Can't give up alcohol - started replacing meals with beer...

Options

Replies

• jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    And if you're skipping nutrition for poison, please go talk to someone immediately.

Poison??

Where do you get your info from?

It's not poison! It's alcohol!

Ethanol is a rather effective antimicrobial commonly used to swab down lab benches. I use it in a spray bottle to clean all touchable surfaces during cold and flu season as well as regular cleaning. It is also hepatoxic and neurotoxic. So I would say it is definitely a poison. There is a very thin line between the drinking dosage and alcohol poisoning!
  • jojokmack
    jojokmack Posts: 117
    Options
    ........and I am not being a bully, just honest. I AM an alcoholic and I know how easy it is to become one. I also agree with what someone before me said, you have to think about what you want most, losing weight or having a drink. I know what my choice is :)
  • shadesof66
    shadesof66 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've done my homework, I too indulge on occassion. :)

Beck light 64 calories 3.8 % alcohol
    miller 64 calories 2.8% alcohol
    Michelob ultra 95 4.2% alcohol
    amstel light 95 calories 3.5% alcohol
    coorlight 102 calories 4.2% alcohol
    corona light 99 calories 4.5% alcohol.

Ha this is awesome - I love corona light and coors. Guilty pleasure. Nothin like a corona at the beach... ahhhhhh

^^^^^^ this

and just to add Cheers to all my MFP friends its Beer 30...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Firstly I think you need a 12 step program like AA because you sound like a raging alcoholic. No one should be skipping meals to drink alcohol (which to the other comment-er your body DOES treat like poison fyi) and the mentality of need a drink to deal with your problems or setting your life aside for drinking is like a MASSIVE sign of an addiction/problem. You can talk about how much you're not addicted but why don't you go to a psychologist and prove it to yourself.

Secondly if you're only eating 1250 calories a day and exercising AND not eating it back, that's not good. Based off of all the comments you've made you sound like you have an eating disorder. Plus looking at your photo you already look REALLY thin. Massive collar bones sticking out, no "meat" on your hands and tiny little wrists.

Assuming you're NOT a troll, I would advise AA meetings and an evaluation for an eating disorder at this point. OR stop drinking, eat back your calories and actually attempt to be healthy. Maybe eat MORE calories, I don't know your size.

So here's the deal: Your argument is entirely invalid. There's a logical fallacy called affirming the consequent. In laymen's terms, it's basically the act of making a gigantic, unjustified assumption. You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirming_the_consequent

We know that alcoholics feel as if they require alcohol due to their addiction. That is a true statement, and there exists a plentiful amount of data to back it up.

The individual starting this thread made a statement saying they don't want to cut out beer. That is also a true statement, as we have all seen with our own eyes.

However, by assuming that the original poster of this thread is automatically an alcoholic due to their affinity to beer, you're just affirming the consequent. It's not logically sound.

Beyond basic rules of logic, however, you're also being a downright bully. No joke. Accusing someone of having an eating disorder, even going as far as ragging on their physical appearance when you say "Plus looking at your photo you already look REALLY thin. Massive collar bones sticking out, no "meat" on your hands and tiny little wrists."? That's bully material.

If you were addressing someone overweight, it would certainly be considered bully-like behavior to say something like "Based off everything you said, it seems like you have a massive over-eating problem; I mean LOOK at your photo, you already look REALLY FAT, with your MASSIVE hips with SO MUCH "meat" on them. Obviously that's an awful thing to say. Why is it suddenly any less awful when it's targeting the physical traits of a thinner girl, instead of a heavier one?

I would strongly advise you to reconsider the way in which you both formulate your arguments, and the manner in which you use those illogical conclusions to mistreat others. Especially in a community aimed at the betterment of its individuals.

not saying I agree with whom you are debating with but you missed the part where she said..."I don't having a drinking problem I need to drink to deal with my other problems"...then went onto say...I am not an alcholic because it's always after 5pm...

I mean really...

Oh and grossing 1250 a day for food, replacing some of those with beer...yah okay...

Oh and grossing 1250 a day when you are at a healthy weight usually indicates another issue.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5' 8" female and went from 145 lbs to 135 lbs eating 1800 - 2000 cals a day. Beer fits into that goal, a long with regular food. You could probably stand to up your calories, depending on your activity level, and rather than replacing a meal with nothing but a beer, have the drink along with a healthy dinner, and still lose the weight.

^^this and....
    2cwnz3k.jpg

Thirded.

