Can't give up alcohol - started replacing meals with beer...

Options

Replies

• FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I don't have a drinking problem but I do need a drink to help with my other problems...
    If that's not the definition of a drinking problem, I don't know what is.
  • v6s30
    v6s30 Posts: 43
    Options
    Frenchmob I don't drink until after 5pm so...
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I don't have a drinking problem but I do need a drink to help with my other problems...
    post-11921-Aww-yiss-owl-gif-Imgur-V8Ro.gif
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hiya. I am 5ft8 and 146lb (female) and am looking to lose another 20 pounds..

My total calorie goal is 1250 excluding tea and coffee (almond milk no sugar) so probably ends up at 1300

I am finding it hard to fit alcohol into my daily allowance. After work I feel like I need a drink or two and can't imagine not drinking... so to fit into my calorie goal i'm having to skip dinner in favor of beer.

Do you guys know of any really low calorie beers I can buy with good alcohol content? Thanks :)

You sound like fun:smokin:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Ah, the good old monk diet.

Some guy did actually lose weight by drinking beer and beer alone for the 40 days of Lent... however, this is not recommended for everyone. It's also of note that, like monks of yore (and today, even), the beer was unfiltered, full of more B vitamins, etc. etc.

As for the dropping food in place of alcohol... I'd say your calories could be higher for your height/weight/age anyway, allowing for room for more alcohol. Plus, if you're not eating back your exercise calories, you have even more room to be fitting in both alcohol and food.

Calorie wise, drink good beer--a good craft beer might be 2-300 calories, but could be an ABV of 10%~. Conversely, Guinness and some other decent beers have pretty low calories (but lower ABVs, and I know you wanted "more alcohol"?).
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks for the replies

To be honest beer fills me up pretty well so it's a pretty good substitute for dinner hunger wise.. anyway I am usually highly active - at work I am on my feet all day and on days off I am walking my dog and doing housework... but I have cheat days a few times a week where I go out to bars/clubs/parties and usually eat pretty badly on those days too. That's why my calorie goal is 1250 - to make up for cheat days.

Anyway, I think I'll start drinking spirits then.. or maybe wine?

Wine is as bad or worse than beer calorie wise

Guiness - Just drink it!
  • mamurray24
    Options
    I wouldn't skip meals for beer...but Yeungling light is my light beer of choice. It doesn't suck as much as some of the other light beers. I tend to just drink GOOD beer every once in a while (or on weekends) instead of settling for crappy beer all the time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    AA seems like a better option than MFP

This
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks for the replies

To be honest beer fills me up pretty well so it's a pretty good substitute for dinner hunger wise.. anyway I am usually highly active - at work I am on my feet all day and on days off I am walking my dog and doing housework... but I have cheat days a few times a week where I go out to bars/clubs/parties and usually eat pretty badly on those days too. That's why my calorie goal is 1250 - to make up for cheat days.

Anyway, I think I'll start drinking spirits then.. or maybe wine?

Ok that makes more sense for the reason why you are eating so low. What I would do is consider aiming more for a weekly goal rather than a daily goal when it comes to the calories you gain from physical exercise. For example, if you gain 500 calories from running today, make that 500 calories usually any time during the week and not just on the day you worked it.

Weight watchers is a great program and is also a calorie counting program like fitness pal. What WW does that is smart is it requires you to eat a certain amount per day, but allows you to exercise and save extra calories for parts of the week. In other wards, you can have a bad day once in a while if you save up calories for it.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Just want to reinforce that 1) I am not a troll, I have been using this website for years... and 2) I do not eat back my exercise calories... so I need to fit alcohol every day into 1250

Like a lot of people have said, it's not going to work. You van't have your cake (or beer as the case may be) and eat it too in this case. If you aren't willing to eat back your exersise calories, then I don't really know what you're looking for people to tell you?

As mentioned, beer has calories. A lot. Either drink less, drink less often, switch to a lower calorie drink, or say eff it and drink all the calories. I know you're looking for low calorie beers with good alcohol content, but that doesn't really exist. Soooooooooooooooo that leaves you at square one.
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    try crack - no calories.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

All right. I was on the fence. I call troll, too.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    All these haters.....This post makes me want to be your friend. I would suggest Guinness.....good beer and not crazy on cals.
  • v6s30
    Options
    Ok I've had the best idea... I can have a beer with a vodka added... beer taste... more alcohol!
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I'd say switch to weed ... but that, unfortunately, opens another Pandora's box of endless munchies. :smokin:

I've heard meth is fun aaand suppresses your appetite win win!
  • v6s30
    Options

Oh FFS. Message me and I'll link you my facebook
  • v6s30
    Options
    All these haters.....This post makes me want to be your friend. I would suggest Guinness.....good beer and not crazy on cals.

I love guinness
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Ok I've had the best idea... I can have a beer with a vodka added... beer taste... more alcohol!

winner!!!
    end thread
    mystery solved

Dammit. This could've gone on for dayyys :grumble:
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Firstly I think you need a 12 step program like AA because you sound like a raging alcoholic. No one should be skipping meals to drink alcohol (which to the other comment-er your body DOES treat like poison fyi) and the mentality of need a drink to deal with your problems or setting your life aside for drinking is like a MASSIVE sign of an addiction/problem. You can talk about how much you're not addicted but why don't you go to a psychologist and prove it to yourself.

Secondly if you're only eating 1250 calories a day and exercising AND not eating it back, that's not good. Based off of all the comments you've made you sound like you have an eating disorder. Plus looking at your photo you already look REALLY thin. Massive collar bones sticking out, no "meat" on your hands and tiny little wrists.

Assuming you're NOT a troll, I would advise AA meetings and an evaluation for an eating disorder at this point. OR stop drinking, eat back your calories and actually attempt to be healthy. Maybe eat MORE calories, I don't know your size.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Oh FFS. Message me and I'll link you my facebook
    Because? I'm not saying you don't exist. I'm doubting the sincerity of your post.