Ignorant local pronounciations that stick...

Options

Replies

• IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    I am from Hull, Yorkshire, England, but in Hull, our accent/dialect, we don't pronounce the letter 'H' so people from here say ULL' even our football (soccer) and Rugby teams promote merchandise branded 'ULL' I don't find it ignorant personally, I understand some gripes with pronunciations of certain places, like completely changing the spelling.
    You (as in people from Hull) can't pronounce the split digraph o-e correctly.
    Coke becomes curk
    Made my giggle the first time I went to McDonald's at St. Andrews Quay.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

I'm curious... How do you pronounce it correctly? I need some phonetics here.

kike in doll

So I looked up the pronunciation and this is what my search returned...

kerr ken doll
    Kuy - sounds like 'Ker' (rhymes with "her")
    kendahl = ken doll, like Barbie's Boyfriend

So" kike in doll" may not be correct...! Heck what do I know, I never saw or heard the name/word until now! LOL!
    "Da(rn)" would be a better word to describe the (da)hl sound, as Brits pronounce doll quite differently from Americans.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Lazy is probably more germane than ignorant. Anything French screws everyone up, it seems.

Lafayette
    de Montbrun anglicanized as Demonbreun, and none of the local pronunciations are even CLOSE to the original-- most popular being "dee-MUM-bree-un". Took me forever to figure out what the hell street people were talking about.
    Bâton Rouge I think about 1/3 of people I hear say this get this one right. . .
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different so I don't really care. More important things in life to worry about.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

I'm curious... How do you pronounce it correctly? I need some phonetics here.

kike in doll

So I looked up the pronunciation and this is what my search returned...

kerr ken doll
    Kuy - sounds like 'Ker' (rhymes with "her")
    kendahl = ken doll, like Barbie's Boyfriend

So" kike in doll" may not be correct... :-) Heck what do I know, I never saw or heard the name/word until now! LOL!

http://www.houstoniamag.com/news-and-profiles/city-and-region/articles/whats-in-a-street-name-may-2013
    Kuykendahl

Kirk-en-doll. The absolute gold standard when it comes to separating the Houstonian from the non-.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Okay, here's one for the Brits: Gloucestershire. I think I recall it without the "ce" in there, but I'm not sure.

There are many tricky areas in London, too. Marylebone looks to be read Mary-le-bone, but I vaguely remember Maryl-bone.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Boston: anything with an 'r'....

'cah' (car)
    'Havidd' (Harvard)
    'pahk' (park)....

I could go on for days....

ETA: 'mi-yenn' (mine)
    Options
    My grandma used to criticise my pronunciation of 'properly' (prop-ley)... My solution - stop saying it around her and use 'correctly' instead. Lol
  • dpwellman
    Options
    Oh. I forgot!
    bruschetta - dated a woman who actually got in TROUBLE at work (waitress in upstate WI) for pronouncing it correctly. One would think restaurateurs would know better
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Apparently in the mid-west they have problems with French pronunciations of French words. Particularly in the names of their cities and towns.

I'm looking at you Versailles, Indiana (Ver-sales)

How would you pronounce Des Moines?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    when someone pronounces it "expresso" i die a little inside.

and this is not pronounced like the city in Texas.

HOUSTON-STREET-SIGN.jpg

I only know this (How-stun) from an episode of Young and the Restless.

I'm going to add gyro, because I used to call them (jy-rows) until I was corrected by a Greek man after I ordered one. So I started calling them (yee-rows), then I went to a Greek restaurant and ordered one, and he called it (jy-row)! Make up yer damn minds!
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    This isn't an incorrect pronunciation, but I dislike when people refer to a city by saying just the Area code like they are some hard gangster or something.

Ugh, they do that in Virginia Beach all the time! Drives me nuts.
    Options
    Okay, here's one for the Brits: Gloucestershire. I think I recall it without the "ce" in there, but I'm not sure.

There are many tricky areas in London, too. Marylebone looks to be read Mary-le-bone, but I vaguely remember Maryl-bone.

Yep glos-ter-shire. Same as Leicestershire -les-ter-shire.
    My husband and I both say mar-lee-bone.
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    There is a guy from Boston in my office and he constantly says Jalapeeeeeeno or JalapEno,, I want to tell him thats not how you say it. Its JalapeNo y-ish accent on the N,, even though it doesnt have the ~ over it,, its stil JalapeNo. (halapenyo)

or "all up en ya" as my hubby likes to pronounce it :laugh:

I speak french, spanish, and some German so I notice a lot of mispronunciation. :smile:
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Warsh for wash

car-mel for car-a-mel

Illinoisssssss with the S

and don't get me started on Des Moines....
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Oh. I forgot!
    bruschetta - dated a woman who actually got in TROUBLE at work (waitress in upstate WI) for pronouncing it correctly. One would think restaurateurs would know better
    How's the incorrect way? Brusch (German, like English brush) - etta?
  • dpwellman
    Options
    There's a whole slew of Wisconsin cities that no one can pronounce.
    Yep!
  • AglaeaC
    Options

Yep glos-ter-shire. Same as Leicestershire -les-ter-shire.
    My husband and I both say mar-lee-bone.
    Ah ha! Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Apparently in the mid-west they have problems with French pronunciations of French words. Particularly in the names of their cities and towns.

How would you pronounce Des Moines?
    Not Dess Moinsss, but DeMoins. ?
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Indiana ain't France... it's their town, they can say the name any way they want....

Do you get upset when the people of New Orleans pronounce in N'awlins? Or Worcester, Mass is pronounced Wooster? Should the good folks in Paris, TX say they live in PARE-ee? (not if they don't want their respective *kitten* kicked)

Language is local and the locals make the rules... if you want French names with French pronunciations, there's always France, or Quebec, or Haiti, or...