Can't give up alcohol - started replacing meals with beer...

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I didn't expect to see an alcoholism thread here on MFP.

wow.
    meaning.... ?
  • v6s30
    v6s30 Posts: 43
    Options
    I didn't expect to see an alcoholism thread here on MFP.

wow.

Ummm well it's a calorie counting website.. and alcohol has calories. It's not like we're talking about nuclear physics.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Giving up food for booze...... yep that's an alcoholic to me. I should know. Been there .....was there..... for years. Good luck with that till YOU see your problem...... by the looks of it that's going to be a long long time.
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    OP - how old is your pic...you look malnourished. Just concerned. Not trying to flame you.

How old is your pic? You look like a young child dressed as superman

It was taken the other day actually....by me as my son stands proudly in his Superman PJ's. Your turn.
  • v6s30
    Options
    OP - how old is your pic...you look malnourished. Just concerned. Not trying to flame you.

It was taken the other day actually....by me as my son stands proudly in his Superman PJ's. Your turn.

It is me 2 years ago at 120lb . Keeps me motivated.
  • v6s30
    Options

There I've changed it - no disgusting obscene collar bones for you to be disgusted by
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    And since we are on beer trivia, Miller lite has more alcohol than Guinness. Guinness also clocks in at 125 calories per 12 oz. serving.

Me I have chosen Sierra Nevada Pale Ale as my low calorie pick lately. 175 per 12 oz. Well its low for me anyway.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Instead of drinking regular beer (miller, bud ect..) Try getting into good quality craft beers. It's usually the caloric equivalent of 2 of those beers, but twice as good. If you have a sweet tooth, you can find solid, hearty beers that are like drinking dessert. Here's my favorite:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0JxX0g3-votXHBxOGLgHA0qpH69AVZ5pJ0FwfpHc2ndWQ9tbenw

I like craft beers too but I was not a fan of the Banana Bread beer. I went in with high expectations and left with meh.

We will have to agree to disagree here. I'd love to have those on tap. This one is a good second place:

Southern-Tier-Creme-Brulee.jpg

or this!

20131110_114852.jpg

I was happy with my:

The-Boys-Club-Sam-l-Smith-organic-raspberry-450x300_zps933dadff.jpg

But you guys are making me thirsty once more.

Or... have you tried this?

Edit to add: I LOVE this... It's seriously dessert in a bottle!

youngs-double-chocolate-stout.jpg
  • mdtme721
    mdtme721 Posts: 1
    Options
    I hear you, sister. You're not the only one. Weight management, establishing and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is extremely difficult. Rewarding myself with a couple/few beers at the end of a day keeps me working out and eating lighter.

http://www.ratebeer.com is a great resource for calories and alcohol content.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Instead of drinking regular beer (miller, bud ect..) Try getting into good quality craft beers. It's usually the caloric equivalent of 2 of those beers, but twice as good. If you have a sweet tooth, you can find solid, hearty beers that are like drinking dessert. Here's my favorite:

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout.

OH MY GODS

Chocolate and beer and so, so, so good.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Firstly I think you need a 12 step program like AA because you sound like a raging alcoholic. No one should be skipping meals to drink alcohol (which to the other comment-er your body DOES treat like poison fyi) and the mentality of need a drink to deal with your problems or setting your life aside for drinking is like a MASSIVE sign of an addiction/problem. You can talk about how much you're not addicted but why don't you go to a psychologist and prove it to yourself.

Secondly if you're only eating 1250 calories a day and exercising AND not eating it back, that's not good. Based off of all the comments you've made you sound like you have an eating disorder. Plus looking at your photo you already look REALLY thin. Massive collar bones sticking out, no "meat" on your hands and tiny little wrists.

Assuming you're NOT a troll, I would advise AA meetings and an evaluation for an eating disorder at this point. OR stop drinking, eat back your calories and actually attempt to be healthy. Maybe eat MORE calories, I don't know your size.

So here's the deal: Your argument is entirely invalid. There's a logical fallacy called affirming the consequent. In laymen's terms, it's basically the act of making a gigantic, unjustified assumption. You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirming_the_consequent

We know that alcoholics feel as if they require alcohol due to their addiction. That is a true statement, and there exists a plentiful amount of data to back it up.

