Can't give up alcohol - started replacing meals with beer...

Options

Replies

• Mnecka
    Mnecka Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend shots over mixed drinks or beer. The calories really start to add up with the juices, sodas and mixers.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Hiya. I am 5ft8 and 146lb (female) and am looking to lose another 20 pounds..

My total calorie goal is 1250 excluding tea and coffee (almond milk no sugar) so probably ends up at 1300

I am finding it hard to fit alcohol into my daily allowance. After work I feel like I need a drink or two and can't imagine not drinking... so to fit into my calorie goal i'm having to skip dinner in favor of beer.

Do you guys know of any really low calorie beers I can buy with good alcohol content? Thanks :)

http://getdrunknotfat.com/
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    To address the addiction part – I have a very stressful life and don’t see the problem in having a few drinks in the evening to help me relax. I would stop drinking if it was causing me health problems.
    I know a few people who have had substance abuse problems (alcohol or drugs or whatever) and "recovered." When they "recovered," they turned to something else to feed their addiction. Every one of them.

Sometimes it was God (and there is a difference between simply being a religious person and being addicted to it), sometimes food. So ... you're just saying you need to trade one unhealthy addiction for another (assuming you aren't a troll, which I still doubt) in order to deal with your life stresses,

And as others have said, healthy stats do not mean no eating disorder. Bulimics tend to be healthy weights, and some binge eaters are also healthy weights.

You are an adult and we're all strangers, but you've said a lot of things in here that are concerning (if true).

And to those who think people seeing this as an issue are "non-drinkers," maybe you ought to think about whether you have problems, too. I have a drink or two every once in a while. I have even been quite drunk more than once in my life. But I don't "need" alcohol for anything. I can enjoy it and walk away from it with no problem.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    when i got dumped a few months back i skipped dinner everyday for 2 weeks for a 12 pack of busch light....dropped 15 lbs and looked amazing!!!!!!!
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I don't have a drinking problem but I do need a drink to help with my other problems...

Your desire to drink in certain situations is tantamount to other peoples desire to eat in certain situations...

thehungerscale-Gdr7Svag24wmjcf33AZBen.jpg

If you removed those "other problems" then you wouldnt need a drink and would have no problem hitting your goals.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Ok, trying to respond to the questions
    The reason I made this thread is because I need some lower calorie alcohol drinks to fit into my calorie allowance, PLUS I do not WANT to have to skip dinner – so thank you to everyone who has given me their tips – much appreciated. O2cnpl – GREAT advice, thank you :)

To address the addiction part – I have a very stressful life and don’t see the problem in having a few drinks in the evening to help me relax. I would stop drinking if it was causing me health problems.

Thank you so much courtneymaybe – I didn’t know how to respond to the poster you quoted because I was shocked to be criticized on how my body looks – I have a pear shape and my upper body doesn’t have much fat on it. I have provided my stats and it is obviously I am not underweight!

AshleyLeelett – I really want to lose weight, but I have a feeling that if I didn’t have a drink to look forward to I would start looking forward to ice cream or something instead – totally counter-productive. Everyone has their comforts right?

Ice cream would be a better option actually. It has some good nutrients in it whereas alcohol has none. Also, your body does not metabolize anything (fat, protein, carbs) until it has finished metabolizing all of the alcohol in your system. Drinking alcohol is far more counter-productive to weight loss than anything else you could replace it with at the same caloric intake. Drink everyday if you want but don't delude yourself into thinking the alcohol is better than ice cream.
  • v6s30
    v6s30 Posts: 43
    Options
    Thank you so much courtneymaybe – I didn’t know how to respond to the poster you quoted because I was shocked to be criticized on how my body looks – I have a pear shape and my upper body doesn’t have much fat on it. I have provided my stats and it is obviously I am not underweight!

AshleyLeelett – I really want to lose weight, but I have a feeling that if I didn’t have a drink to look forward to I would start looking forward to ice cream or something instead – totally counter-productive. Everyone has their comforts right?

Ice cream would be a better option actually. It has some good nutrients in it whereas alcohol has none. Also, your body does not metabolize anything (fat, protein, carbs) until it has finished metabolizing all of the alcohol in your system. Drinking alcohol is far more counter-productive to weight loss than anything else you could replace it with at the same caloric intake. Drink everyday if you want but don't delude yourself into thinking the alcohol is better than ice cream.

If I started eating ice cream every night I would eat a whole pint. A few drinks is enough for me and definitely makes me feel better than an ice cream coma.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Ok, trying to respond to the questions
    The reason I made this thread is because I need some lower calorie alcohol drinks to fit into my calorie allowance, PLUS I do not WANT to have to skip dinner – so thank you to everyone who has given me their tips – much appreciated. O2cnpl – GREAT advice, thank you :)

If alcohol relieves stress and I am lactose intolerant than this is a no brainer for me.
  • Luluke7767
    Luluke7767 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like to have a glass or 2 of red wine most nights. I'm trying to make sure I get the most nutrition I can out of the calories I consume (no empty calories), plus exercise a little more. If I find I'm not losing I'll cut back to maybe only having wine on the weekends but it is something I enjoy.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Instead of drinking regular beer (miller, bud ect..) Try getting into good quality craft beers. It's usually the caloric equivalent of 2 of those beers, but twice as good. If you have a sweet tooth, you can find solid, hearty beers that are like drinking dessert. Here's my favorite:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0JxX0g3-votXHBxOGLgHA0qpH69AVZ5pJ0FwfpHc2ndWQ9tbenw

I like craft beers too but I was not a fan of the Banana Bread beer. I went in with high expectations and left with meh.