You could also increase your activity level. For me, eating smaller amounts of food is hard, so I have to bust my *kitten* at the gym.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Firstly I think you need a 12 step program like AA because you sound like a raging alcoholic. No one should be skipping meals to drink alcohol (which to the other comment-er your body DOES treat like poison fyi) and the mentality of need a drink to deal with your problems or setting your life aside for drinking is like a MASSIVE sign of an addiction/problem. You can talk about how much you're not addicted but why don't you go to a psychologist and prove it to yourself.

Secondly if you're only eating 1250 calories a day and exercising AND not eating it back, that's not good. Based off of all the comments you've made you sound like you have an eating disorder. Plus looking at your photo you already look REALLY thin. Massive collar bones sticking out, no "meat" on your hands and tiny little wrists.

Assuming you're NOT a troll, I would advise AA meetings and an evaluation for an eating disorder at this point. OR stop drinking, eat back your calories and actually attempt to be healthy. Maybe eat MORE calories, I don't know your size.

So here's the deal: Your argument is entirely invalid. There's a logical fallacy called affirming the consequent. In laymen's terms, it's basically the act of making a gigantic, unjustified assumption. You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirming_the_consequent

We know that alcoholics feel as if they require alcohol due to their addiction. That is a true statement, and there exists a plentiful amount of data to back it up.

The individual starting this thread made a statement saying they don't want to cut out beer. That is also a true statement, as we have all seen with our own eyes.

However, by assuming that the original poster of this thread is automatically an alcoholic due to their affinity to beer, you're just affirming the consequent. It's not logically sound.

Beyond basic rules of logic, however, you're also being a downright bully. No joke. Accusing someone of having an eating disorder, even going as far as ragging on their physical appearance when you say "Plus looking at your photo you already look REALLY thin. Massive collar bones sticking out, no "meat" on your hands and tiny little wrists."? That's bully material.

If you were addressing someone overweight, it would certainly be considered bully-like behavior to say something like "Based off everything you said, it seems like you have a massive over-eating problem; I mean LOOK at your photo, you already look REALLY FAT, with your MASSIVE hips with SO MUCH "meat" on them. Obviously that's an awful thing to say. Why is it suddenly any less awful when it's targeting the physical traits of a thinner girl, instead of a heavier one?

I would strongly advise you to reconsider the way in which you both formulate your arguments, and the manner in which you use those illogical conclusions to mistreat others. Especially in a community aimed at the betterment of its individuals.
    I won't disagree with the fact that mentioning her appearance was uncalled for (personally, I think she looks fine, anyway), but this is what she ACTUALLY SAID in her OP:
    After work I feel like I need a drink or two and can't imagine not drinking... so to fit into my calorie goal i'm having to skip dinner in favor of beer.
  • Janlo26
    Janlo26 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    AA seems like a better option than MFP

^ this^
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I feel you. Try a Michelob Ultra Amber. Don't get the regular Mich Ultra it takes like water. The amber is ok. I didn't like the Miller 64. I also struggle to find alcohol calories and I like a cocktail, glass of wine, or beer with dinner most nights. If you just have 1 you don't need a 12 step program.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options

I'm not going to make a judgement call on your actual drinking because it really isn't any of my business. The problem with alcohol is it is for the most part it is empty calories although beer has been shown to aid in muscle recovery after running and there are associated health benefits to drinking wine. Years ago, port wine was recommended for those who were anemic. Aside of that, if you are skipping meals in favour of alcohol, you have an increased risk of malnutrition and associated problems. Since you are not eating back exercise calories on a regular basis, you could try eating back perhaps half of them to give you a bit more caloric room for the alcohol you want. At any rate, any calories from actual food should be high quality calories meaning no junk food, no fast food (high sodium which adds to the dehydrating issue of alcohol), and limited processed foods. Aim instead for whole foods that will help minimize the effects of the alcohol on your health.

There is an eating disorder where folks limit their caloric intake so they can drink alcohol and substance abuse is associated with 50% of eating disorders https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/substance-abuse-and-eating-disorders This may or may not be of interest to you. I'm just putting it out there in case it may be of use to you or someone else reading.

so much of this. thank you for sharing. substance abuse and eating disorders are very important social/community health issues that are drastically under addressed.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Ok I've had the best idea... I can have a beer with a vodka added... beer taste... more alcohol!

Have you tried http://www.vaportini.com/
  • v6s30
    v6s30 Posts: 43
    Options
    Ok, trying to respond to the questions
    The reason I made this thread is because I need some lower calorie alcohol drinks to fit into my calorie allowance, PLUS I do not WANT to have to skip dinner – so thank you to everyone who has given me their tips – much appreciated. O2cnpl – GREAT advice, thank you :)

To address the addiction part – I have a very stressful life and don’t see the problem in having a few drinks in the evening to help me relax. I would stop drinking if it was causing me health problems.