The individual starting this thread made a statement saying they don't want to cut out beer. That is also a true statement, as we have all seen with our own eyes.

However, by assuming that the original poster of this thread is automatically an alcoholic due to their affinity to beer, you're just affirming the consequent. It's not logically sound.

Beyond basic rules of logic, however, you're also being a downright bully. No joke. Accusing someone of having an eating disorder, even going as far as ragging on their physical appearance when you say "Plus looking at your photo you already look REALLY thin. Massive collar bones sticking out, no "meat" on your hands and tiny little wrists."? That's bully material.

If you were addressing someone overweight, it would certainly be considered bully-like behavior to say something like "Based off everything you said, it seems like you have a massive over-eating problem; I mean LOOK at your photo, you already look REALLY FAT, with your MASSIVE hips with SO MUCH "meat" on them. Obviously that's an awful thing to say. Why is it suddenly any less awful when it's targeting the physical traits of a thinner girl, instead of a heavier one?

I would strongly advise you to reconsider the way in which you both formulate your arguments, and the manner in which you use those illogical conclusions to mistreat others. Especially in a community aimed at the betterment of its individuals.

Holy Crap! Extraordinarily well said :love:

I agree, well said.

Also, some days at work just suck it.

SUCK IT!

Some people work with the bottom of the barrel.

Some people have jobs that most people are more comfortable pretending don't exist.

Some people clean **** out of water.

Some people counsel children who have been raped.

Some people deal with aspects of life that are so disturbing most people just block it out.

Hat's of to them (me being one of them) and if they want a drink at the end of the day, who the hell are you to judge them?
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Ok I've had the best idea... I can have a beer with a vodka added... beer taste... more alcohol!

thats called a power shandy where I come from, its alright.

My wife and I actually mix this by the pitcher in the summer. They are quite refreshing :drinker:

Grr, now I am thirsty!!!
  • dcarter1020
    dcarter1020 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hiya. I am 5ft8 and 146lb (female) and am looking to lose another 20 pounds..

My total calorie goal is 1250 excluding tea and coffee (almond milk no sugar) so probably ends up at 1300

I am finding it hard to fit alcohol into my daily allowance. After work I feel like I need a drink or two and can't imagine not drinking... so to fit into my calorie goal i'm having to skip dinner in favor of beer.

Do you guys know of any really low calorie beers I can buy with good alcohol content? Thanks :)

We're the same height and you're at my goal weight. What's it like?? I bet it's dreamy. Enjoy your beer!!!
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options

A drinking problem is when you can't stop after a couple.

Wrong! A drinking problem is when you feel you NEED to have alcohol, not just want, which is what OP said. It doesn't matter how much. Also if it interfers with your daily life. Which if OP is replacing beer for nutritious food it is interfering with her life.
  • Keasteregg
    Keasteregg Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That's what I think too. . .
  • Keasteregg
    Keasteregg Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout.

OH MY GODS

Chocolate and beer and so, so, so good.

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!! What's a troll?
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    AA seems like a better option than MFP

This

I can see your halos from here. :drinker:
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Ok I've had the best idea... I can have a beer with a vodka added... beer taste... more alcohol!

thats called a power shandy where I come from, its alright.

My wife and I actually mix this by the pitcher in the summer. They are quite refreshing :drinker:

Grr, now I am thirsty!!!

Add some lemonade and you have a drink for your pool party!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I am a lover of all things beer...good beer...anything that is going to be "lite" and low cal is also going to be total piss. Nothing better than coming home to a frosty craft beer or two in the evening. In all honesty, I like riding my bike...but I put in the miles that I do because I love craft beer...knocking out the miles on my bike is better than skipping on dinner IMHO...because I really like dinner too...and also nutrition and stuff.

ride-bikes-drink-beer-184x184.jpg
  • GhostriderMav
    GhostriderMav Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I made a category in my diary that is for drinks. I try to limit it to one but I usually have two. I use the calories as part of my day.