We will have to agree to disagree here. I'd love to have those on tap. This one is a good second place:

Southern-Tier-Creme-Brulee.jpg

or this!

20131110_114852.jpg
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Having a craving for a beer or two every day is the same as having a craving for a soda or a candy bar.

However! I read about girls in college who would do the same thing and replace meals with alcohol. This was classified as an eating disorder and not alcoholism. Don't do it! It's crazy!

My advice...do an intense workout for 30 minutes every day (that’s what I do). You will burn about 300+ calories and have room for 2 beers! You could also consider raising your calorie goal because 1200 for a 5'8" person sounds really low! Make it 1400-1500 (net calories)!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to all these A-holes calling you an alcoholic. Having a craving for a beer or two every day is the same as having a craving for a soda or a candy bar.

However! I read about girls in college who would do the same thing and replace meals with alcohol. This was classified as an eating disorder and not alcoholism. Don't do it! It's crazy!

My advice...do an intense workout for 30 minutes every day (that’s what I do). You will burn about 300+ calories and have room for 2 beers! You could also consider raising your calorie goal because 1200 for a 5'8" person sounds really low! Make it 1400-1500 (net calories)!

it's not the craving for the beer...it's the fact she takes beer over food and is only consuming a gross of 1250 anyway...

The extra exercise isn't going to help as she doesn't eat back her current exercise calories.

To the OP in all honesty at your height you could eat more and still lose weight, so why not up your calories to 1400 and eat exercise calories back...

looking for lower calorie drinks is not the answer...I am shorter than you and older and I lost on 1400+exercise calories which is a gross of 1600 calories..
  • brower47
    Options

If I started eating ice cream every night I would eat a whole pint. A few drinks is enough for me and definitely makes me feel better than an ice cream coma.

More power to you, just addressing your logical fallacy. I cannot help you with your portion/impulse control issues. Good luck.
  • ROBINSTL67
    ROBINSTL67 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Instead of drinking regular beer (miller, bud ect..) Try getting into good quality craft beers. It's usually the caloric equivalent of 2 of those beers, but twice as good. If you have a sweet tooth, you can find solid, hearty beers that are like drinking dessert. Here's my favorite:

I like craft beers too but I was not a fan of the Banana Bread beer. I went in with high expectations and left with meh.

We will have to agree to disagree here. I'd love to have those on tap. This one is a good second place:

That looks incredible! Since I don't know how to post a pic, I'll just ask if anybody has tried this? It's my favorite beer this summer:
    http://urbanchestnut.com/beer?id=1112&cat=Bottles
  • brower47
    Options

or this!

20131110_114852.jpg

I was happy with my:

The-Boys-Club-Sam-l-Smith-organic-raspberry-450x300_zps933dadff.jpg

But you guys are making me thirsty once more.
  • ROBINSTL67
    Options

That looks incredible! Since I don't know how to post a pic, I'll just ask if anybody has tried this? It's my favorite beer this summer:

Apparently I also don't know how to post a link. Urban Chestnut Schnickelfritz. Delicious!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Turning to food for comfort isn't the answer either. If it were just a "one of those days" type deal, I'd be inclined to say, "eh, it happens. Go have that drink or eat a bunch of ice cream."

But this sounds like a regularly occurring thing and whether it's "feeling" like you HAVE to have a drink to deal with your problems or overindulge in certain foods...that is concerning and again, please consider talking to someone.
  • rileyleigh
    rileyleigh Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't drink alchohol, but i think perhaps i can relate with my favorite soda, Mountain Dew. On my high stress work days, 32 oz of mountain, or more, was all that kept me sane. Or so i thought.

When i started coutning calories, i realized that the Dew was killing my weight loss. So i cut back from 32 oz or more, to 1 12 oz can a day. After a while, i cut back to a few a week. Now i drink it occassionally when i want to.

Guess what, i am still sane. I was sure that mountain dew was all that was keeping me from succumbing to the stress, and the headaches. Now i drink it less than twice a month and i don't even have much of a craving for it. I'm still doing just fine with all of the other stresses/problems in life.

Take it as you will.
  • brower47
    Options

Apparently I also don't know how to post a link. Urban Chestnut Schnickelfritz. Delicious!

Here you go:

SNF_bottle_zps37213e05.jpg
  • ROBINSTL67
    Options

Here you go:

SNF_bottle_zps37213e05.jpg

Thank you!