Thank you so much courtneymaybe – I didn’t know how to respond to the poster you quoted because I was shocked to be criticized on how my body looks – I have a pear shape and my upper body doesn’t have much fat on it. I have provided my stats and it is obviously I am not underweight!

AshleyLeelett – I really want to lose weight, but I have a feeling that if I didn’t have a drink to look forward to I would start looking forward to ice cream or something instead – totally counter-productive. Everyone has their comforts right?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

not saying I agree with whom you are debating with but you missed the part where she said..."I don't having a drinking problem I need to drink to deal with my other problems"...then went onto say...I am not an alcholic because it's always after 5pm...

I mean really...

Oh and grossing 1250 a day for food, replacing some of those with beer...yah okay...

Oh and grossing 1250 a day when you are at a healthy weight usually indicates another issue.

^Exactly. There are a lot of red flags in the things she's posted. Wouldn't hurt for her to go seek some help if she truly feels she can't go a day without a drink. Fitting things into your calorie goal is one thing, but still, moderation. And if you are really considering giving up meals on a consistent basis for alcohol, then it's time to take a step back and reevaluate things in your life.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    If you are willing to sacrifice your dinner for alcohol and "Can't give up alcohol," then weight loss isn't your biggest problem right now. But I'm not your mom, so do what you want. What is so great about Guiness that people keep mentioning it in terms of fitting it into calories? I have had it before, but I was never really much of a beer drinker. Just curious.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with alcohol v6, even daily if enjoyed reasonably, but I personally think you could stand to eat more and allow yourself to have more calories per day. Not eating back your exercise calories is also a bad idea.

Nobody is out to criticize you, I'm more concerned for your health.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Ok, trying to respond to the questions
    The reason I made this thread is because I need some lower calorie alcohol drinks to fit into my calorie allowance, PLUS I do not WANT to have to skip dinner – so thank you to everyone who has given me their tips – much appreciated. O2cnpl – GREAT advice, thank you :)

To address the addiction part – I have a very stressful life and don’t see the problem in having a few drinks in the evening to help me relax. I would stop drinking if it was causing me health problems.

Thank you so much courtneymaybe – I didn’t know how to respond to the poster you quoted because I was shocked to be criticized on how my body looks – I have a pear shape and my upper body doesn’t have much fat on it. I have provided my stats and it is obviously I am not underweight!

AshleyLeelett – I really want to lose weight, but I have a feeling that if I didn’t have a drink to look forward to I would start looking forward to ice cream or something instead – totally counter-productive. Everyone has their comforts right?

You don't have to be underweight to have an alcohol problem or an eating disorder. Just putting that out there.
  • shadesof66
    shadesof66 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    And if you're skipping nutrition for poison, please go talk to someone immediately.

Poison??

Where do you get your info from?

It's not poison! It's alcohol!

Ethanol is a rather effective antimicrobial commonly used to swab down lab benches. I use it in a spray bottle to clean all touchable surfaces during cold and flu season as well as regular cleaning. It is also hepatoxic and neurotoxic. So I would say it is definitely a poison. There is a very thin line between the drinking dosage and alcohol poisoning!

OK - now we have to take a CHILL PILL people....everything at the right dose is a poison FFS....even WATER (yes it is)....regarding ethanol as an antimicrobial and bench swab the concentration used is almost 90 % v/v (thats 180 proof to those who don't know)...meaning GET REAL here...alcohol in beer is 4 % its not gonna poison you (unless you really go on a bender)...she just wants to drink a beer at the end of the day FFS...leave him/her the **** alone and get a LIFE....
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I am disappointed.....OP didn't accept my FR. People who skip meals to drink are the kind of people I want to be friends with.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Sounds like more of a drinking problem to me than a weight problem. Think about maybe not drinking.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    try crack - no calories.

That's called the "Stem-fast diet."
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Instead of drinking regular beer (miller, bud ect..) Try getting into good quality craft beers. It's usually the caloric equivalent of 2 of those beers, but twice as good. If you have a sweet tooth, you can find solid, hearty beers that are like drinking dessert. Here's my favorite:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0JxX0g3-votXHBxOGLgHA0qpH69AVZ5pJ0FwfpHc2ndWQ9tbenw

I like craft beers too but I was not a fan of the Banana Bread beer. I went in with high expectations and left with meh.

We will have to agree to disagree here. I'd love to have those on tap. This one is a good second place:

Southern-Tier-Creme-Brulee.jpg

Want. Want so badly.