50 Shades - Great, or the Greatest?

Options

Replies

• criticaldog
    criticaldog Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of ignorance regarding the books and now the coming movie, but this thread takes the cake. Holy crap, does it ever take the cake.

I KNOW! I can't believe half of the things people are writing here. I doubt half of them even ever read the series. Just a bunch of armchair critics for the new york times armchair review, writing armchair reviews for armchairs they haven't even sat in.

I'm fairly new to the MFP forums, so I have no idea if you are legit or being sarcastic. I hope sarcastic. While it's fine to get some folks worked up, it in no way should be indicative of a healthy or safe D/s relationship, according to many of the people I know who are into D/s and have read it.

Just like Twilight is a fantasized version of what would be an abusive stalker relationship in real life.

Very unhealthy, very damaging to young women.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of ignorance regarding the books and now the coming movie, but this thread takes the cake. Holy crap, does it ever take the cake.

I KNOW! I can't believe half of the things people are writing here. I doubt half of them even ever read the series. Just a bunch of armchair critics for the new york times armchair review, writing armchair reviews for armchairs they haven't even sat in.

Sorry, but I did read the books. Painfully. Suffered through every page.

The sweet suffering kind? Like they teach us in the books?

No, the wanting to vomit with disgust kind, actually.
  • aaamberxx
    aaamberxx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Absolutely appalling series of books. Incredibly wrong portrayal of the BDSM community. Going to copy/paste a very important article I read just barely identifying the issues with this book:
    Wanna know the BDSM mantra? Safe, sane, consensual.

So let me explain why this book was devoid of all three of these things.

Safe - In the first few chapters of the novel, Christian Grey tracks Ana’s cell phone to find her at a club. Takes her home when she’s drunk, changes her when she’s so intoxicated she doesn’t remember him doing so,and informs her he will be keeping tabs on her for her own benefit. This is not the behaviour of a respectable Dominant. This is the behaviour of a power hungry, abusive *kitten* who really can’t take no for an answer.

Sane - One of the most important parts of BDSM is aftercare. Scenes can be extremely traumatizing and intense for the submissive. Aftercare is anything from petting to cuddling to holding to sweet talking, whatever degree of gentleness a bottom would need to pull them out of “subspace”. How does Christian provide aftercare? He submits Ana to a traumatizing first time spanking experience AND THEN ****ING LEAVES. AND GETS MAD THAT SHE DIDN’T TELL HIM SHE WAS UPSET. He’s the one who should ****ing know better! That, again, is not the act of a responsible Dominant. It’s the act of a selfish abuser.

Consensual - Did I mention he undressed her when she was belligerently drunk? Tracked her phone to locate her? He also buys her a new car despite her saying no countless times. Now, consent is important for any kind of sexual activity at all. Consent means informed, consent means enthusiastic. Informed, enthusiastic consent. This is crucial in a BDSM setting. Scenes can be extremely intense, especially for the bottom. What is Christian’s form of obtaining consent? Handing Ana a ****ing contract highlighting all the things he wants to do her *kitten* and asking her to sign it. She was a virgin (Don’t even get me ****ing started.) who had never before been exposed to BDSM. Entering in that kind of relationship takes a gargantuan amount of trust and knowledge so you know exactly what you’re getting into. Not reading a list of kinks on a piece of paper and signing your rights to say no away. Christian didn’t offer her resources, he didn’t offer her information. He gave her an ultimatum.
    ****. This. book. It’s written in a ****ty way, it’s a terrible example of a BDSM relationship (ask anybody already involved in the lifestyle and watch them go blue in the face just thinking about it), which is already faced with enough prejudice and misunderstand, and it romanticizes and glorifies abuse.

I understand that you may like the book itself, but there are definitely much better!!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Those books taught me everything I know about relationships.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    OP, you are really really bored today.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

Actually, I was talking about how blindly ignorant you are, but now I think you're just trolling.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Appalled at the closed-mindedness. It's like 1692 in here.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I think the nay-sayers are forgetting the book was written by a women.

Yurippe, I'm sure you're a fine girl as well but this website (to say nothing of the novels we're discussing!) is for people over the age of 18 years, and from your profile picture you are clearly a two- or possibly three-year-old child.

I'm mature for my age.
  • Veil5577
    Options

Think so? I happen to write erotica and have had some things published. Difference is I write GOOD erotica.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

Closed mindedness vs ignorance. I think ignorance is viewing knowledge as clonsed-mindedness. Get some education on the subject. It will help you out a lot.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Great book! Great story of a Male American Hero!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I dont want to be on this planet any more.

Agreed.

When you two leave the planet will you take me with you?? Please
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Think so? I happen to write erotica and have had some things published. Difference is I write GOOD erotica.

I think I read some of your erotica earlier on my friend's wall.
  • Veil5577
    Options

I think I read some of your erotica earlier on my friend's wall.

I doubt that. I can spell.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I've heard it advocates assault, abuse, exploitation and rape...
    Sounds fabulous. And yes, I'm aware of what BDSM is...and that this book does not accurately represent what that type of sexual play is about.

I have not read it...in all fairness. However I've never been tempted to either.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Wait, it's not a how-to guide for tinting paint??
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Fairly simple question. I've never seen a work of fiction so thoroughly explore women's issues. Can't believe they're making it into a film, considering Hollywood's penchant for populist pandering. Hard to believe that they'll tackle the hard issues like identity and sexual politics, and womens liberation -- all themes masterfully explored in the series.

You, my dear, have not read enough. Those were HORRIBLY written books.

Try Anne Rampling's series (Anne Rice) or Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series. More recently, Sophie Morgan's Diary of a Submissive is an awesome book on the subject of submissive women.

You're welcome.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I should FR you...:flowerforyou:
  • aaamberxx
    aaamberxx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Sounds fabulous. And yes, I'm aware of what BDSM is...and that this book does not accurately represent what that type of sexual play is about.

I have not read it...in all fairness. However I've never been tempted to either.

Thisss!! ^^

Also it was written as a fanfiction to Twilight.... how embarrassing.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

Well I certainly don't advocate any of those things!