Can't give up alcohol - started replacing meals with beer...

Options

Replies

• teknosprite
    teknosprite Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I generally have 1-3 drinks a night, most nights. I fit them into my calorie goal but my total calories are probably 2 drinks higher than yours so it is easier. If its gonna put me over and i really want the drinks, i make sure i exercise the calories off. Also, whatever else i eat, especially if i cut down bc i know im going out and will be drinking, i make sure what i eat is def healthy. Also, snacking consistently rather than separating into meals helps too. When i let myself too hungry, thats when i binge on junky food.
  • Trillian2010
    Trillian2010 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Michelob Ultra Dark has 95 calories and around 4.5% alcohol. I tried it the other day, and was pleasantly surprised. I agree with you that it's great to be able to unwind a bit and still remain within your calorie goal.
  • barbtidlytastic
    Options
    michelobe does
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I don't have a drinking problem but I do need a drink to help with my other problems...

Only alcoholics say they don't have a drinking problem.
  • v6s30
    v6s30 Posts: 43
    Options

We're the same height and you're at my goal weight. What's it like?? I bet it's dreamy. Enjoy your beer!!!

It's OK, but I still feel a little chubby :) Good luck with your weight loss x
  • v6s30
    Options
    I don't have a drinking problem but I do need a drink to help with my other problems...

Do you have a drinking problem?
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options

er, in my experience, needing a drink to help with problems is where it all begins...
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    21% proof beer

beer_27970.jpg
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Firstly I think you need a 12 step program like AA because you sound like a raging alcoholic. No one should be skipping meals to drink alcohol (which to the other comment-er your body DOES treat like poison fyi) and the mentality of need a drink to deal with your problems or setting your life aside for drinking is like a MASSIVE sign of an addiction/problem. You can talk about how much you're not addicted but why don't you go to a psychologist and prove it to yourself.

Secondly if you're only eating 1250 calories a day and exercising AND not eating it back, that's not good. Based off of all the comments you've made you sound like you have an eating disorder. Plus looking at your photo you already look REALLY thin. Massive collar bones sticking out, no "meat" on your hands and tiny little wrists.

Assuming you're NOT a troll, I would advise AA meetings and an evaluation for an eating disorder at this point. OR stop drinking, eat back your calories and actually attempt to be healthy. Maybe eat MORE calories, I don't know your size.

So here's the deal: Your argument is entirely invalid. There's a logical fallacy called affirming the consequent. In laymen's terms, it's basically the act of making a gigantic, unjustified assumption. You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirming_the_consequent

We know that alcoholics feel as if they require alcohol due to their addiction. That is a true statement, and there exists a plentiful amount of data to back it up.

The individual starting this thread made a statement saying they don't want to cut out beer. That is also a true statement, as we have all seen with our own eyes.

However, by assuming that the original poster of this thread is automatically an alcoholic due to their affinity to beer, you're just affirming the consequent. It's not logically sound.

Beyond basic rules of logic, however, you're also being a downright bully. No joke. Accusing someone of having an eating disorder, even going as far as ragging on their physical appearance when you say "Plus looking at your photo you already look REALLY thin. Massive collar bones sticking out, no "meat" on your hands and tiny little wrists."? That's bully material.

If you were addressing someone overweight, it would certainly be considered bully-like behavior to say something like "Based off everything you said, it seems like you have a massive over-eating problem; I mean LOOK at your photo, you already look REALLY FAT, with your MASSIVE hips with SO MUCH "meat" on them. Obviously that's an awful thing to say. Why is it suddenly any less awful when it's targeting the physical traits of a thinner girl, instead of a heavier one?

I would strongly advise you to reconsider the way in which you both formulate your arguments, and the manner in which you use those illogical conclusions to mistreat others. Especially in a community aimed at the betterment of its individuals.
    Excellent post.
  • Liggy302
    Liggy302 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Please please please seek help. There are non-alcoholic drinks which I imagine taste fairly similar (I'm a non drinker so I don't really know) but I do think the "need" for alcohol is cause for concern. There's plenty of help out there but you need to make the first step. :) Good Luck
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Do you have a drinking problem?

Nope, I've never had a drink in my life :smile:
  • v6s30
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys, I have thought about it and have decided that I AM going to include my exercise calories as much as possible into my daily allowance. I am having fewer cheat days nowadays anyway and I am less likely to go crazy if I have a little bit more.
  • iciclek1139
    iciclek1139 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am sorry everyone was so judgmental. I Exercise For Wine! I like to have a glass or two at night - not every single day, but most days. Some people eat cake, I have wine. It doesn't make you an alcoholic to enjoy some wine. Americans are very puritanical about this. In other countries, you have wine with dinner and its not even a thought!
  • All4Me2014xx
    All4Me2014xx Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    There's a difference in having a glass of wine just because you feel like having one, and replacing food with beer. Americans are not puritanical about enjoying a choice of drink, but when that choice of drink replaces common sense, then we just say nope, not going to agree with that.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    You need help.
  • iciclek1139
    Options
    There's a difference in having a glass of wine just because you feel like having one, and replacing food with beer. Americans are not puritanical about enjoying a choice of drink, but when that choice of drink replaces common sense, then we just say nope, not going to agree with that.

People were calling her an alcoholic based on no information.

I think the bigger problem here is that 1200 calories is not enough for a healthy woman to eat in a day.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    I am sorry everyone was so judgmental. I Exercise For Wine! I like to have a glass or two at night - not every single day, but most days. Some people eat cake, I have wine. It doesn't make you an alcoholic to enjoy some wine. Americans are very puritanical about this. In other countries, you have wine with dinner and its not even a thought!

A glass or two of wine is different than replacing food with getting hammered off vodka or beer because it "helps your problems."

That SCREAMS alcoholism.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

People were calling her an alcoholic based on no information.

I think the bigger problem here is that 1200 calories is not enough for a healthy woman to eat in a day.

No the bigger problem is that she NEEDS a drink or 2 a day & that she's replacing calories that should be filled with nutrition .....with this drinking. Replacing a whole entire meal with booze & then still not eating any exercise calories back IS a sign of trouble.

An alcoholic will stop eating in favor of a drink.... been there
    An alcoholic will make an excuse to keep going....been there
    An alcoholic does not see the problem.... yep been there

An alcoholic in recovery can easily spot another one that is NOT in recovery cause they see themselves in that person.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'd say we are, based on numerous comments I've read here over the years.

That said: I agree the OP's post suggest an issue. Not going to arm chair diagnose what that issue is, unlike so many others here.

But yes, I DO think many Americans have a very puritanical take on alcohol.
  • iciclek1139
    Options
    I'd say we are, based on numerous comments I've read here over the years.

That said: I agree the OP's post suggest an issue. Not going to arm chair diagnose what that issue is, unlike so many others here.

But yes, I DO think many Americans have a very puritanical take on alcohol.

I'd say more eating disorder than alcoholism. Actual alcoholics don't stop at two beers (there's a lot of it in my family). Unless there's something she's not telling us. It's the need to deprive herself of food to give herself something that she enjoys because she's simply not consuming enough calories. Hell, if my daily intake were 1200, I'd be crabby at the end of the day, too.