and you CAN post those kinds of comments here, doesn't mean you need to or even should...kwim? As someone else said, just move on. But nobody can do that. They have to act like ill mannered children. Just like my dad. Sigh.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    whoa, now familial issues come out.

Man, people share everything here.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Aww, that's really sad that OP felt bad enough to deactivate. The recipe doesn't sound like something I would try, so I didn't feel the need to comment on it. I'm sad that her recipe got made fun of.

That said, if she's been a member for a while, no thread where her or her recipe was attacked should be justification for her deleting her account. I agree that people were a little harsh. But hell, i've been told that i've asked a really dumb question before (I did) and I got ridiculed for it.

But I have a goal here. No amount of bashing or ridicule or .gifs are going to make me delete my account.
  • paintthinnr
    Options
    Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but have you tried Fiber Gourmet noodles and/or their mac n' cheese? I found it pretty close to the box stuff. It's 160 calories and really filling because of the fiber, but tastes like what pasta. So you can go that route, or what I prefer to do is to just get the fiber gourmet macaroni and melt some low fat cheese over it in the microwave.

https://www.fibergourmet.com/mac.aspx

I like FG cheese thinables too, they taste like goldfish crackers but only 60 calories and lots of fiber as well. I would not recommend the nacho flavor though.

Personally I am not a fan of shiratake noodles. I WISH I was, but the smell and the texture put me off.

Not terribly related but for another pasta substitute I like making zucchini or yellow squash noodles and serving them with turkey bolognese.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Tumblr_lsiwe1yX8A1r497ieo1_500.jpg
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I've tried making mac & cheese with shiritaki noodles. Not this recipe but still.. puke-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • smantha32
    Options
    That's gotta be more than 42 calories. The noodles alone are 40 calories for the bag. Why not have the real thing?
    it is. the recipe up there is for 2 servings of regret/disappointment... not just one.

This got a LOL.
  • smantha32
    Options

First things first- the ziti noodles have a horrible fishy smell that apparently comes with preservatives right out of the bag. I find that if you rinse the "miracle shirataki ziti" until the smell mostly dissapears and then boil and drain, the smell goes away.

YES! What is with that fishy smell? I could never get it to go away.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I think I will stick with my favorite recipe at just 1140 calories:

Noodles & Co - Mac & Cheese - Regular, 1 Large Bowl = 1130 cals
    Noodles & Co. - Grilled Chicken Breast, 6 oz = 110 cals
  • wizzybeth
    Options

*eye roll*

Not mad.

I do find the immaturity displayed by supposed "adults" with comments that are neither necessary nor helpful to be mildly irritating.
  • smantha32
    Options
    She just deactivated her account... Well done.
    You know, I really am disturbed by this. I, personally, have found great victory and support on MFP. But, it's a shame to see how the OP was attacked over a recipe (which, IMO, didn't actually seem too bad).

Everyone is different, and everyone is on a DIFFERENT weight loss journey. It's funny how some people are just so sure their way is the best and only way, but can't see that they sometimes just go too far.

The bottom line: the OP was a member for over 2 years, and deactivated her account because of the comments that were on this thread. What a shame.

Telling someone a recipe has high odds of turning out gross isn't an attack.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    When I read recipe threads, I am SO GRATEFUL for the people who comment negatively. Negative comments keep expectations for a recipe low, which I like (and sometimes the negative comments are funny). I can choose to listen to them and be cautious or make substitutions, or I can ignore them and see if they're wrong.

The (unfortunately deactivated) OP asked for opinions in a public place and got exactly what she asked for. The people saying, "If you don't have something nice to say, just keep scrolling." NO. You have it backwards. If you don't like the COMMENTS, then YOU keep scrolling, or use the "Ignore User" function.

Thank you negative people, for throwing words of caution into this recipe thread.

In the future, if any of you want to avoid opinions that may differ from yours, staying out of the public forums and keeping your ideas to your own friend list is probably a good idea. :flowerforyou:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    When I read recipe threads, I am SO GRATEFUL for the people who comment negatively. Negative comments keep expectations for a recipe low, which I like (and sometimes the negative comments are funny). I can choose to listen to them and be cautious or make substitutions, or I can ignore them and see if they're wrong.

The (unfortunately deactivated) OP asked for opinions in a public place and got exactly what she asked for. The people saying, "If you don't have something nice to say, just keep scrolling." NO. You have it backwards. If you don't like the COMMENTS, then YOU keep scrolling, or use the "Ignore User" function.

Thank you negative people, for throwing words of caution into this recipe thread.

In the future, if any of you want to avoid opinions that may differ from yours, staying out of the public forums and keeping your ideas to your own friend list is probably a good idea. :flowerforyou:

This is why we're friends. I think I'd rather eat this mac n cheese though

Zl8Zshw.jpg
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    It's one thing to say things like "I've tried it and don't like it because..." and comment that the texture was this, the flavor was that, etc.

I guess I'm talking about all the people just saying "Gross" type comments and making fun of it without adding anything worthwhile to the thread. The comments about the texture, taste, and use of the particular noodles mentioned in this recipe were great and helpful. I learned something (I'd never heard of these noodles before.)

It's kind of like reviews on Amazon, I suppose. I do get a lot of good info from negative reviews - when they say what was wrong and why they didn't like the product. Comments that are nothing more then "This sucks" however, are not helpful at all. WHY does it suck? What made you say that? It could be a very subjective and personal thing that wouldn't apply to or bother someone else. Simply saying "Yuck" (or similar) is childish, not helpful at all.

Does that make sense?
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I may like this recipe. Dunno until I try it. I'm interested in reading the pp's review after he takes one for the team and makes it.

I'm always up for trying new foods and recipes...as long as they don't include raw fish, shrimp or lobster, ick! :wink: Sometimes once is enough (I'll never do acorn squash again, and on the fast food side of the coin, I gag at the thought of those disgusting McRib sandwiches) and sometimes they are wonderful and become part of my food/meal rotation. It's a good way to expand your food choices.

What I don't like about these kinds of recipes is they imply they are comparible to the real deal full-fat version. I love a lot of different types of meatless "burgers," but are they the same as a beef burger (which I also love)? Of course not. People often say the Yonana fruit desserts taste just like soft serve ice cream. That's what drew me to them in the first place. I agree it's good and I often enjoy it, but ice cream it is not. So people get it in their head when they try them that they will be just as wonderful as the foods they are used to. Before I tried spaghetti squash, people were always saying it was like pasta. I finally tried it and, of course, it's nothing like pasta. It's good, and I'll eat it again, but aside from the fact that it's stringy like spaghetti, it's nothing like pasta.

It's too bad the OP felt she had to deactivate. :cry:
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    In general, I'm often "let down" by "mock" recipes. And yeah, I was quite taken in by the "spaghetti squash is just like spaghetti" line too. It is not. But it is good. :)
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    It's one thing to say things like "I've tried it and don't like it because..." and comment that the texture was this, the flavor was that, etc.

I guess I'm talking about all the people just saying "Gross" type comments and making fun of it without adding anything worthwhile to the thread. The comments about the texture, taste, and use of the particular noodles mentioned in this recipe were great and helpful. I learned something (I'd never heard of these noodles before.)

It's kind of like reviews on Amazon, I suppose. I do get a lot of good info from negative reviews - when they say what was wrong and why they didn't like the product. Comments that are nothing more then "This sucks" however, are not helpful at all. WHY does it suck? What made you say that? It could be a very subjective and personal thing that wouldn't apply to or bother someone else. Simply saying "Yuck" (or similar) is childish, not helpful at all.

Does that make sense?

edited: even too mean for me.